Post Cruise Tour Question Re: Flights Home

Jane2357

I'm posting both here and on the Celebrity board. We booked a 6 night post cruise tour - and am surprised at the lack of information with details or guidance that we are getting - we are left just guessing. My question is - we end our tour in Fairbanks with tours during the day and an overnight with transfer to the airport for flights home the next day. The options are we either catch flights at 1:30 A.M. or around 5:30 P.M. Can I assume that the transfer would get us to the airport in a reasonable A.M. hour so that we can check in our luggage leaving us with part of the day to explore around on our own or do most people jump on those red eye flights? I'll be plenty ready to get home by then but I can't imagine getting no sleep and jumping on the first of several flights to get back to Florida. Anyone care to share how you did it?

Also if we chose to take the later flights - are we able then to get a rental car at the airport and explore a bit on our own or is that unfeasible? How far out is the airport in Fairbanks? Would we be smarter getting no sleep and taking the red eye or could we sleep in, check out late and tool around the airport waiting for the 5:30 P.M. fight. I hate to think we will arrive home exhausted with the red eye.

Sorry can't answer your questions about your tour, but can give some Fairbanks info. We just returned from Alaska, spent almost a week in Fairbanks. The airport is not huge so can't imagine spending much time there. It's quick and easy to get a rental car at the airport. We used Avis (they were most inexpensive at the time I booked.). There are others to chose from, I'd book before you leave. Fairbanks is not big, but is spread out. The airport is a 5 to 10 minute drive to things to do. You could either head to University of Alaska and enjoy their museum, gardens, and animal research facility and/or drive into town. If you drive into town park in the large visitor center's parking lot, enjoy the visitors center and then walk around town from there, no need to move the car. The Crepery is a nice place for lunch in town. A different choice would be to go to Pioneer Park. Enjoy your vacation! Let me know if you have other questions.

I always recommend adding time in Fairbanks, you see very little on cruise tours. You can not check in your bags at the airport in the am, for an overnight flight. You usually only have a 4 hour window. Rent the car, offers way more opportunites and easy to keep your bags with you.

The airport is right on the edge of Fairbanks, minutes away.

http://www.explorefairbanks.com and head to your library, there is plenty to see and do.

We will be in Fairbanks next week beginning our trip. After a full day of travel we plan to have a leisurely day going to the Morris Thompson Cultural Center and Pioneer Park (open 12 to 8) for our post day before our cruise tour begins. I would catch a later flight perhaps the next day if you have the opportunity to stay an extra night. Enjoy your vacation!

Jane: Do you know which hotel you will be staying in while in Fairbanks? I would be surprised if any of the hotels would not be able to secure your luggage for a day if you select the 5:30 PM flight. Have your purchased transfers to the airport?

The Fairbanks airport is on the west end of town. All of the major rental car companies have desks and cars at the Fairbanks airport, but particularly in the summer reservations are a must. Also, I am not aware of any luggage storage lockers at our airport (but then again, I wouldn't ever need one). If you are flying out on Alaska Airlines I know that they will not accept luggage more than four hours before a flight, which appears to be the industry standard.

GrizBear mentions the "visitor's center parking lot" which is a reference to the Morris Thompson Cultural Center.

We generally fly down to Florida at least once a year. We usually take the 1:30 AM (time tends to vary) Alaska Airlines flight out to Seattle and then take their non-stop into Ft. Lauderdale. If we are going to Miami we find it easier to use one of the shuttle services (we use GoShuttle) to pick us up at the Ft. Lauderdale airport and deliver us to our Miami hotel.