Cirque Terre - when to hike, ferry, train?

summergirlinWI

We are going to hike between Monterosso and Vernazza - is this the area we will see the "iconic shots of Vernazza"? Or do we go past to see that?

Yes, that is the trail. Now, it is right out of Vernazza, so if you are hiking starting in Monterosso, it will be at the end.

I loved one of my photos I took so much that 1) had it blown up to a 24x36 canvas that sits above my living room sofa and 2) is the back of my business cards.

• 2 weeks later...
Cornishpastyman1 - many thanks for sharing the video. It was incredibly well done and has whet my appetite for our upcoming 3 days in Cinque Terre in May 2016. Again, many thanks!

Thanks ! How wonderful to have 3 days there - that's the way to do it. Time to poke around, have a drink/meal here and there, take it slow. So much better than my day there, which I still loved, even though the weather was not the best.

We were in Cinque Terre last year and I was intent on hiking at least part of the coastal trail. The only part open was between Monterosso & Vernazza, so we hiked that. I know I am kind of slow and it was VERY hot - in early May - but it took almost 3 hours. We did stop for photos, but not that long. So plan on 3 hours & maybe you can do it faster. I noticed one person saying you could hike up from Vernazza to get the classic view, which may be a good idea. You would miss the excitement of doing upon the view, but it would be quicker. But probably at least an hour from Vernazza for the "first" - farthest - view of the town, so you might not save that much time. The main thing I remember besides the fabulous views is having to use the bathroom for at least the last hour and being frantic to find on upon reaching Vernazza, as was everyone else on the trail! There is no place to step off the trail and go even if you wanted to. But it was a lovely hike.

A word about the trains - we did seem to spend a lot more time than we expected waiting for the trains. We also took the ferry which was beautiful.

crimlaw - thank you for that post. I still fear that people think that the Vernazza-Monterosso trail is easily done. I did it in 90 minutes and that was a lot because my friend's husband was intent on doing it FAST and we were trying to keep up with him (dang men). We were both sucking wind when we reached Monterosso - thank goodness we found a juice stand for an electrolyte charge. We had both finished our 32oz bottles of water on that trail!

mygreyhound - which town are you basing your 3 days? I loved being based in Vernazza; the town after all the tourists leave was just so calm and relaxing.