Rock Climbing Wall on Radiance - How does it work?

dnmc

Going on my 2nd cruise ever, to Alaska on Radiance of the Seas.

Can someone tell me how the Rock Climbing wall works?

Do they teach you how to do it if you have never done it before?

Is there a fee for using the rock wall?

Is there a sign up somewhere? Or is it first come first served?

Is it one climb up and you're done or based on a time reservation (eg. you have 15 minutes to go up and down as often as you wish)?

Would appreciate any and all info you can provide.

Read the cruise compass for opening time and you must wear socks. Head to the rock wall during opening and sign the waiver. You will be given a pair of climbing shoes and get harnessed up. It is first come first serve and generally you get to climb all the way up and come down. I am sure the staff can give you pointers if you have not climb before. And it costs nothing to climb and you can climb as many times as you like throughout the cruise.

If you go when it is not real busy you can climb several times during a session. Sometimes you may have to wait a few minutes between climbs but that is good as it gives your legs a chance to recover before you go up again. I have typically done 2-3 climbs per session. The different routes have different levels of difficulty.

You can sign the waivers online before you go so you don't have to worry about doing it once there. We were on the Freedom of the Seas and there was never a line for the rock climbing.

We have signed the waivers online. So now my kids can just show up and do the activities without me by showing their card correct?

Thanks,

LC

• 2 weeks later...
Not there. Maybe it is a UK thing.

On the online check-in, all I see is the 4 steps for the setsail pass and then the option to print luggage tags.

Same for me. Just completed the online check-in from Australia and I cannot see anywhere about a consent form for rock climbing.

We have signed the waivers online. So now my kids can just show up and do the activities without me by showing their card correct?

Thanks,

LC

Yes, however the kids might have to SPEAK UP about the fact that the waivers have already been signed online, as the staff is likely to ask, "are your parents here?" rather than, "have your parents already signed the waivers?".

We had this issue at first with my son and the FlowRider -- they asked if he had a parent with him and he said "no" and they told him he couldn't do it. We were still in port, so he texted me and asked me to come sign for him, and I reminded him that I did the online waivers. When he told the staff that the waiver had already been done online, they looked it up and then let him proceed.

So just remind the kids that any activity that "needs a parent to sign a waiver" might also need a reminder to staff to check their computers. ;)

• 1 year later...
If you go when it is not real busy you can climb several times during a session. Sometimes you may have to wait a few minutes between climbs but that is good as it gives your legs a chance to recover before you go up again. I have typically done 2-3 climbs per session. The different routes have different levels of difficulty.

Any idea what the difficult routes would be rated?

Do they allow your own shoes and chalk bag?

Any idea what the difficult routes would be rated?

Do they allow your own shoes and chalk bag?

I don't really know how the routes would be rated. Much of it depends on the ship's staff and how they set up the wall. I have been on some ships where I thought the routes that were rated as harder were not particularly challenging and on other ships I found them quite difficult. Sometimes it also depends on the time of day and the direction the ship is travelling in relation to the sun. I find the walls harder on a hot afternoon with the sun shining on them than I do in the morning when it is cooler.

I have no idea whether using any of your own equipment would be allowed or not due to liability issues.

Rough guess? Anything in the 5.11c-12b range?

I would say the easier routes might be around a 5.9 and the more challenging routes that I have encountered on the ships 5.10a-b and maybe a c. I don't think I've encountered anything that I would rate harder than 5.10c. I have climbed most of the Radiance, Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class walls. And it is certainly possible that the walls have had harder routes set up at times when I have not been aboard.

Thanks,

LC

Warning: on our 2014 Serenade cruise, I had to be there in order for my younger daughter to climb (9 years old at the time), but not for my older daughter (13). I'm not sure what the cutoff age was, but they wouldn't let my younger daughter climb without an adult to watch, even though the waivers were signed.