How does the "social media" plan work?

MaiTaiMary

Do you have to use the web browser facebook or can you use the app version?

You cannot use your browser at all, it will not work, you are NOT buying internet. You are buying "social apps" only. That means Facebook, Twitter, instagram, Linkin etc.

If you have an app that is not social like ebay, amazon etc - they will NOT work on the social plan.

First off, the plans have been the same to by them weekly whether it is a 5 day cruise or a 10 days cruise (that might change)

$60 or $99 - you access the same internet plans but $99 people have priority. That means if most buy the $60 plan - great experience, no problem.

If you buy the $60 plan and 400 people buy the $99 plan, you will cry because all those people stay connected and when it gets too crowded, they boot off the $60 people first, leaving only $99 people with access. You will still get back on, but you have very low priority and if many buy the $99 plan you will NOT have a good experience.

So when you ask how the $60 plan was, the people who bought it will not know if they do not know if many people bought the priority or not.

Another thing, you can not use your phone for phone calls and texts. In other words, you cannot use any plan via wifi and have it work for voice calls and texts. If you have phone apps like Skype and you buy internet, you can use it, but just not voice.

You could use the carnival funville forms currently onboard section for free. You can access it from a kiosk, phone, or tablet. Just create a topic for your family to use and bookmark it.

You will need to "train" your loved ones at home and yourself on how to use it but if everyone checks it 2-3 times a day it works great.

Is the price per device?

No. We are a family of 3 and we bought one plan for the week and just logged in and out when we used our own devices.

So if you need to communicate with someone who is on the cruise with you, you would need to be more than one plan. Otherwise, you can switch between devices to your heart's content. [emoji6]

• 5 months later...
Sorry to bump an old thread.

With the Social plan it says you're able to use Facebook Messenger. Does this include the video calling feature as well?

Not IT savvy so don't know if I could have done it. Probably could have as my son sent one to me from home and ZI was able to see it. I did post photos though.

FYI. If you buy the daily $5 feature, it is applicable for a 24 hour cycle, not a calendar day. So if you time it right, you can be on facebook for parts of 2 days. If you buy it at 8pm one day, you have it until 7:59pm the next day

Not IT savvy so don't know if I could have done it. Probably could have as my son sent one to me from home and ZI was able to see it. I did post photos though.

FYI. If you buy the daily $5 feature, it is applicable for a 24 hour cycle, not a calendar day. So if you time it right, you can be on facebook for parts of 2 days. If you buy it at 8pm one day, you have it until 7:59pm the next day

Good to know. Thanks!

We will be on the Sunshine next week. Is there just a plan that allows me to get on to wi-fi on my LAPTOP (a mac) and get my email (apple mail)?? If I want to check my FB, can I do it from the actual web site on my laptop (from Safari) as opposed to the app on my iPhone or iPad? It looks like this "social" plan just includes FB messenger - what about just looking at my FB? Can I just buy wi-fi minutes?

You would need to do the value plan to do all of that. I did value at first and could use fab and a few other apps but that's all. I upgraded during the last few days because I needed to track the eastern snow storm and change travel plans