San Francisco - kid friendly things

Just booked a cruise for spring break next year with the grandkids. This cruise is more about them having fun since we have been there, done that already. DGS will be 11 and DGD will be 8.

I'm a planner so... We will be there from 7 am to 11 pm. That means something to do with them during the day and something for the evening. Alcatraz might be fun but that would only be a few hours. I'm looking to fill the entire time we will be there.

I don't mind renting a car if it can be done near the pier and there is something fun to drive them to.

My picks would be California Academy of Sciences, Aquarium of the Bay (NB: if you are also visiting Monterey Bay or Long Beach, this pales in comparison to either of those so skip it - but it's decent, especially if you pick up a GO SF card which gets you into CAS, this, a harbour cruise, HOHO bus between them all and much more; total bargain at c.$50 for 1 day - whoops, I lie, it was $50 in May when we used it but now it's $60 for adults!)

I have lived here 30 yrs and am a nanny. Exploritorium...no 1 attraction for kids of that age. academy of sciences is ok..pricey..and good for a couple of hours. I would go to pompanito submarine and museum mechanique (with a roll of quarters) at fisherman's wharf. maybe see the ships at hyde street pier. downtown (soma) at 4th and mission) is Zeum--great digital stuff hands on place. if you have more time, take the L-taraval muni train all the way out to the beach and go to the zoo. the zoo is across the street from the end of the line..takes at least an hour on train.but you see the real SF. a fun place to eat is toy boat cafe on 5th and clement.

tour the ball park. go to cable car museum (by chinatown)--free. rent bikes and ride down crissy field and up to the golden gate bridge. tour Ft. Point and learn about civil war forts. skip children's playground in gg park. nothing that special.

depending on interests, you could wander around japantown and eat dinner there and check out the bookstore if they like manga.

start the day with breakfast at the ferry building. lots of choices there. get alcatraz tickets as soon as you can as they sell out most the time. be sure and have a coat with you the entire day in sf no matter what the weather. we rarely get over 60. this week we are dying and it is 75-80. weather is different depending on what side of town you are at.

Within walking distance of the pier---

There is a shuttle between the pier and the Aquarium. But is a short walk. The taxi stand is here.

-For kitschy fun the Mechanical Museum (Musee Mecanique) on Fisherman's Wharf.

-Check out the bread flying overhead at Boudin's across the parking lot. Their sourdough 'mother' is older than the State of California. The snack bar has good food.

-Huge In n Out a few blocks away.

-Ghirardelli Square. If the uphill parlor is crowded, go to the takeaway at the lower street. Same price and usually quicker.

-Could get an Alcatraz/Angels Island ticket. Angels Island was used as an immigration point, similar to Ellis Island. Perfect if either grandchild is around the fourth grade.

-the Duck Tour.

-Chinatown is truly another world

Edited by SadieN

Thank you everyone - these are great ideas that I will do more research on. Great starting points for me. These kids are totally different. Michael loves trains, gadgets and instructing people. We go to Disneyland and go on a ride while he stays off and helps direct everyone in line. Kristina on the other hand is high functioning autistic and a true daredevil. She gets bored easily but put her on the Matterhorn and she is good to go. I have to make a good balance for the day.

Edited by notentirelynormal

there is a municipal railway museum almost across the street from the ferry building...just south where the historic trolley cars turn off embaradero and market street.

• 4 weeks later...

Pier 39 has a 7D theatre experience ~ it's about 10 min long. They also have this light maze type thing that you have try to walk through without setting off the alarm. Its for kids and adults. Only $12. We are in our early 40s and we'll be trying it out next month. Its called 7D Experience (I think). There is a viewing area where you can watch, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I live to the north of SF and have two boys, ages 11 and 9. We love to spend the day in the city being tourist. Someone else mentioned the 7D experience on Pier 39, that is a family favorite. We also enjoy the mirror maze and Rocket Boat also on Pier 39. Ripley's Believe It or Not was fun and so was Madame Tussauds. We recently did the Paniq (there are other companies that do the same thing) Room with a group of both adults and kids and had a blast. If the kids are open to new foods, we have done some fun sidewalk food tours (Little Italy and Mission District). Had a great time touring the baseball park and Alcatraz. We have rode the Ducks and done the dungeon and both were just ok. If I think of anything else, I will be back.

I live to the north of SF and have two boys, ages 11 and 9. We love to spend the day in the city being tourist. Someone else mentioned the 7D experience on Pier 39, that is a family favorite. We also enjoy the mirror maze and Rocket Boat also on Pier 39. Ripley's Believe It or Not was fun and so was Madame Tussauds. We recently did the Paniq (there are other companies that do the same thing) Room with a group of both adults and kids and had a blast. If the kids are open to new foods, we have done some fun sidewalk food tours (Little Italy and Mission District). Had a great time touring the baseball park and Alcatraz. We have rode the Ducks and done the dungeon and both were just ok. If I think of anything else, I will be back.

Looking at the webpage for the 7D experience I don't think is for us. He is a chicken for roller coasters and she is a daredevil. The problem is, she is autistic and will be too scared to do anything like that. It would be too much going on. She needs to go in one step at a time and once she is comfortable will jump in. We won't have time for that so it would be a waste. Unfortunately, again with the autistic thread, she eats plain and simple. She will try new things with the promise that if she doesn't like something she can spit it out.

However, I can trick my DGS on to the Shockwave boat :D. He's still a little bit p*ssed off that when he asked to go bungy jumping that for $40 I paid the extra $5 so I could push him off :D.

Am I correct in thinking that the ship will dock at Pier 39? That would work out perfect.