Vancouver to Seattle ??? Help

ho

We are looking at a repo cruise from L.A. to Vancouver. My question is how hard is it to get from Vancouver to Seattle and make a 2:30 PM flight. What type of transportation options are available and how much does it cost? In pricing air it appears to be much cheaper out of Seattle then Vancouver. Thanks for the help.

Ho

I'm not sure about the Princess schedule, but there's a company called QuickShuttle (http://www.quickcoach.com) that runs a shuttle from Canada Place to SeaTac, but the earliest one wouldn't get you there until 1:20, so you'd be cutting it close with a 2:30 flight. I'd shoot for a later flight if you can, because you never know if there's going to be a bad delay at the border crossing. You can also rent a car, but those international one-way rentals are pretty expensive.

I did this exact repositioning cruise and flight on Holland about 3 years ago. I rented a car (hertz) one way and dropped it at the Seattle airport. Be aware that the dockside Hertz office won't be open when your ship arrives, but the downtown office will be, and will reimburse you for cab fare, which was about $6 CDN at that time. It takes about three to three and a half hours to get to Seattle. We had time to have lunch at Pike's Market and still make our 2:30 plane.

Princess has a shuttle for around $50. From my own questions here, that is the advice I've been given for the quickest option.

You'll probably be let off the ship early and, unlike the rental cars, they usually get across the border quickly. Unlike the Quick Shuttle. you won't make any stops along the way, either.

A 2:30 flight is cutting it very close. I'd check with Princess to see what the earliest transfer is and when it arrives at Sea Tac. Even the direct run by Quick Shuttle does not arrive at Sea Tac until 1:20. Also remember that the wild card in all of this is the wait time at the boarder. There are days when security is high that it may take several hours to cross the boarder.

My husband and I did a HAL repositioning last spring and arrived in Vancouver on a Sunday morning at 9 AM.

We rented a car in downtown Vancouver and had hoped ot make my son's 3PM soccer game located at a complex just a couple of miles from SeaTac. Due to wait for a shuttle to take us to the car rental company, the wait at the car rental company, the wait at the border, and a rest stop break on the way, we missed about half the game. if I recall correctly, it was after 11 by the time we got to the rental agency. So, depending on what time you get off the ship, and any delays in between, you may be cutting it close.

Thanks everyone,

I think we will just stay in Seattle for that night and catch a flight the next morning. I assume Princess has transfers to Seattle. Anyone know how much they run.

Thanks

I did this exact repositioning cruise and flight on Holland about 3 years ago. I rented a car (hertz) one way and dropped it at the Seattle airport. Be aware that the dockside Hertz office won't be open when your ship arrives, but the downtown office will be, and will reimburse you for cab fare, which was about $6 CDN at that time. It takes about three to three and a half hours to get to Seattle. We had time to have lunch at Pike's Market and still make our 2:30 plane.

Can you give me an idea of how much the car rental is? We are considering renting one from Seattle to Vancouver and 2 weeks later, from Vancouver to Seattle.

I just got back from a repo cruise where I rented a car one-way SeaTac to Vancouver from Hertz, total was $118.00, dropped it off at Hertz on Seymour St, which is about 6 to 7 blocks from Canada Place.

Also, on a past trip, I took Amtrak Seattle-Vancouver. Enjoyed that very much, train leaves about 7:45am, it's about a 3 1/2 hour trip, the train station in Vancouver is a $5-$6 cab ride to Canada Place or most of the downtown hotels. I opted for Business Class on the train, costs slightly more, but I think it included a meal, and there was a little more leg room.

I rented a one way car twice this year, In May and August. Both around $85 /day through Alamo. I have rented from Avis, Budget, National and Alamo one way Vancouver/Seatac. There is also Hertz. Be sure to get Downtown Vancouver and not the airport. I always walk to/from the offices, easy without mobility limitations to/from Canada Place.

To the orginal question, I know the routing exactly and know gas stations, airport layout etc. ONE of these factors if not familiar will add time. So no, I don't think you will make a 2:30pm flight. Seattle requires a one hour window with a car drop off in my opinion. Border delays can be significant on cruise days. You have made a good choice to add a day.

Be aware there is only one Amtrak train per day, rest are buses. From Seatac/Canada Place add about $35++ for two cabs.

I just got back from a repo cruise where I rented a car one-way SeaTac to Vancouver from Hertz, total was $118.00, dropped it off at Hertz on Seymour St, which is about 6 to 7 blocks from Canada Place.

Also, on a past trip, I took Amtrak Seattle-Vancouver. Enjoyed that very much, train leaves about 7:45am, it's about a 3 1/2 hour trip, the train station in Vancouver is a $5-$6 cab ride to Canada Place or most of the downtown hotels. I opted for Business Class on the train, costs slightly more, but I think it included a meal, and there was a little more leg room.

I have taken the train post cruise before, and while I am glad I did, we were so tired after sightseeing in Vancouver all day, I don't think I'd want to do it post cruise again. It seems lilke it was $39 pp for business class.

I am very interested in the car though. I did a rudimentary search on the internet and was getting numbers over 200 bucks and that was making the flight into Vancouver (and skipping Seattle altogether) look more attractive. We love Seattle so what we would really like to do is fly to Seattle, spend a day, go to Vancouver, spend a day, cruise, return to Vancouver, spend a day, drive to Seattle, spend a day, and then get back to the grind.

With the car prices some of you are quoting, I think it is doable. Maybe we will take the train precruise and the car post cruise. Thanks :)

Archived