Need suggestions for tour/shuttle from Civitavecchia to Rome

PrincessLucy

Well, there's nothing much between the two except for a couple of decent beaches closer to the port. Are you going to Rome to stay or??? There are some interesting sites close to Civitavecchia, like Tarquinia and Ostia Antica, but they're not really on the way to Rome. I guess I'm just confused about what you're asking?

Well, there's nothing much between the two except for a couple of decent beaches closer to the port. Are you going to Rome to stay or??? There are some interesting sites close to Civitavecchia, like Tarquinia and Ostia Antica, but they're not really on the way to Rome. I guess I'm just confused about what you're asking?

We're getting off the ship and going to Rome where we'll spend a few nights before flying home.

We've been to Rome before and so do not want to see the 'normal' sites again. One of the days we will go to Assisi & Orvieto. I thought that if there was something to see on the way to Rome from the port, we could do that. If not, we'll just take a shuttle directly to Rome.... and then do ?? we're not sure yet. We might do the HOHO bus in Rome just to reacquaint ourselves.

Did I make it more confusing now?

Thanks!

Places that I like that are not always on first timers lists are the Capitoline Museum which has great treasures from the ancient world, and the Borghese gallery which has some amazing sculptures, many by Bernini, and is set in the Borghese Gardens. Another option would be going out to see Hadrian's villa and Tivoli Gardens, which you can do using public transportation.

Have you considered the Scavi tour of the catacombs underneath St. Peter's Basilica? That was a favorite of mine.

I have been to Assisi and it's very interesting, especially the two-story Cathedral, but I also highly recommend Siena, one of my all time favorite places in Italy. It's a beautiful Tuscan hill town and the cathedral there is the all-time best in my opinion!

Places that I like that are not always on first timers lists are the Capitoline Museum which has great treasures from the ancient world, and the Borghese gallery which has some amazing sculptures, many by Bernini, and is set in the Borghese Gardens. Another option would be going out to see Hadrian's villa and Tivoli Gardens, which you can do using public transportation.

Have you considered the Scavi tour of the catacombs underneath St. Peter's Basilica? That was a favorite of mine.

I have been to Assisi and it's very interesting, especially the two-story Cathedral, but I also highly recommend Siena, one of my all time favorite places in Italy. It's a beautiful Tuscan hill town and the cathedral there is the all-time best in my opinion!

Thanks so much. I'll look into your suggestions.

The Non-Catholic Cemetery (also referred to as the Protestant Cemetery) is such an interesting and beautiful place to visit. You'll be amazed at the number of famous people buried here, including British authors Keats and Shelley and also containing the original of one of my favorite sculptures, "Angel of Grief" created by American sculptor William Story in honor of his beloved wife. He's buried beside her. Breathtaking and so much more beautiful seeing it in person.

I'd also recommend a visit to the Capuchin Crypt. Such an interesting place...the Capuchin monks honor their dead brothers by arranging their bones in incredible displays. As one sign proclaims: "What you are, we once were. What we are, you someday will be." Sounds a bit macabre, I know, but it's truly fascinating!

Fun fact...the word "cappucino" is said to have originated from these very same Capuchin monks, something to think about next time you're enjoying one :eek:;)

I looked up this post from a couple of years ago that gives lots of ideas for things to do in Rome that go beyond the usual tourist places:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524426&highlight=rome

Maybe it will be helpful to you. Spending more time in Rome is always a good thing in my book!

Thanks so much for your post. I looked up your 'trip' and now have so many notes to write up!!

What do you think of them? Please, pros and cons.

Thank you!!

I've used Viator in Rome for a couple of tours (as well as in other places). It was a few years back, so not the most recent experience. But the important thing to know about Viator is that they are a middleman -- they don't actually PROVIDE the tour.

In most cases, it's better to do a little searching and try to find the actual tour provider so that you can read reviews on sites like Tripadvisor. I haven't found any significant price differences, but I do prefer knowing what I'm getting! I wouldn't really recommend them unless you have no other alternative for what you'd like to do.

My two Viator experiences in Rome were not great. One of the two tours I booked in advance was cancelled due to lack of participation. What I disliked is that they didn't bother to let me know until I actually showed up at the tour start point (which was an office near Termini station, not exactly convenient to where I was staying). They had both my email and my cell number, but no notification was sent. So I wasted a couple of hours. Then they tried to sell me a different tour, which I refused, rather than giving me a refund. Viator did eventually give me the refund...

The second tour did run as scheduled, but it was conducted in three different languages. We had to hear everything in English, French, and Spanish. The non-English speakers on the tour would talk during the English portion, making it difficult to hear well. Just not my cup of tea. (And this also happened on a Viator tour I took in Lisbon...)

What do you think of them? Please, pros and cons.

Thank you!!

We've used them once in Amsterdam. Big bus, many many people, different languages. I would only use them again if I had no other choice.

That said, you really never know who you will get for a tour guide... unless you get a recommendation.

We're also looking in Rome and on our Board, people have recommended "All Around Italy". They've responded to my emails but I can't speak to how they will be on our tour.

Good luck.

We're using Naples Tour Service for private shuttle/tour out of Civitavecchia to Rome next month. We've talked to them about seeing things "off the beaten path" instead of the usual tourist spots in Rome. One I'm looking forward to seeing, albeit a bit macabre, is the Church of the Cappuccini. :eek:

Thanks for the link to all the other options! A couple have piqued my curiosity.

... One I'm looking forward to seeing, albeit a bit macabre, is the Church of the Cappuccini. :eek:

It's truly amazing...trust me, worth seeing.

Speaking of places worth seeing, Rockport is one of the most beautiful places ever. . I envy you living there.:)