Fairbanks Hotel to Bear Lodge

Katies12

Hi all,

Printed off my travel summary a while back, and noticed that we (Mom and I) were booked into the Fairbanks Hotel for our first night of the Denali Explorer land tour. Checked again yesterday, as we are 30 days out, and noticed that we have been changed to Bear Lodge.

Has anyone been to Bear Lodge and how is it? Better, worse or same as Fairbanks Hotel?

Thanks in advance!!

Westmark? Travel summary stated Fairbanks Hotel. Have never done a land tour before, so this is all new. Will be third Alaskan cruise. Thanks.

Edited by Katies12

Westmark? Travel summary stated Fairbanks Hotel. Have never done a land tour before, so this is all new. Will be third Alaskan cruise. Thanks.

I see you now mean a Fairbanks hotel. The Westmark is sometimes known as the Westmark Fairbanks Hotel, as in the name.

Sorry, I don't have any feedback on the Fairbanks Hotel, but we stayed at the Bear Lodge for two nights at the conclusion of our Princess Cruise Tour in July. Some of our group were dropped of at the Princess Riverside Lodge before the rest of us went on to the Bear Lodge. After seeing the Princess lodge with its remote location, I was really pleased with our hotel. We had a very nice room and the location was great along with the complementary shuttle that made a 1 hour loop around Fairbanks, (there was a charge for this at the Princess lodge.) We were also right next door to a fabulous antique car museum where we spent part of the day before our evening flight home. The restaurant at the hotel was fine and served a breakfast buffet. I would definitely stay there again.

Edited by mek

Katies1: As someone who lives in Fairbanks I don't think that we have a hotel named "Fairbanks Hotel." While a number of local hotels have "Fairbanks" in their names I suspect that your cruise tour itinerary was referring to some unspecified hotel located in Fairbanks.

The Bear Lodge is a Fountainhead Development property. It is part of the Wedgewood complex and is located off of College Road. It is adjacent to the trails in the Creamer's Field State Migratory Waterfowl Refuge, which was originally a dairy. The Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum is located on the property, and (at least in the past) they have offered reduced admission prices to folks staying at one of their hotels. The closest non-hotel restaurant would be Geraldos, which would be a quick walk from the hotel.

Katies1: As someone who lives in Fairbanks I don't think that we have a hotel named "Fairbanks Hotel." While a number of local hotels have "Fairbanks" in their names I suspect that your cruise tour itinerary was referring to some unspecified hotel located in Fairbanks.

The Bear Lodge is a Fountainhead Development property. It is part of the Wedgewood complex and is located off of College Road. It is adjacent to the trails in the Creamer's Field State Migratory Waterfowl Refuge, which was originally a dairy. The Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum is located on the property, and (at least in the past) they have offered reduced admission prices to folks staying at one of their hotels. The closest non-hotel restaurant would be Geraldos, which would be a quick walk from the hotel.

As I mentioned- I thought it might have been referring to the Westmark. :)

Anyway- the Geraldos recommendation is a great one. I've always enjoyed their food, and can't remember a stay in Fairbanks, where I didn't eat there. :)

Hello Northern Aurora, thank you for the information concerning Bear Lodge.

I went back and looked at my original printoff, and it states 'a Fairbanks Hotel'. I guess that was a generalization until they could confirm the actual lodgings. My bad.

However, good info concerning the restaurant, will have to try it out.

As I mentioned- I thought it might have been referring to the Westmark. :)

Anyway- the Geraldos recommendation is a great one. I've always enjoyed their food, and can't remember a stay in Fairbanks, where I didn't eat there. :)

Thanks Budget Queen, for confirming the restaurant recommendation.

Edited by Katies12