Denali questions (we're taking the shuttle)

bethohio3

Hi all!

We're planning our Alaska cruise (39 days!). We're cruising from Vancouver to Whittier on the Star Princess and then 2 nights at the Princess McKinley Wildness Lodge, 2 nights at the Denali Lodge, and then 1 night at the Fairbanks Lodge. We're staying another day in Fairbanks but don't yet know where we're staying.

For Denali, I got Wonder Lake shuttle tickets--if we decide we don't to go that far, we can always turn around earlier. We have an 8:45 departure time.

I have several questions:

• What time do we need to be at the Wilderness Access Center before the 8:45 shuttle?
  • Where are the best places to get a boxed lunch?
  • How long is the walk really between Princess Lodge and the WAC?
  • Is the Jonesville Trail a bike trail or a hiking trail?
  • In September, should we expect to need mosquito netting? (We don't have any but I saw them available on Amazon)
  • If we do a short hike, will we wish we had walking sticks?
  • Were there things I should have asked but didn't?

Oh yeah--and how the heck am I supposed to have so many different bags? Obviously, there's regular luggage. And then my day bag, which is a large purse. But if we're hiking, we'll want a back pack for lunches and water bottles and such. It's bad enough that I need bulky shoes for this trip--I don't want to pack a suitcase full of bags! :D

Hi all!

We're planning our Alaska cruise (39 days!). We're cruising from Vancouver to Whittier on the Star Princess and then 2 nights at the Princess McKinley Wildness Lodge, 2 nights at the Denali Lodge, and then 1 night at the Fairbanks Lodge. We're staying another day in Fairbanks but don't yet know where we're staying.

For Denali, I got Wonder Lake shuttle tickets--if we decide we don't to go that far, we can always turn around earlier. We have an 8:45 departure time.

I have several questions:

• What time do we need to be at the Wilderness Access Center before the 8:45 shuttle?
  • Where are the best places to get a boxed lunch?
  • How long is the walk really between Princess Lodge and the WAC?
  • Is the Jonesville Trail a bike trail or a hiking trail?
  • In September, should we expect to need mosquito netting? (We don't have any but I saw them available on Amazon)
  • If we do a short hike, will we wish we had walking sticks?
  • Were there things I should have asked but didn't?

Oh yeah--and how the heck am I supposed to have so many different bags? Obviously, there's regular luggage. And then my day bag, which is a large purse. But if we're hiking, we'll want a back pack for lunches and water bottles and such. It's bad enough that I need bulky shoes for this trip--I don't want to pack a suitcase full of bags! :D

How often does the Princess shuttle run? I seem to recall every hour, you could take the 8am shuttle, if you don't care where you sit on the shuttle bus. (there are all kinds of preferences). No the Jonesville is not a bike path, it's simply a narrow, dirt path, well traveled, can't get lost or anything- wooded. Allow 20 minutes with no mobility limitations. When you get to the end/Main road, turn right, up a slight hill, WAC is on the right.

Bugs are not a problem going so late in the season. I've never used any walking sticks, I don't have any packing advice- I manage with packing light, and use a Walmart bag for my food. Not sure what else you are going to carry? Several options for the "bag lunch" Subway's, some of the restaurants in Glitter Gulch/lodges, and at the WAC. There is also the option to bring your food with you from Fairbanks- my "standard" is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which are "made to order". I can't stand "old" sandwiches, and absolutely anything meat based not eaten immediately. But, many many people don't care. :)

Thanks, BudgetQueen! I've read your advice in other threads--you are so generous with your time and knowledge and I definitely appreciate it! :)

I may end up bringing ziploc bags to make icepacks from so I can keep our lunches at a safe temperature. Unless we get sandwich supplies in Talkeetna, we're pretty much constrained to the restaurant provided lunch options. (We're going to Fairbanks after Denali)

I'm getting super-excited. I hope this will be the first of multiple trips to Alaska, but I feel as if we've got a wide range of things planned and will get to see a reasonable amount given our time constraints.