Hurricanes=Changed vacation plans?

Pat_frm_CA

My husband and I had a long discussion yesterday and based on the long term forecast for large numbers of hurricanes for the next decade, we are 90% decided to cancel our family cruise (Valor, 6/25/06) and go to Hawaii instead.

Are we the only ones concerned about the increased frequency of hurricanes?

Anyone else canceling before final payment is due?

My husband and I had a long discussion yesterday and based on the long term forecast for large numbers of hurricanes for the next decade, we are 90% decided to cancel our family cruise (Valor, 6/25/06) and go to Hawaii instead.

Are we the only ones concerned about the increased frequency of hurricanes?

Anyone else canceling before final payment is due?

Where did you see the "long term forecast"??

Tropical Weather Summary 

000ABNT30 KNHC 011132TWSAT MONTHLY TROPICAL WEATHER SUMMARYNWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL8 AM EDT FRI JULY 1 2005 FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO... TROPICAL STORMS ARLENE AND BRET FORMED DURING THE MONTH OF JUNE. INONLY TWELVE PREVIOUS YEARS SINCE 1851...MOST RECENTLY IN1986...HAVE TWO OR MORE TROPICAL STORMS FORMED IN THE MONTH OFJUNE. 

Just a thought after reading the above from the Hurricane Center, Hurricanes are rare in June, but if you dont won't to chance it then I say go for Hawaii, Heck just book a cruise to Hawaii...Just my opinion

I saw something about this long term forecast on The Morning Show on CBS today. It was talking about the cyclic nature of hurricanes. The 1950s-60's were a heavy cycle. Then there was a light cycle then mid to late 1990s- now is a heavy cycle. But, they can't predict where the hurricanes are going to go ashore. So, really it's just a roll of the dice. "Is it going to go into the gulf or up the coast or hit Mexico?" Everyone who cruises during the season knows the risks.

Tropical Weather Summary 

000ABNT30 KNHC 011132TWSAT MONTHLY TROPICAL WEATHER SUMMARYNWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL8 AM EDT FRI JULY 1 2005 FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO... TROPICAL STORMS ARLENE AND BRET FORMED DURING THE MONTH OF JUNE. INONLY TWELVE PREVIOUS YEARS SINCE 1851...MOST RECENTLY IN1986...HAVE TWO OR MORE TROPICAL STORMS FORMED IN THE MONTH OFJUNE. 

Just a thought after reading the above from the Hurricane Center, Hurricanes are rare in June, but if you dont won't to chance it then I say go for Hawaii, Heck just book a cruise to Hawaii...Just my opinion

Hurricanes are not rare in June or Hawaii. In the Pacific, they are called Typhoons. There are currently three Typhoons in the Pacific Coast right now.

I can't believe the amounts of mis-information about Hurricanes.

Hurricane Iniki struck the Hawaii Islands on 11 September 1992 with sustained winds of 145 miles per hour and gusts up to 175 miles per hour. The storm caused extensive damage along low-lying coastal areas, especially on the island of Kauai, where most of the island’s 50,000 residents were evacuated to higher ground. The President declared parts of Hawaii a disaster area on 12 September 1992. This small FOIA documents executive branch reaction to the hurricane. Included are letters, memos, and reports providing information about storm damage and federal reaction to the storm. The FOIA also includes some information about Typhoon Omar which struck Guam.

Also:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/whpacg.htm

Understanding eastern Pacific hurricanes

pacif1.gifpacif2.jpg

Source: The USA TODAY Weather Book by Jack Williams

By Jack Williams, USATODAY.com

Even though an average of 18 tropical storms form over the eastern Pacific Ocean each year and around half develop into hurricanes, few of these storms hit land. A few hurricanes hit Mexico's West Coast and every few years a storm will brush Hawaii.

No hurricane has hit the California Coast since records began, but a tropical storm with 50 mph winds did come ashore at Long Beach on Sept. 25, 1939, killing at least 45 people. (Related: Tropical storms to affect California).

Since winds over the tropics around the globe blow generally from east to west, storms that form over the warm Pacific off the Central American and Mexican coasts are generally pushed toward the west. Some storms do turn toward the north to hit the Mexican Coast. Cold ocean water off the California Coast weakens storms that make it that far north.

Even though the storms die before reaching the USA, the remnants can bring heavy rain to California, the Southwest and sometimes to places as far east as Oklahoma.

