Carnival "Chef's Table" as a Solo?

Seagull7

I'll be traveling solo on the Carnival Glory in September and seriously thinking about paying to attend the Chef's Table special dinner. Has anyone else done this by themselves? Did you find it awkward being in such a small group for this type of dining? Any thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D

Maggie

Having also done this solo on The Norwegian epic,I thought it was great.no different than the set dining times in the main room when I sailed on carnival and shared a table.well one big difference was the free flowing wine and such made for a lot of laughs with my new friends.and the food was outstanding!

Edited by Tedj6050

There has been at least one other solo every time I have done Chef's table. It's such a great dining experience,I wouldn't hesitate to book it. You can actually sign up before boarding to insure you get a spot.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.ashx

Pre-Cruise Reservation Procedures

Prior to the cruise, guests can send an email to Group Event Planning at:eventplanning@carnival.com.

Requests must be submitted no later than 7 days prior to the sail date.

The subject line should read ‘Chef’s Table Request’ and the email should include the following information:

Names

Number of guests attending (children must be 12 years of age and older)

Ship and Saildate

Booking Number and Cabin Number

Group Event Planning will email the request to the specific ship Maitre d’.

The Maitre d’ will respond directly to the guest if they are able to accommodate the request.

Once onboard, the guest’s Sail & Sign card will be charged.*

On Board Reservation Procedures

Reservations can be arranged on board with the Steakhouse Hostess.

On those ships that do not have a Steakhouse (Fantasy-Class, Carnival Triumph and Carnival Victory), reservations can be arranged on board with the Maitre d’.*

Edited by AdrenalineRush

I was a solo traveler on the carnival Valor in May and did the Chef's table, it was really wonderful. Very intimate and great conversation with the group. There was another member of our table that was solo as well. Go for it! your will not be sorry.

For reasons I don't know, I was invited for the special meal on the NCL Epic. While all the other guests were couples, for some reason the purser was seated besides me.

All in all it was a great experience, don't let the idea of being a single a table with mostly couples stop you. You still get to enjoy something that only a small percentage of people will every get a chance to do.

Enjoy your life.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

I've done the chef's table solo on carnival several times. There wasn't ever another solo at the table, except once there was a family of three, so I guess maybe the third sort of counted as a solo?

I found it to be a delicious meal, but socially it was just "meh", as those next to me sort of seemed like they were put upon when I tried to converse with them. I think that's natural - of course they'd prefer to talk to their Significant Other, and I didn't take offense.

Truthfully, the meal is wonderful, and I'd do it again if I sailed when there was a new menu.

I'm a solo booked for a Chef's Table on Carnival Liberty on the August 23 sailing. I figure I want to have a great, unique meal while on board so regardless of who else will be at the table, I booked it in advance. Granted, I'm extroverted enough to be able to hold a conversation. There's a potential friend in every seat. But still glad to hear others had a good experience as a solo!

• 3 weeks later...
I was solo and seated at the head of a table for 13. The lady next to me was sooooo booooring it was unbearable. Her husband paid no attention to her.

Oh, lordie, we had the same experience! And, the more the woman drank, the more unbearable it became. Her husband just started at his food and barely looked up!

OP, I've never done CT solo (hoping to on my next cruise), but it's a situation that would lend itself well to solo attendance. Everyone's seated at the same table, and both times we've experienced it, there's been a lot of conversation between different parties. I hope you enjoy it!