Anybody been on the?????

mrskmirolla

Who has been on the Monarch of the Seas out of LA???? We are planning a birthday party for August with parents, children and grandchildren, anything special we should know????? The kids range from 5 years old down to 1 year old. All I wanted for my birthday was to take my kids and grandkids on a cruise and we figured this would probably be the best because it is short and sweet. Any thoughts??????

Kathy

Hi, Another Kathy here!

We have been on Monarchs' 4 day cruise twice and are going over Thanksgiving weekend (technically the weekend after Thanksgiving!) with family and friends for the 3 day cruise.

Monarch is a nice little ship for a short market. She is well kept, the service has always been good, she's a very pretty ship for her age. Not quite all the bells and whistles the newer ships have, but usually older ships do these type of itineraries. The cabins are a bit on the small side, so don't try to cram too many people into them, we get a cabin for ourselves and one for our kids (teens). August is a nice time to cruise this itinerary, we have cruised Baja twice now in August.

As with most cruise lines, the kids clubs don't start until 3 years old, so plan on having your little ones with you all the time! The 3 and older will have a great time at the club, sometimes they don't want to leave!

The 4 day has an advantage over the 3 day, as it stops in San Diego and Catalina, as well as Ensenada. We have always stayed onboard in Ensenada, however. The other two ports are so much nicer and 3 port days in a row are a bit ambitious.

We have also been on the Carnival cruise, same destination, except Carnival doesn't stop in San Diego, a big minus in our opinion. They do a sea day instead and the Pacific ocean is not necessarily the smoothest sailing heading northbound.

I hope this helps a bit, I'm sure moving it to the top of the page may get you a few more responses.

We have been on the Monarch several times, the most recent was in August. Like Happy Ks said, the cabins are very small. The JS and SOV are your best bet.

The cruise is fun, well organized and the crew experienced. The ship is small but pretty and will have a face-lift (drydock) this January.

If most of your group are first time cruisers please encourage them to get passports. The lines are very long to disembark for those without them.

Book soon as this ship is always full. Have a great time!

I second what the other posters have said about the Monarch. As for the ship cabin size, yes, they are small. I would suggest you do NOT book a cabin with a connecting door, as this will take away some of your storage area.

Don't miss the dueling pianos...they are always fun (in Boleros). If you are looking for a quiet out of the way place to read Boleros has a couple of little "coves" just around the corner from the main entrance that are great during the day.

You guys are great. I realize the rooms will be small but how do they set them up for the kids? Daughter has 2 girls will be 3 & 5, Son has Son 4 and daughter 1 and the other son will have his 1 year old and all the spouses too. I have never been on this line we mainly go on Holland America and the cabins are roomy, we also get verandahs but with me paying for everyone and I haven't won the lottery yet we will all be in inside cabins on deck 6 no connecting rooms but will it be really bad????

Kathy

We love the Monarch for a long weekend – have been on the 3-day 4 times. I understand that she's scheduled for dry dock in Jan or Feb, which will spruce up things. She's very well-maintained, but takes a bit of a beating, especially in the pool area.. The new executive chef has worked wonders with the food, too.

The Captain's gala is always fun and the band in Bolero's that plays after Dueling Pianos is great. I highly recommend her.

Archived