Love cruising, hate flying...

[quote name='Cruiser_Guy']I never knew that so many of you were afraid of flying!!!! I love to fly, in fact, if it were up to me to book flights, I would book flights with the most connections and longest layovers!!! Obviously the DW doesn't let me do that! (Unless its a business trip and I'm by myself)

A few things-
1. Flying is safer than driving

2. Sleeping pills also work

3. If you are scared during turbulence, pretend that you are on a roller coaster

Trust me, flying is perfectly safe. I have over 220,000 miles with one airline and over 100,000 with another. I have been through quite a lot when it comes to flying! From aborted take off's, to go arounds, to bird strikes, to engine failures, and of course severe turbulence!!! I have been on 3 flights so far where the oxygen masks dropped down. If you would like to hear some stories, than ask! Hearing other peoples stories really makes you feel better when you fly.

Joe[/QUOTE]

How ironic - that was your 757th post! :D

[quote name='Cruiser_Guy']LOL, that is weird as the 757 is my favorite aircraft!! Take off on that plane is quite loud and exciting!!![/QUOTE]

757 is my favorite as well, with the 737NG (with winglets as a close second).

Keep it up and soon your post counts will be of the 767 and 777 series. :p

[quote name='Cruiser_Guy']Also, if any of you want to see what its like during take off (since a lot of you are practially sedated!) than you should go to www . flightlevel350 . com. (obviously remove the spaces)[/QUOTE]

Don't know how that slipped my mind too. Are you a flightsimmer btw Joe?

All - the simulated takeoff offer is still open. :D

The 732 is my second favorite aircraft, followed by the 762. LOL I don't know if we should be discussing this in this here, but hey, this thread [i]is[/i] about aviation.

What do you mean exactly when you say flightsimmer? If you mean do I have it on my computer, than yes, I do, so therefore I guess I am!!:cool:

I too like the 737NG, especially if it is a WN plane!! :D

[quote name='Cruiser_Guy']I never knew that so many of you were afraid of flying!!!! I love to fly, in fact, if it were up to me to book flights, I would book flights with the most connections and longest layovers!!! Obviously the DW doesn't let me do that! (Unless its a business trip and I'm by myself)

A few things-
1. Flying is safer than driving

2. Sleeping pills also work

3. If you are scared during turbulence, pretend that you are on a roller coaster

Trust me, flying is perfectly safe. I have over 220,000 miles with one airline and over 100,000 with another. I have been through quite a lot when it comes to flying! From aborted take off's, to go arounds, to bird strikes, to engine failures, and of course severe turbulence!!! I have been on 3 flights so far where the oxygen masks dropped down. If you would like to hear some stories, than ask! Hearing other peoples stories really makes you feel better when you fly.

Joe[/QUOTE]

In response to item # 3....what if your terrified of roller coasters too? Any other suggestions besides trading one terror for another? And I'm being totally serious here....but as a tongue in cheek--please don't tell me to move closer to an amusement park to get over my roller coaster fear...Vegas is one big amusement park! :-)

[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_111.gif[/img][/url]

LOL No question is ever stupid. I bet lots of others had the same one as you!

If a roller coaster doesn't work than you should just pre-occupy yourself with something like reading, listenting to music (trying to learn the lyrics or something along the lines of that), if you have a PTV at your seat then switch through all of the channels and find something appealing to you. Try talking to whomever you are with or strike up a convo with your neighbor. If that doesn't work than try looking out the window. That does help. It gives you a feeling of having some kind of control. Kind of like you know whats going on. And if all of those don't work than please see a doctor before you wet yourself from being so scared!!!

Also, don't forget that airplanes go through numerous turbulence tests. There are videos online that will show you what they do, and it shows you how much those things can stand. The wings can flap like there is no tomorrow and they still won't snap off. And they can also get struck by lightning and be fine. I have been in situations like that aswell.

I won't go near amusement park rides either!! I can't read on a flight, can't talk to anyone, can't watch tv, can't occupy my mind at all because it just frustrates me more and I panic more. I have to stay totally "focused" on not screaming blood curdling screams running down the aisles and throwing myself out the nearest exit!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='ciship']I won't go near amusement park rides either!! I can't read on a flight, can't talk to anyone, can't watch tv, can't occupy my mind at all because it just frustrates me more and I panic more. I have to stay totally "focused" on not screaming blood curdling screams running down the aisles and throwing myself out the nearest exit!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

........and thats WITH Xanax and a pint of Jack Daniels!! :eek:

[quote name='ciship']........and thats WITH Xanax and a pint of Jack Daniels!! :eek:[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to laugh but that was really funny....the mental pic I got..well, I'm still smiling....I can so identify with how you feel...Are we somehow related?????

