DCL Panama Canal at the end of August 2016

norhel

Howdy all.

We are 3 adults considering to go on the Panama Canal cruise with DCL at the end of August 2016 from San Diego to Port Canaveral. Just a few questions I hope someone can answer.

Has anyone been on a similar cruise with DCL and if so how was it?

Since we are only adults in our travel party, how is it with adults only area on board?

When the cruise ends in Port Canaveral, is there a immigration check again when we leave the ship?

We have been on cruise with NCL and RCCL. We know of course that one of the difference between NCL, RCCL and DCL is that DCL has the Disney character, teaming and show, but other than that is there any difference?

Thanks in advance.

In my experience, cruises on various lines are more alike than different. What you will notice on DCL is a LOT of attention to detail and quality of service. They have the best looking ships. Even services like the spa (run by the same company on every cruise I've been on) is a notch above in friendliness and the spaces in appearance.

THere are MANY adult only groups on longer cruises. Most people can't/won't take kids out of school for 2 weeks. It is an amazing cruise! There are also lots of toddlers/pre-schoolers. These don't bother anyone as they have to be either in the programming or with a parent. OK, they do fuss occasionally, but seriously, not a problem for other guests.

There is ALWAYS a Customs and Immigration check when the ship comes into Port Canaveral or any other US port. DCL tries to make it a painless as possible, but they don't control the process.

This was seriously one of our favorite cruise vacations. I've done 30+ DCL cruises, most of them 7 nights or longer, and would rank this near the top. Usually on long cruises, DCL brings on special entertainers, often with tied to Disney. On our Panama crossing, we had Susan Egan (Belle on Broadway) for 2 special performances as well as several other performers. And we had Captain Tom and the "brown boobies." You had to be there to understand that one! He was taking about a species of bird, but no one else took it that way...a comedy team picked up the comment and it went wild.

Edited by moki'smommy

Howdy all.

We are 3 adults considering to go on the Panama Canal cruise with DCL at the end of August 2016 from San Diego to Port Canaveral. Just a few questions I hope someone can answer.

Has anyone been on a similar cruise with DCL and if so how was it?

Since we are only adults in our travel party, how is it with adults only area on board?

When the cruise ends in Port Canaveral, is there a immigration check again when we leave the ship?

We have been on cruise with NCL and RCCL. We know of course that one of the difference between NCL, RCCL and DCL is that DCL has the Disney character, teaming and show, but other than that is there any difference?

Thanks in advance.

I did this cruise in September of last year. Despite missing all the ports on the Pacific side due to Hurricane Odile, it was the best cruise (out of 17) that I have ever been on.

I am a single adult and I traveled solo. There were a number of solos, as well as adult only groups on the cruise due to the length and it being during the school year. There were many adult entertainment options, as well as opportunities for adults to experience some of the normally child only venues, if they chose.

There is immigration in Port Canaveral, since the ship visits foreign ports after leaving San Diego.

I think that the basic cruise experience is more alike than different across the various lines, however the rotating dining is unique to Disney, and the quality of the shows and speakers is top notch.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Lesa

I did this cruise in September of last year. Despite missing all the ports on the Pacific side due to Hurricane Odile, it was the best cruise (out of 17) that I have ever been on.

I am a single adult and I traveled solo. There were a number of solos, as well as adult only groups on the cruise due to the length and it being during the school year. There were many adult entertainment options, as well as opportunities for adults to experience some of the normally child only venues, if they chose.

There is immigration in Port Canaveral, since the ship visits foreign ports after leaving San Diego.

I think that the basic cruise experience is more alike than different across the various lines, however the rotating dining is unique to Disney, and the quality of the shows and speakers is top notch.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Lesa

Thanx for the reply. We're pretty temped to do it.

Mokismommy and lesaL, would you mind giving more detail as to why it was your favorite cruise? I have never cruised more than seven days with Disney up to this point, and I'm seriously considering this cruise next August also. It may possibly be solo or it may be with one other person. I don't mean to hijack this thread so if it's more appropriate, could you please provide some links here of places where I could find more info as to what makes this particular cruise so appealing.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

we traveled the TA westbound in 2008 and that was our longest cruise, 15 days. we did not get bored. the shows and entertainment varied nightly. the food varied and we were able to try most new things because of the length of the cruise. we did not feel rushed to cram it all in! we had 15 days!! it was super extra fantastic. there weren't many kids, but enough. the adults keep them situated and there was no drama. I found the length of the cruise very relaxing and just amazing. I would definately do it again!

I'm on board with all who said that the DCL Panama Canal cruise is awesome.

I saw things on this cruise that I have never seen on any other. Whales, dolphins, and the best was the PC. As was mentioned, there are not many kids on this cruise.

We had a Panama Canal expert (2 actually) on our cruise. One gave daily talks about the PC and the other boarded the Wonder on the Atlantic side and departed on the Pacific side of the PC. She narrated the voyage. At the different locks, DCL has quite a reception. Waving and excitement from those visiting the locks via land and the people who work on it. The captain was happy to blow the DCL horn several times during the transit.

My exciting time on this cruise (other than everything!) was while down in Diversions (3rd deck?) we were sitting next to one of the large portholes, talking with another couple. My husband was filming the wall; which was about 1.5 feet away, which while filming, turned into 0 feet away! We have the video of me noticing how close we were getting and then BOOM! We hit right where we were sitting! And was it loud!

One thing that I never heard after reading countless threads about a PC cruise was which side to book. No one ever suggested what I'm about to. We went from East to West and had a cabin on the starboard side. We had a balcony and I can't tell you how much we enjoyed being able to see the beautiful coast all the way from Cabo. The mountains were wonderful. So going west to east, I would book port!

One other plus on PC cruise on DCL. What a bargain!

Ditto what everyone has said about Panama Canal cruises. We were on this year's westbound Panama Canal cruise. Amazing! So amazing we're going again on the May 1, 2016 Panama Canal cruise aboard the Wonder!