Key West and Cozumel with a mobility scooter

lulutoo

My disabled sister who is 72 ( diabetes, heart disease, foot issues) is going to accompany me on a short cruise ( her first) with a mobility scooter to see if she is comfortable with that mode of travel. I want to do all I can to make this a success so we have chosen a 5 night cruise that stops in Key West and Cozumel to give her a taste of what it's like

I have observed how people function onboard and feel that it will work well, but i need practical advice about port days. Anyone who has been in these ports who can give me ideas?

For instance , will we be able to park her scooter at the Conch Train pick up and enjoy that? I know there are lots of uneven sidewalks and quaint buildings in Key West. how do disabled tourists generally fare with access? How about Cozumel? Will we be able to sightsee and shop at least a little?

I'm determined to make this as stress free as possible - a cruise has always been on her bucket list.

I have toured both cities on my scooter - Cozumel, we just shopped and had lunch at the cruise dock area - quite a good number of shops and a couple of restaurants to choose from. WE really liked Pancho's Backyard. WE had pedicures and massages on the beach. I scootered all over Key West. One of the trams is scooter appropriate but has only certain stops it makes so you need to check to see where to get on and off, but you can see the whole island this way.

Cozumel: We have scooted all the way from the International Pier to downtown San Miguel. The route is not perfect, and would be too far for you to walk. To the center of town is about three miles. There are taxis that will take you into town. Those that can accommodate the scooter usually ad on $5. The $5 was a few years ago, it may be more now. If you are docked downtown, she can just ride the scooter. From the downtown pier, if she wants to see the Malecon, take the elevator down to street level on the ocean side of the street. If she wants to browse at the stores, cross over and take the elevator down on the land side of the street. There are a lot of shops and some restaurants at both the piers south of town. Or if you would like to see the dolphins and some other critters, take a taxi to Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park. The park is accessible.

Key West: Just get your map out and go where ever you want. However, if it is raining stay on the ship. At sea level, the streets are flooded very quickly and at some point she would have to cross a street. Not good for scooters, especially if there is wiring under the floorboard.

If she plans on parking the scooter anyplace, I would highly suggest that you take a bicycle chain/lock and secure the scooter someplace. We always lock ours to a street post or something stationary and do not leave anything in the backpack or basket. We also take our scooter keys with us. The worse that has happened to our scooters was a bunch of kids sitting on and playing like they were riding them.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Have also done both Key West and Cozumel with a mobility scooter with little to no difficulty. Are you aware that Key West is in Florida and so ADA does apply ?

Though it was previously suggested to bring a bike lock for the mobility scooter it should be noted it really does no good if it's a travel portable one that breaks down into 4 pieces. Even locked to poll it's still very easy to take it apart piece by piece if someone really wanted to steal it. Do not suggest leaving it anywhere unattended. If you're renting it you will be responsible for the complete replacement cost should it be stolen. If

Here's the link for the Conch Train and accessibility http://www.conchtourtrain.com/wheelchair-accessible-tours.html