Picking up purchased liquor on debarkation

MsMot

I guess that we can forget about using the Luggage Express service if you bought liquor unless you bring another bag to check in at the airport.

This was posted on another thread

Carnival said that if you are participating in Luggage Express, you will get your liquor the night before so you can pack it.

Not all of us can be the last to leave the ship. Some of us have to catch an airplane. Retrieving liquor and repacking a suitcase(s) adds two more things to do on debarkation day. I guess that we can forget about using the Luggage Express service if you bought liquor unless you bring another bag to check in at the airport.

See post #76

I always buy 4 bottles of liquor to bring home from my cruises to give out to friends/ family and keep a bottle for my liquor cabinet. Last week on the Pride was the first time in 15 Carnival cruises that I didn't buy any. When I was in the shop, I asked if the new policy was in effect and was told that my cruise was the Pride's first one not delivering the liquor the night before. The girl had no idea how it would work, all she knew was that pick-up was the morning of debarkation in the theater on deck 2. I chose not to buy anything, as I didn't feel like dealing with picking it up. No big deal. It's just fun to buy since it's the bigger bottles and fairly inexpensive.

The morning of debarkation, we were passing the theater for early self assist debarkation in the Red Frog Pub and noticed the sign for the pick-up area outside the theater. Not only were they having passengers pick up liquor purchased onboard or in ports, but it was also the area for picking up confiscated items. No thanks. The morning of debarkation I want off the ship early--I never have breakfast or walk around. I just want off, my cruise is over and we want to get started on the trip home.

Quite possibly the pick up went very smoothly, I have no idea. I didn't walk inside the theater to see how crowded or how empty it was. On my next cruise, I may possibly buy some liquor, but most likely it would be in one of port shops or from a local liquor shop and not onboard. But, I may skip it altogether.

I always buy 4 bottles of liquor to bring home from my cruises to give out to friends/ family and keep a bottle for my liquor cabinet. Last week on the Pride was the first time in 15 Carnival cruises that I didn't buy any. When I was in the shop, I asked if the new policy was in effect and was told that my cruise was the Pride's first one not delivering the liquor the night before. The girl had no idea how it would work, all she knew was that pick-up was the morning of debarkation in the theater on deck 2. I chose not to buy anything, as I didn't feel like dealing with picking it up. No big deal. It's just fun to buy since it's the bigger bottles and fairly inexpensive.

The morning of debarkation, we were passing the theater for early self assist debarkation in the Red Frog Pub and noticed the sign for the pick-up area outside the theater. Not only were they having passengers pick up liquor purchased onboard or in ports, but it was also the area for picking up confiscated items. No thanks. The morning of debarkation I want off the ship early--I never have breakfast or walk around. I just want off, my cruise is over and we want to get started on the trip home.

Quite possibly the pick up went very smoothly, I have no idea. I didn't walk inside the theater to see how crowded or how empty it was. On my next cruise, I may possibly buy some liquor, but most likely it would be in one of port shops or from a local liquor shop and not onboard. But, I may skip it altogether.

I am confused here? If you buy liquor from "a local liquor shop" in a port, don't you have to turn it in when you get back on the ship and then pick it up on debarkation morning?. I was not aware that you could just walk on with it and take it to your cabin.

What if you do Luggage Express? You don't have access to anything but your carry on luggage until you get to your home airport?

Oh nevermind...I see the answer now....missed it earlier.

Edited by BamaCruiser20

you can't bring any alcohol aboard, they will hold it until the end of the cruise.

There are no laws broken. You claim your liquor with C&I.

That's not true. It they take it, you'll never get it back,

I am confused here? If you buy liquor from "a local liquor shop" in a port, don't you have to turn it in when you get back on the ship and then pick it up on debarkation morning?. I was not aware that you could just walk on with it and take it to your cabin.

Sorry for the confusion in my prior post. Yes, I would still have to go the morning of debarkation and pick up liquor purchased off the ship. I guess I'm just over buying liquor onboard since they can't deliver it to my room. I know, kinda silly, but that's how I feel currently. Carnival makes their decisions. I'll make mine. I still love cruising the line and just booked another cruise while onboard last week.

Some more of my reasons are----Carnival's selection lately (in my opinion) isn't as good as the port shops or the local liquor stores on the islands. And even though Carnival price matches, why not just buy it off the ship if it's cheaper? When we were in Grand Turk last week, Johnny Walker Blue was $144 and on the ship it was $174. Same size. My husband (who doesn't even drink) wanted to buy it, cause he likes to give it to our company. I said whiskey is a fall/winter drink so I talked him out of it--said we'll get it later this year. Hope he forgets. Also, I like flavored Cruzan rums and Carnival stopped carrying that brand onboard a few years back but it's always in the off ship stores in a lot of flavors. And another reason for me to buy off the ship is that I sometimes like to buy a locally made liquor.

But. My main reason for not buying liquor on Carnival currently, is because they can't deliver two little boxes of liquor that I purchased from them to my cabin the before I debark.

Just sayin.

Will check out the booze policy on NCL when I sail them soon.

From our previous cruise on NCL, and to the best of my knowledge it still applies, on the final NIGHT of a NCL cruise you go to the on board store and pick up anything you have purchased on land or in their store. It took longer to walk down to the store from our room than it did waiting to get our items. When you purchased a bottle on land and brought it back to the ship, you got a "coat check" ticket with number and that is what you gave them when picking up your item. It worked really slick.

On some Carnival boards, I have heard horror stories about people not getting the right bottles delivered/people not getting any of their bottles/broken bottles/etc..... I am not crazy about picking it up the morning we leave, but I think I prefer picking it up and knowing right then & there you have your stuff then waiting to see what gets delivered to your room.

Just my two cents worth.......and my opinion might change after going on the Dream next month.

Count us in on not buying liquor on the ship again to bring home with us. We live 1 hour from the Canadian border and we'll just get our Sheridan's there, pay a small duty and drive home. It was just convenient buying it on the ship since we were already there. Carnival's loss.

Sorry for the confusion in my prior post. Yes, I would still have to go the morning of debarkation and pick up liquor purchased off the ship. I guess I'm just over buying liquor onboard since they can't deliver it to my room. I know, kinda silly, but that's how I feel currently. Carnival makes their decisions. I'll make mine. I still love cruising the line and just booked another cruise while onboard last week.

Some more of my reasons are----Carnival's selection lately (in my opinion) isn't as good as the port shops or the local liquor stores on the islands. And even though Carnival price matches, why not just buy it off the ship if it's cheaper? When we were in Grand Turk last week, Johnny Walker Blue was $144 and on the ship it was $174. Same size. My husband (who doesn't even drink) wanted to buy it, cause he likes to give it to our company. I said whiskey is a fall/winter drink so I talked him out of it--said we'll get it later this year. Hope he forgets. Also, I like flavored Cruzan rums and Carnival stopped carrying that brand onboard a few years back but it's always in the off ship stores in a lot of flavors. And another reason for me to buy off the ship is that I sometimes like to buy a locally made liquor.

But. My main reason for not buying liquor on Carnival currently, is because they can't deliver two little boxes of liquor that I purchased from them to my cabin the before I debark.

Just sayin.

i guess it might be just me but I drink whiskey all year round.