Most hurricanes die before they get as far west as Hawaii, but some do make it. The water around Hawaii is cooler than farther south and the storms weaken, however. The last hurricane to hit Hawaii was Iniki in 1992, which devastated parts of the Island of Kauai with winds probably up to 115 mph. Iniki killed six people and damage was estimated at $2.3 billion in year 2000 dollars. (Related: Hurricanes rarely hit Hawaii).

Eastern and central Pacific storms are called "hurricanes." Storms have to be west of the International Date Line to be "typhoons."

Until weather satellites began "seeing" eastern Pacific hurricanes in the 1970s, meteorologists had underestimated how many occur because many storms never come near land and fewer ships sail the eastern Pacific than the Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. The eastern Pacific hurricane season runs from May 15 through Nov. 30.

West Coast 'hurricane' winds aren't hurricanes

From time to time winds above 75 mph hit the Pacific Coast, especially the Northwest Coast. While these are "hurricane force" winds, they are not from hurricanes, but from strong extratropical storms. One famous case was the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 that hit northern California, Oregon and Washington. It caused more than 50 deaths and had winds as high as 119 mph in Portland. When it hit the West Coast, this storm was extratropical, but began as Typhoon Frieda nine days earlier near Wake Island in the western Pacific.

The storm stayed a rather weak typhoon with 100 mph winds, before merging with an extratropical storm. The extratropical storm moved eastward across the Pacific and then northward along the Northwest Coast.

While some accounts called the storm "Typhoon Frieda" or "Hurricane Frieda" when it hit the Northwest, it was no longer a tropical storm, but had become extropical. (Related: Differences between tropical, extratropical storms).

Well, rather than cancel your cruise plans and just vacation in Hawaii (which, thanks to Blue Heron's extensive and thorough research, we know isn't immune to hurricanes either), you *could* plan your cruise for when it's *not* hurricane season.

Also, the actual number of cruises that are adversely affected by a hurricane is very small. Yes, yes, there are exceptions to this. I know that. Granted, you may not get to see the port you'd hoped to see, but the Caribbean has many, many beautiful ports, some of which you may not normally see on the regular itineraries of the ships you select.

Sailing in hurricane season is *always* a roll of the dice, but in my humble opinion your odds are better than at the craps table. Mostly, you win. Rarely do you actually *lose*.

::thinking:: Even if you *lose*, you have a helluva story to tell later, hmm? :)

I would not cancel a planned vacation on the off chance there might be a hurricane, or any other bad weather for that matter. I frequently cruise during the height of hurricane season for the lower prices. I am well aware of what might happen, but that's why I buy trip insurance.

The only time I had a cruise affected by a hurricane was last year when I got to cruise for 2 extra nights thanks to Jeanne!

Terri

I am aware that hurricanes are not isolated to the Caribbean--but wondered if the storm has caused others to rethink their vacation plans. Two of our daughters are in school or teaching school until late June. As such, the last week of June is the earliest we can leave for a family vacation.

Guess we must be the only ones that heavy seas (I have been on a cruise ship during a low grade hurricane--was pretty rough) and changed port plans/arrival dates bother.:confused:

I wouldn't switch plans for what "might" happen a year from now. Weather happens everywhere. Suppose Hawaii is having a heat wave? Sunami?...Last year we were diverted from western to eastern due to Ivan. When we arrived in St. Martin, Jeanne was just south of us. Left there and ended up in Nassau. Stuff happens. We had a wonderful time. Ships steer clear of storms so you might not end up where you want but you'll be safe. Some of the best moments of our lives are unplanned. Go For It. Join the thousands of us who cruise during the hurricane season ! (read...we're cheap !) Live a little, life is too short. Whatever you decide, have a great trip !!!! I'll be somewhere in the Carribean in 15 days with or without a 'cane.:D

We have already had to change our cruise plans due to Katrina, but wouldn't think twice about not going as this is something we have always wanted to do. If something does occur I think we are smart enough to know that we can't control everything and roll with the punches. I think it is extremely rare chance that our lives would be in danger with a hurricane, much more likely for the plane to crash or the car to crash on the way there. If you look at "what my happen" for every vacation you wouldn't ever go...

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't change your plans for the off chance that the begining of hurricane season there might be a hurricane in the carribean that will affect the cruise you are on. I was on a cruise during Katrina and the only thing we had to do was change our home port so that instead of sailing up the gulf with Katrina we sailed directly through Katrina to get to Miami- only one really rough day confined to the indoors.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived