Noise and vibration SB5190/5191 Oosterdam

richarduk

We're considering an aft wraparound on Oosterdam and looking at 5190 or 5191. We would appreciate some experience as to how outside noise and vibration on the balcony compares to staterooms on starboard and port midships. I realize it will be more, but how much more?! Thanks:)

Edited by richarduk

We just booked 5190 on a cruise in September. The comments I got regarding these two rooms on another post were that they are the 'penthouse' suites on this ship. The best rooms on the ship.

While nothing specifically regarding noise and vibration was mentioned, the comments were positive.

We're considering an aft wraparound on Oosterdam and looking at 5190 or 5191. We would appreciate some experience as to how outside noise and vibration on the balcony compares to staterooms on starboard and port midships. I realize it will be more, but how much more?! Thanks:)

We did a partial Panama Canal on Zuiderdam in 5191 and have Oosterdam booked for 5190 this December for S. Carb.

We love these cabins due to the HUGE balconies - could have 40 people on them at once with no problem! We like to have 1-2 dinners on the balcony due to the great views and minimal wind (most of the time). Great cabins if you are having guests stop by (your friends will be SO jealous!).

As to the vibration - we did not notice anything unusual. Obviously it was not bad or we would not be booking again on a sister ship. Stay with deck 5 IMO - fully covered, so great in sun and rain and no one can look down onto your balcony (unlike all the other aft-wraps.)

Edited by DaveOKC

Our noise experience in aft wrap cabins on Vista Class ships is merely the sound of the wake which is quite soothing to the senses.

The only vibration that comes to mind was when the rear thrusters were being used to move the ship sideways while in port.

vtx, hope you are on the September 13th sailing because I booked 5190 yesterday for the September 20th departure.

Ha! We are on the Sep 13th sailing. We originally had an aft cabin on deck 8 but I got the hankering to upgrade since this trip is to celebrate our 15th anniversary and my 50th birthday.

When I found out there were still 3 aft wrap cabins open, I was stunned and excited. It took forever to change our booking and I think I lost $300 in onboard credits but don't care at this point. The countdown is on.

We just came off the Oosterdam and were in aft-facing cabin 4183. We were adjacent to the corner suite, which would be directly below cabin 5191.

While we did enjoy this location, I will say that we did experience some vibration during our Alaska cruise, particularly if we were going greater than 20 knots. At lower speeds, we did not notice anything. We weren't necessarily bothered by the vibration, but it caused a lot of rattling in the metal partition separating our balcony from the adjacent balconies. Thankfully, this did not happen often because we only cruised greater than 20 knots a couple of times. Also, we sleep with a white noise machine so that was able to block out most of the vibration/rattling when we were sleeping.

However, that being said, I think the floors above us would probably experience less vibration than we did because those cabins don't extend out as far as our balcony did and they definitely have more cover than ours, which had very little.