Do ferries accept tickets from the 15ticket booklet ?

CanadaJulie

I am SURE I saw that booklets of 15 tickets can be used on both buses and ferries. Then this morning, I had googled to double check the price wanted to figure out if it's simply better to buy a pass and found this

http://www.bermuda-online.org/getround.htm

Fares for regular local buses

Payable by local passengers and visitors by air or cruise ship.

2015. Effective April 1. Adult, three-zone bus trip, $3.50, a book of three-zone (small local area) tickets $25. A one-day pass $19; a two-day $31; a three-day $44; four days, $48.50, seven days $62. Cash Fares require exact change only. Drivers do not make change, and are forbidden from receiving and depositing money in the fare box. Dollar bills are not accepted. Tokens are available for 3 and 14 Zones, and are honored on buses and ferries. Tickets for 3 and 14 Zones are sold in Booklets of 15, and are honored on buses only. Transportation Passes, see chart below: unlimited number of journeys for all Zones, and are honored on buses and ferries. Child passes (age 5-16) are half the cost.

There are so many sites about Bermuda with conflicting info - figured I'd check here to see if anyone had recent info. Can you use the tickets from the booklet on the ferry ?

and as a subsequent question to this:

I see on the https://www.gotobermuda.com/what-to-do/transportation/ website that they have a ticket booklet for children. I think this is the 'official' Bermuda website.

However, on the Ferry wesbite http://www.seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202015.pdf there is only mention of a adult booklet.

I'm so confused...

We have a mix of kids and adults in our group. I am reasonably sure - assuming the ferries take the tickets from the booklet - that tickets are the better option. I know I will have to use tokens until we get into Hamilton since the tickets are not sold at the dockyard. However, it would be cheaper for the kids to get the 2 day pass if they have to use tickets from the adult booklet. If there *is* a kids booklet, then that's the better deal.

(side note: I realize that is all just a few dollars difference, but my parents are paying for this cruise for their kids and grandkids and it's costing many thousands of dollars for them to bring 11 people. I'm planning all of this so I'd like to do it as economically as possible and not waste any money)

Yes, it IS confusing.

I'm looking at 2 different hard copy brochures and they are saying tickets are accepted. The Sea Express brochure says tickets are available from the Hamilton ferry terminal. It would then seem strange they would not accepted if they are selling them there. The Bermuda reference map says that tickets are accepted but cash is not yet people have posted recently that cash was accepted which may have been just the driver being nice.

I realize that you are trying to plan and I imagine that is for money you will need. You could always ask at the ferry when you are going to Hamilton. It doesn't look to me that there is a dedicated children booklet and I don't remember any mention of it in any posts here.

My brochures are not the newest but I would trust a hard copy that is given out over what is posted by the various places online. Some have been known not to update with latest info.

Edited by iheartbda

I am SURE I saw that booklets of 15 tickets can be used on both buses and ferries. Then this morning, I had googled to double check the price wanted to figure out if it's simply better to buy a pass and found this

http://www.bermuda-online.org/getround.htm

Fares for regular local buses

Payable by local passengers and visitors by air or cruise ship.

2015. Effective April 1. Adult, three-zone bus trip, $3.50, a book of three-zone (small local area) tickets $25. A one-day pass $19; a two-day $31; a three-day $44; four days, $48.50, seven days $62. Cash Fares require exact change only. Drivers do not make change, and are forbidden from receiving and depositing money in the fare box. Dollar bills are not accepted. Tokens are available for 3 and 14 Zones, and are honored on buses and ferries. Tickets for 3 and 14 Zones are sold in Booklets of 15, and are honored on buses only. Transportation Passes, see chart below: unlimited number of journeys for all Zones, and are honored on buses and ferries. Child passes (age 5-16) are half the cost.

There are so many sites about Bermuda with conflicting info - figured I'd check here to see if anyone had recent info. Can you use the tickets from the booklet on the ferry ?

Yes, you can use the tickets on the ferry. Years ago tickets couldn't be used on the ferries, but that has not been true for years. This owners of the website has never updated it to reflect the current correct information.

and as a subsequent question to this:

I see on the https://www.gotobermuda.com/what-to-do/transportation/ website that they have a ticket booklet for children. I think this is the 'official' Bermuda website.

However, on the Ferry wesbite http://www.seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202015.pdf there is only mention of a adult booklet.

I'm so confused...

We have a mix of kids and adults in our group. I am reasonably sure - assuming the ferries take the tickets from the booklet - that tickets are the better option. I know I will have to use tokens until we get into Hamilton since the tickets are not sold at the dockyard. However, it would be cheaper for the kids to get the 2 day pass if they have to use tickets from the adult booklet. If there *is* a kids booklet, then that's the better deal.

