POA harbour views?

Tenn4ever

When POA is docked or tendered in Maui, Hilo, Kona and Kaui what are the views like from the ship? Industrial? Beautiful? Any thoughts? Worth sitting on the balcony and viewing?

Edited by Tenn4ever

When POA is docked or tendered in Maui, Hilo, Kona and Kaui what are the views like from the ship? Industrial? Beautiful? Any thoughts? Worth sitting on the balcony and viewing?

Probably depends on where your cabin is and how the ship is docked. I remember the views being pretty nice despite the industrial ports, but honestly, we were off the ship in a flash to see Hawaii and we did not return until either exhaustion set in or to prevent being left behind.:).

This is one cruise where you do not want to stay on board. Not that the ship is bad, but each island is so different, and so spectacular, it would be a shame to miss it to sit on a balcony, except for morning coffee or a night cap;).

Probably depends on where your cabin is and how the ship is docked. I remember the views being pretty nice despite the industrial ports, but honestly, we were off the ship in a flash to see Hawaii and we did not return until either exhaustion set in or to prevent being left behind.:).

This is one cruise where you do not want to stay on board. Not that the ship is bad, but each island is so different, and so spectacular, it would be a shame to miss it to sit on a balcony, except for morning coffee or a night cap;).

Definitely, that's what we plan on doing. We cruise to do but it would be nice to have a nice view if we want to spend a couple hours out on the balcony to relax...just wondering.

I recall that the port area in Kona was attractive and the others were not terrible (using Nassau as a benchmark, lol) but they were also nothing to write home about. They were industrial or urban (in the case of Honolulu). We have friends who were VERY disappointed in Hawaii and it puzzled me until I learned that they never ventured beyond the port area because they didn't want to spend the money to rent cars or do any research on what was where. Waste of money to travel like that I'm sure you agree!!!

We had a nice view from our aft balcony in Maui & Kauai... ship was docked with bow facing land. In Hilo, we had a view of the warehouses. In Kona, we tendered, so we had a great view there as well. Sunrises were incredible! Sunsets too!

Edited by azappraiser

I recall that the port area in Kona was attractive and the others were not terrible (using Nassau as a benchmark, lol) but they were also nothing to write home about. They were industrial or urban (in the case of Honolulu). We have friends who were VERY disappointed in Hawaii and it puzzled me until I learned that they never ventured beyond the port area because they didn't want to spend the money to rent cars or do any research on what was where. Waste of money to travel like that I'm sure you agree!!!

We are renting a car in every port but it's nice to come back in the late afternoon and relax a couple hours before dinner and a balcony with a view makes it worthwhile :-)

Edited by Tenn4ever

It all depends on what side of the ship you have your cabin on.

In Honolulu, its all pretty urban close up, with the mountains further in the background.

In Maui, the ship docks port side HOWEVER its just a small pier then you have nothing but ocean. On the starboard side you lookout over a small harbor then you have a great view of Maui.

Hilo is much of the same way... docks on the port side but the better view is on the starboard side.

Kona... Don't matter. You are anchored and tendering, so the view is always changing as the ship rotates around the anchor.

Kauai... The ship docks starboard side. However it is mostly industrialized right there with little to look at starboard side. The better view here is port side as you look across the harbor at un-populated mountains in Kauai.

Check out google earth and you will see what im talking about for these spots. Also keep in mind that while docking side I gave you are normally true... they can, and have occasionally changed.

Attached is a picture of the POA docked in Maui.

347336597_POAMaui.jpg.8d9798234884a62790db2ecddeea4c75.jpg

Edited by DetCruiser

It all depends on what side of the ship you have your cabin on.

In Honolulu, its all pretty urban close up, with the mountains further in the background.

In Maui, the ship docks port side HOWEVER its just a small pier then you have nothing but ocean. On the starboard side you lookout over a small harbor then you have a great view of Maui.

Hilo is much of the same way... docks on the port side but the better view is on the starboard side.

Kona... Don't matter. You are anchored and tendering, so the view is always changing as the ship rotates around the anchor.

Kauai... The ship docks starboard side. However it is mostly industrialized right there with little to look at starboard side. The better view here is port side as you look across the harbor at un-populated mountains in Kauai.

Check out google earth and you will see what im talking about for these spots. Also keep in mind that while docking side I gave you are normally true... they can, and have occasionally changed.

Attached is a picture of the POA docked in Maui.

On our cruise, the dock was on the starboard side in Hilo.

I see the POA each week while it is docked in Hilo and it varies as to which direction borders the dock. On one of our cruises I asked why this was and the answer was that it depends on what maintenance is being done that day while the ship is docked. Also, there is usually a crew lifeboat drill while the ship is docked in Hilo, so, launching the lifeboats from different sides may be a determining factor.