Braemar -Baltic - just returned

gillhalfpint

When on AI drinks we have at times ordered a non alcoholic cocktail for me and my husband ordered a house spirit. He then ordered another drink shortly after - if you get my drift.

We did feel it was unfair to ask half the alcoholic cocktail price, when the only difference between that and the mocktail was a house spirit, which was included in the package if ordered separately. They also wanted to charge my husband when he asked for a 'Bloody Mary' but did not charge if he asked for a vodka and tomato juice! Funny system we thought, but soon learned how to deal with it.

On the soft drinks side, they have a ginger ale and a ginger beer - one is on the AI and the other is not. The one charged for comes in a can but the other is post mix, so you have to be very careful what you order.

Thanks for the tip. I've used that trick myself to get a Lumumba free instead of paying nearly £5 on a different cruise line's DP. :)

We had our own 'Sex on the Beach' cocktails a couple of times - just asked for orange juice, vodka & cranberry juice & it was included in the package. Also had Cava & Orange Juice included (instead of Bucks Fizz that wasn't). I think they are very fair when you are only paying £10 per day on the none-mini cruises.

Julie, did you ask for the "ingredients" separately and mix them yourselves or did the barman mix them in one glass for you?

Ray has been buying the bottles of Spitfire beer at the supermarket to try it as it is on the DP ....and enjoys it.

Julie, did you ask for the "ingredients" separately and mix them yourselves or did the barman mix them in one glass for you?

Ray has been buying the bottles of Spitfire beer at the supermarket to try it as it is on the DP ....and enjoys it.

It was Gavin that was drinking Vodka, OJ & Cranberry juice - he just asked for it all in one glass; no problem. Same with me & the 'Bucks Fizz'. I just asked for Cava with a drop of OJ.

It was Gavin that was drinking Vodka, OJ & Cranberry juice - he just asked for it all in one glass; no problem. Same with me & the 'Bucks Fizz'. I just asked for Cava with a drop of OJ.

Thanks Julie. 🍸🍹🍹🍷🍺

Just to get facts straight, the bottles of Spitfire are what is supplied if you are paying for it on the ship - only the cans of Spitfire are on the AI . My husband assures me they taste the same (but are slightly smaller), but make sure you do not ask for a 'bottle of Spitfire' or you will be charged.

This is a very educational thread.

Cheers,

Barbara

Just to get facts straight, the bottles of Spitfire are what is supplied if you are paying for it on the ship - only the cans of Spitfire are on the AI . My husband assures me they taste the same (but are slightly smaller), but make sure you do not ask for a 'bottle of Spitfire' or you will be charged.

This is a very educational thread.

Cheers,

Barbara

Thanks Barbara.

Great review Gill.

Fred is looking more and more inviting.

Someone I know (met on the Dream) is doing a ships day visit at Port of Tyne on Saturday, Happy V. I'm going to be looking out for her. ;):). Don't know how she arranged it, probably through a travel agent as that is where I arranged day visits to Th. Spirit. Could be a nice day out for you. Thomson even provide a lunch with wine. Not sure if Fred do.

Just checked. She booked through travel agent, H***, £15 includes lunch. For people new to Fred. Have a go, you'll get a guided tour round the ship which gives you a feel for it.

Edited by Jakanne1