Spending budget on cruise?

Travelbugs2.2

In the "old days of cruising" it was sometimes hard to figure this one out. Today however, it's easy to figure out. All the prices of everything is on the internet. I personally had an issue of spending $100.00 OBC on a 7 day cruise because I prepay for everything. I bring about an extra $100.00 for misc tips. Plus I bring a "special" amount for gambling. Note gambling money is the amount you and only you are willing to loose.

Hi

For on the ship .. & we've pre paid tips.

I know it's quite an open question - I was just curious as I read a few reviews with people saying there were a number of add ons and up selling on the cruise !

Nothing different on a med cruise than any other cruise for the cruise line you are on. Many people who are going for the ports and not for bingo, spas, pictures, gambling, specialty dinner and drinks come out with very small onboard bills save for gratuities and the expensive excursions. In fact, since med cruises are so port intensive, you are likely to spend less money on board.

The big difference in cost is the excursions. We go on independent tours and those are usually pricey also.

So when a new cruiser posts and asks about expenses, people here rightfully let them know that there are other expenses such as those mentioned above. They may go overboard on a first cruise trying to experience everything. Since you have a drink package you know how fast drink prices add up if you don't plan for it. Add to that the expensive excursions and you end up with a whopping bill.

Of course with some planning you can do some of the ports cheaper by walking around and enjoying the ambiance. But you need to be prepared with maps and know exactly where you want to go.

Palma de Mallorca / Marseilles / Naples / la Spezia / Rome

TBH we weren't planning to book any big excursions. We'd get off at each port and have a look round / maybe do a hop on hop off tour subject to time available at the port - but we wanted to enjoy / relax for the holiday and make the most of the ship

We are the conservative side on spending... I usually figure $70 a day on board for auto tip and miscl spending. Relative to cash in port I typically bring $50-$100 per port, we spend more or less depending on what we find in port... i.e., we usually shop for wine, postcards, may find a gift to bring back for someone... we are not big on tours enjoy walking around and enjoying the port... have been to Palma de Mallorca, Marseilles, Naples and Rome. All but Rome are easy to do that way... you will need to book a ship shuttle in the port of all ports, except Rome. There I would recommend you book a Rome on your own tour, then you can go into Rome and explore it on your own. Rome on your own would costs at least $100 pp. For the port you are going to, I would plan $100 in spending per port.

About 30 years ago I had a Travel Agent (with many years experience in Germany and the US) tell me to plan on taking spending cash in the amount of my tickets. If the trip cost $2000 pp, then you should take $2000 pp. If the trip only cost $700, then take $700.

This formula has served me well over the last 30 years. I do sometimes bring home a little money and use that to have my photos printed.

Just have a Plan "A" and a Plan "B" for when Plan A falls apart (it happened to us frequently on our 21 day trip). Then still be prepared to go with the flow when both Plan A and Plan B fall apart.

Have a wonderful trip. Europe is a great destination!