Port Liberty, Bayonne Bridge closed

nicwithcandy

Hi everyone, I live in NJ, close to the port and every weekend I hear the Bayonne Bridge is closed with all the work they are doing on it. What is everyone doing when its closed? I was told to take 440 through Jersey City to get there instead. Any help? Thanks in advance!

Is the Newark Bay Bridge the one off the Jersey Turnpike? Are they still doing a lot of construction on it and is it still the best way to get to the port from the turnpike from Southern NJ.? There was only one lane open on ,it two years ago when we went on the Explorer.

Going up NOV 1st on the Liberty of the seas.

We have a 12:36 pm flight out of EWR the day the ship returns to port. Do you think this will be a problem getting to the airport due to the construction of the bridge? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We will be arriving the day before so we are not as concerned with getting to the port. I read on a thread over the weekend the detour is taking approx. an hour and a half...??

Is the Newark Bay Bridge the one off the Jersey Turnpike? Are they still doing a lot of construction on it and is it still the best way to get to the port from the turnpike from Southern NJ.? There was only one lane open on ,it two years ago when we went on the Explorer.

Going up NOV 1st on the Liberty of the seas.

It is still the best way to get to the port. Look at the NJ Turnoike web site for advisories. http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/ They are working at exit 14A, but so far not a big problem.

Edited by 138east

We have a 12:36 pm flight out of EWR the day the ship returns to port. Do you think this will be a problem getting to the airport due to the construction of the bridge? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We will be arriving the day before so we are not as concerned with getting to the port. I read on a thread over the weekend the detour is taking approx. an hour and a half...??

There is no construction on the bridge between Cape Liberty and EWR. The Bayonne Bridge between Bayonne and Staten Island is under construction and Is often closed on the weekend.

138east,

we are leaving thursday, i am confused of what bridge is which. sooo if we follow the directions that i believe you gave for getting off 14a on the NJ turnipike, we should be ok? that is NOT the bridge that is supposedly closed?

Thanks

138east,

we are leaving thursday, i am confused of what bridge is which. sooo if we follow the directions that i believe you gave for getting off 14a on the NJ turnipike, we should be ok? that is NOT the bridge that is supposedly closed?

Thanks

You should be fine. You come up the turnpike, Follow the signs to the 14-14A-14B-14C exits and then follow the signs to get off at 14A. You will go over a big bridge, but it is NOT the Bayonne Bridge. There is construction at exit 14A, but so far it has not been affecting the interchange. Remember, it's the NJ Turnpike, so anything can happen, so pay attention to the traffic reports.

• 2 months later...

I just drove to Cape Liberty in a rental car and saw the signs on the turnpike saying Bayonne Bridge closed until 3pm (Wednesday). Then my Neverlost in the car told me to get off at exit 13 instead of 14A so I thought the bridge must be the one at exit 14. Nope. And then the detours sent me in circles. Thankfully it was just before 3pm so at the last detour loop before I was going to give up and go back to the turnpike the bridge opened.

So take 14A. There is some construction but it's fine. We left that way, just a bit of AM traffic congestion.

I just drove to Cape Liberty in a rental car and saw the signs on the turnpike saying Bayonne Bridge closed until 3pm (Wednesday). Then my Neverlost in the car told me to get off at exit 13 instead of 14A so I thought the bridge must be the one at exit 14. Nope. And then the detours sent me in circles. Thankfully it was just before 3pm so at the last detour loop before I was going to give up and go back to the turnpike the bridge opened.

So take 14A. There is some construction but it's fine. We left that way, just a bit of AM traffic congestion.

Sorry for all the confusion you experienced. There have been many threads discussing the ongoing Bayonne Bridge closure.

For folks reading about this for the first time I would strongly suggest looking at a map of the area to see the following:

1). The Bayonne Bridge connects Staten Island with Bayonne. It's closures affect ONLY folks going through Staten Island to Bayonne.

2). The Newark Bay Bridge connects The NJ Turnpike Exit 14 (Newark) to Bayonne. Cape Liberty is just one exit away at Exit 14A.

3). GPS can be unreliable and/or misleading in this area. It is always good to have a printed map

4). Exit 14A is under construction. If you have a future cruise, the traffic pattern could change in this area, which I'm sure will be discussed on this forum.

The current directions into Cape Liberty are:

Directions from NJ Turnpike exit 14A

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is better than it used to be, but still not crystal clear. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is not 100% reliable in this area.

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Thank you Carol for this info, please keep us updated. I'll be heading to the port next Sunday the 22nd for my cruise and driving in from central Jersey.

Bad news. They reconfigured exit 14A two days ago. Please read the current thread about Exit 14A. My directions are no longer accurate. The current advice for the toll plaza is to stay left and follow the signs to route 440 South which will take you on the new overpass. I believe you would still get to the left on route 440 and make the first left onto Goldsborough Drive.