Balcony or Oceanview?

NYCruiser84

My family and I will be traveling on board the Escape next Aug for an 8 day cruise. Personally I would love to have a balcony just because I think being able to have a little small personal escape is cool. But financially we usually do the regular Oceanview. But as I view the layout of the Escape, its Balcony heavy with not many Oceanview rooms, and the ones that are available are either at the bottom of the ship (with the theaters and stuff above) or at the very front of the ship.

Should we just try to pony out the additional $300 per person or so to get the Balcony instead?

My family and I will be traveling on board the Escape next Aug for an 8 day cruise. Personally I would love to have a balcony just because I think being able to have a little small personal escape is cool. But financially we usually do the regular Oceanview. But as I view the layout of the Escape, its Balcony heavy with not many Oceanview rooms, and the ones that are available are either at the bottom of the ship (with the theaters and stuff above) or at the very front of the ship.

Should we just try to pony out the additional $300 per person or so to get the Balcony instead?

$300 per person is a lot- that's basically $100 per day for a balcony! If you are concerned with the theater noise or getting a lot of motion due to being far forward, I would pony up. But watch out, once you go balcony it might be hard to go back!

I was wondering if that was an option ! As I know cruise prices fluctuate

Keep watching the prices, especially starting about two months from departure. It's a pain to check every day, but can be well worth it. Last June we had an oceanview booked on the Breakaway. About 5 weeks before the cruise, the prices dropped significantly for some of the upper categories of rooms. We were able to upgrade to a spa balcony for just $140 total. So not only did we get the balcony, we got spa access too! (Considering it cost $199 pp for spa passes, we really got a good deal.)

I was wondering if that was an option ! As I know cruise prices fluctuate

It is, and it's a pretty common way in which people get deals. Worst case scenario? You have an oceanview and an awesome cruise. Best case scenario? The upgrade fairy gives you a call and you get a balcony (or better!) cheap and have an awesome cruise too.

The Escape will still be pretty new though, so it'll be a dice roll whether the prices ever drop. We booked a Christmas Cruise on it in January and the prices have only gone up since then (or at least for the period I've been watching). Either way, you are going to enjoy it. We've always gotten Balconies, but I honestly can't say that I'd feel bad if I was in an oceanview or inside room. There's so much to do and so much outside public space that you'll find you only really use the room for sleeping and storing your stuff.

I'd book the Oceanview then upgrade if the price drops.

I have only seen the 3 of my upcoming cruises rise in price, not go down.

OP, you say you and family. How large of a family? 3? 4? 6?

If the added amount would be a burden, then go with OV. If not, take the balcony. Am sure you would enjoy either one...but the balcony is a treasure if you ask me to escape a loud cabin for a bit.

As I mentioned above, my 3 cruises upcoming have only gone up in price...My next one by $300 pp, and I am 2.5 months away.

The Family Ocean View Cabins on 5 are under the Atrium/ Guest services. & near the Splash academy & Nursery. I would bet they would be quiet

I loved deck 5 with the picture window. It feels like you're right on the water.

I'd book one of those cabins with no hesitation. If a chance for an upgrade came you could do so , but I don't think you would be disappointed with one of the family ocean views.

I have only seen the 3 of my upcoming cruises rise in price, not go down.

OP, you say you and family. How large of a family? 3? 4? 6?

If the added amount would be a burden, then go with OV. If not, take the balcony. Am sure you would enjoy either one...but the balcony is a treasure if you ask me to escape a loud cabin for a bit.

As I mentioned above, my 3 cruises upcoming have only gone up in price...My next one by $300 pp, and I am 2.5 months away.

Hey. We're actually all older so our last cruise (we've only taken 1 family cruise together) got 3 separate rooms. My parents in one room and the 4 kids split in 2 other rooms. It's our little annual family vacation together. Myself and my older sister we pay our own way of course. My parents help pay for the 3rd room as my younger siblings (1 just out of college, and the other still in college) don't make as much. This is only our second family cruise so I'm just looking for thoughts ideas

Our ability to pay down until May helps out tremendously !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the ones on 5 near splash academy are not a plus for your family :)

I would think the front facing ones on 9 & 10 might be a good fit, especially on 9 since it would be relatively close to the action on 6/7/8, & quiet since there are cabins below. We were pretty far forward on the Breakaway & didn't notice much of a motion problem & I know I would love a front facing window.

We also were able to do an upgrade when the BA was less than a year old for very little money, so do keep an eye on prices & promos as the year goes on.

I love having a balcony, especially for coffee in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening, but not for $300/person. I'd rather spend that money on some nice dinners or special shore excursions. How much time do you spend in the cabin, anyway?

August is prime time, add to the mix, a desirable new ship. Sorry, I would not expect any price drops.

Are the funds really that limited? It sounds like your standard of cruising is in a balcony.

No no standards. It would actually be all of our first time in a balcony. I'm perfectly fine with an oceanview, it's just that as I checked out the layout of the ship. The locations of the limited amount of oceanviews they have are a concern for me

So the ones on 5 near splash academy are not a plus for your family :)

I would think the front facing ones on 9 & 10 might be a good fit, especially on 9 since it would be relatively close to the action on 6/7/8, & quiet since there are cabins below. We were pretty far forward on the Breakaway & didn't notice much of a motion problem & I know I would love a front facing window.

We also were able to do an upgrade when the BA was less than a year old for very little money, so do keep an eye on prices & promos as the year goes on.

That's my main concern is the movement as the sway does bother me, and I've heard that the front is actually the worst place to be :(