FOS help with port questions

Hi. Going on the FOS in January and my husband has mobility issues. We will take his scooter. I have been looking at the things to do at St Marten and St Thomas for people who use scooters or wheelchairs. Has any one done these activities? Also wondering if just getting off the ship and browsing any shops at the ports would work. Thanks for any ideas. This is our first Caribbean cruise. It is not so easy when both of us can't do the walking.

Hi. Going on the FOS in January and my husband has mobility issues. We will take his scooter. I have been looking at the things to do at St Marten and St Thomas for people who use scooters or wheelchairs. Has any one done these activities? Also wondering if just getting off the ship and browsing any shops at the ports would work. Thanks for any ideas. This is our first Caribbean cruise. It is not so easy when both of us can't do the walking.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread, as my mother has mobility issues and has rented scooters from the cruise lines. Unfortunately they do not allow the rentals off the ship so we would push her around on her chair which we did bring.

Our experience was, that even the "accessible" excursions booked through the ship were, at times, still difficult.

On st Maarten, the main shopping area is normally about a 15 minute walk on nice sidewalks. Once you are in town you do not have to deal with automobile traffic, so free for the scooter to get around. I do not recall if there were side walk ramps, so it may be difficult getting in and out of the shops?

St Thomas, it has been 10 years since I have been there??

Saw several people being pushed in wheelchairs in St. Maarten. It is only a short distance to the shops. The pier is long, but it's flat ground so not difficult. You can get a private driver if there is more you want to see and the ship offers excursions that you could do with mobility issues. We've been to St. Maarten a few times so all we did this time was to walk around the shopping area. There are also places where you can get a snack, meal or a drink in the shopping area.

My husband had MS and we used to rent a scooter from Care Vacations and then he started using his own. Both were allowed of the ship and the crew was very helpful

I suggest you also post under Special cruising under Disabled