(side note: I realize that is all just a few dollars difference, but my parents are paying for this cruise for their kids and grandkids and it's costing many thousands of dollars for them to bring 11 people. I'm planning all of this so I'd like to do it as economically as possible and not waste any money)

The "gotobermuda" website is the site of the Bermuda Tourism Authority, and while "official" in that sense it is not the official Bermuda government's site for public transportation.

Yes there is a children's ticket book. I think the reason the ferry schedule doesn't it mention it is a pace limitation.

Just be aware that you cannot buy the ticket booklets in the port area (unless it's changed since last summer). We purchased one day passes and then picked up the ticket booklet in Hamilton to use for our remaining days.

I've been researching the same topic as we are a mixed age group of 7. this appears to be current and hopefully accurate. I also have written in my notes that tickets can be purchased at the Dockyard but I'm going to confirm that and what method of payments are accepted. Will share when I figure it out.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000091.htm

I've been researching the same topic as we are a mixed age group of 7. this appears to be current and hopefully accurate. I also have written in my notes that tickets can be purchased at the Dockyard but I'm going to confirm that and what method of payments are accepted. Will share when I figure it out.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000091.htm

Pretty sure the 15 ticket booklets cannot be purchased at the Dockyard - only in town (Hamilton or St-Georges). Hope I'm wrong - it would make things easier to just buy them from the start.

When are you going ? I leave in 2 weeks, I'll report back too

we may be shipmates. We leave Boston on Friday, Aug. 21. According to the Bermuda Attractions site, the closest place to buy tickets from the dockyard is 8 minutes by bus but it is only open weekdays. Our plan is to go to Horseshoe on Sunday so we may all take the bus 7 using tokens, have a designated buyer get off in Hamilton to make the purchase and then rejoin the others at the beach. It does seem the most economical of the options.

On Monday we will head to Tobacco Bay in St. George and then check out Hamilton on Tuesday, hopefully getting a fish sandwich at the highly acclaimed Art Mels.

I have a sister in law from Cowensville. Love Montreal! My grandparents were from PEI.

Pretty sure the 15 ticket booklets cannot be purchased at the Dockyard - only in town (Hamilton or St-Georges). Hope I'm wrong - it would make things easier to just buy them from the start.

When are you going ? I leave in 2 weeks, I'll report back too

we may be shipmates. We leave Boston on Friday, Aug. 21. According to the Bermuda Attractions site, the closest place to buy tickets from the dockyard is 8 minutes by bus but it is only open weekdays. Our plan is to go to Horseshoe on Sunday so we may all take the bus 7 using tokens, have a designated buyer get off in Hamilton to make the purchase and then rejoin the others at the beach. It does seem the most economical of the options.

On Monday we will head to Tobacco Bay in St. George and then check out Hamilton on Tuesday, hopefully getting a fish sandwich at the highly acclaimed Art Mels.

I have a sister in law from Cowensville. Love Montreal! My grandparents were from PEI.

Ticket books currently are not sold at Dockyard, although they were for a couple of years.

I wouldn't send someone by bus to Hamilton to buy the ticket books. Hamilton is further from Dockyard than Horseshoe Bay. The bus ride to Hamilton takes about an hour, and bus service on Sunday is rather limited. If you really need to buy a ticket book on Sunday it's better take a Blue Route ferry to Hamilton, which takes only 20 minutes.

Beware of the advice given in the "Bermuda Attractions" site. The website owner lives in India. He's getting information from what people tell him, not directly from personal experience. Not that everything is wrong...but if no one informs him of changes needed to what the site says, it can display misinformation for years.

From a description I read I thought the bus route passed through Hamilton on the way to the beach. I guess we will ask at tourist info at the dock.

thanks so much for the advice and caveat on the site. Raj does have questions and answers as recent as a few days ago and his bus/ferry info is much more current than many other sites I've reviewed.

Edited by auntiemjo

From a description I read I thought the bus route passed through Hamilton on the way to the beach. I guess we will ask at tourist info at the dock.

Other way around. The dockyard is at the top where it says Zone 13, Horseshoe Bay is Zone 9 and Hamilton is zone 6. Follow the green bus line from the Dockyard, you'll see that the "Designated ticket buyer" has to go quite a ways, then come back (paying with a ticket) to get to the beach. Busroutemapwest.jpg

gosh you're good. Why am I bothering with Raj when you are about! Yup. Dockyards at one end and Hamilton last stop on the other. Since we'd like to use the tickets on Sunday and Monday to get to St. George I'd like to figure out how to get them as soon and close as possible but it may have to be Hamilton by ferry.