[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_2_133v.gif[/img][/url] ????????????????????

[quote name='CatsnVegas']I don't mean to laugh but that was really funny....the mental pic I got..well, I'm still smiling....I can so identify with how you feel...Are we somehow related?????

[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_2_133v.gif[/img][/url] ????????????????????[/QUOTE]

Well, Didnt think I had any "Vegas" cousins........but then I noticed your angel kitty cat and your quote on marriage and I realized we were kin in a former life!!

I am also very nervous about flying. I haven't flown for 10 years and it looks like now I'll have to next year for our Radiance cruise. I realize that the meals that you used to get on the planes were never that good, but I thought it made the trip a lot faster. By the time you started watching the flight attendants deliver the meals, receive your meal, eat it and then they take it away, you were almost there. It really did keep my mind off of flying. Now, without meals, I will have to find something else to keep my mind occupied.

A couple of years ago I was flying on Southwest from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale. I watched as one FA went up to another and whispered something to the other with a dire look on her face. I was convinced that we were going down and when the FA came on the loud speaker, I knew the next announcement was going to be "we're going down!"

The announcement was that the up front lavatory was inoperable and everyone would have to use the back one. I try not to look at the FA's any more. My ESP skills are severely lacking...thankfully!

I'm so traumatized on flights that I pathetically sit and weep over a scrap of piece of paper......writing my last love note to my precious little son. Then I spend the rest of the flight looking for a place to put it where someone may find it after I'm dead and gone..........! It's horrible.....

[quote name='NeepierRoad']A couple of years ago I was flying on Southwest from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale. I watched as one FA went up to another and whispered something to the other with a dire look on her face. I was convinced that we were going down and when the FA came on the loud speaker, I knew the next announcement was going to be "we're going down!"

The announcement was that the up front lavatory was inoperable and everyone would have to use the back one. I try not to look at the FA's any more. My ESP skills are severely lacking...thankfully![/QUOTE]

I do the same thing-I am always watching the FA's for some indication that htey know of my pending doom-that's so funny, I didn't know anyone else did that-

On my flight home from Hawaii last week, it was so bumpy that the FA's in the back of the plane by me JUMPED into 2 vacant passenger seats-I had never seen that, so I was sure we were all dead-me, DH, 2 DS's (9 and 1) and DM-there were really bad turbulents for 2 hours, then it calmed down-but later, I asked one of the FA"s if she has ever jumped into a seat like that before, and she said it is for safety reasons because her jumpseat was all the way up front, and it was unsafe for her to walk that far with all the bumps-that makes perfect sense now, but at the time, I was sure she was preparing for a crash landing and we were all gonna die-totally irrational, but true.

Maybe I should make a rule for myself to stop watching the FA's too-it isn't doing me any good clearly!!

And, for the flying lover who said that the oxygen masks have popped down 3 times for him, let me tell you, if I ever, ever see those terrible, awful, horrible yellow things pop out over my head, it's all over-I am only 35 but am quite sure I will have a heart attack or stroke right there, so I won't need to worry about what happens next...

Although I don't have a fear of flying, its' just not true that many of us think fear of flying is silly. Quite the contrary, I understand that fear very well. My fear is of snakes, any kind, size, color. Even a photo of a snake leaves me weak in the knees. When I'm sick I have nightmares about snakes, I rarely will walk into tall grass or go hiking because of my fear. I think everyone is fearful of something.

My DH is a very nervous flyer, I had absolutely no idea until we first flew together. I'd known him for years and knew he had flown many times, so it did surprise me. He was absolutely white and totally sweaty, I was chatting away, totally oblivious to him, looking out the window. My favorite part of flying is the takeoff and landing, exactly what he fears the most. I actually feel lucky that he's willing to fly, so we are able to take some wonderful trips. You can bet I'm there for him, holding his hand and talking him through the fearful parts. He usually has his friend, Jack Daniels, help hime a bit. I'm not sure that would work for everyone, some people cannot or will not drink, some of us don't care to take drugs.

Please read op post #1

First line states that they live in LA and cruising is very easy from there.

Please read op post #4

Under point #5 she states that it is not fair that the people on that coast are stuck with Monarch and Vision.

Now read my post t#25

I stated that all central state people include Nevada did not have that opion to just jump on a ship. And on her point #5 I again stated as all central states people including Nevada have to fly to get to a ship that includes you. Why are you attacking me?

She is the unrealistic person here. You told me to move if I dont like to fly.... I have no problem but thats what I was telling her. I dont get it.

Archived