"Black Tie Optional" - Crystal Cruises

We haven't cruised in years...taking a Crystal Cruise in October...

Most nights the dress code is Crystal Casual..which "I get." One night the dress code is Black Tie Optional.

My question to those of you who have been cruising a lot, do the majority of people go full-on black tie with tuxes & floor-length dresses? I don't want to under-dress or overdue it and stand out. I'm also trying to "pack smart."

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.:o

Thanks!

It's always best to ask Cruise specific questions on the cruise line board so I would have advised you post this on the Crystal Board.

However, since I have sailed with Crystal since 2002 on a lot of cruises I can answer this for you.

The answer is that the number of people you will see on board Crystal ships on Black Tie Optional nights will vary based on where you are sailing and on how the length of the cruise. On cruises that have two or more black tie optional nights you will see more people in formal attire but on cruises such as yours with one black tie optional night you will see far less.

I would say that you will likely see 40 to 50 percent of the gents in tuxedos or suits and tie and the rest in sports jacket/sports pants with some with a tie and some without.

Even when the gent wear a tuxedo or suite we are seeing less ladies in the long gowns although many still wear them including my wife but others will be in fancy skirts and tops or silk or other fancy suits.

If you go in formal attire you will not feel overly dressed and if you decide to go in informal attire you will be fine too.

Again on your cruise with one night you will see less formal.

Which voyage are you on.

Also be sure to come over to the Crystal Cruises Board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

And on that board I have written a thread that has a lot of useful information for first time Crystal Cruisers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1584517&page=12

Look at the third post from the end of that thread with the latest update.

Keith

We haven't cruised in years...taking a Crystal Cruise in October...

Most nights the dress code is Crystal Casual..which "I get." One night the dress code is Black Tie Optional.

My question to those of you who have been cruising a lot, do the majority of people go full-on black tie with tuxes & floor-length dresses? I don't want to under-dress or overdue it and stand out. I'm also trying to "pack smart."

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.:o

Thanks!

No, in my experience the majority do not go full formal in tuxedos and floor length dresses - I would say about 20% do, but the majority are in "fancy" dress - i.e. more than just cocktail-party style. Sharp, dark suits for the men and fancy (but not floor-length) outfits for the women with the accouterments (accessories, jewelry, etc).