Underwater Digital Camera

calmac

Pentax Optio WP 5MP

I came across this camera yesterday and thought it would be perfect for our cruise at Easter (Eastern Caribbean) when we plan on going snorkelling. We've used disposable underwater cameras in the past as we've never been willing to spend the large $ on an underwater housing for any of our existing cameras.

Does anyone have any experience of using this camera, especially while snorkelling?

Thanks for the link. I usually look at dpreview regularly but haven't for a while and obviously missed the launch of this camera. Turns out there is a "new" model due out in October. We'll wait until closer to our cruise (April) as the price will no doubt drop, especially after Christmas.

I bought this camera for our cruise and I liked it! It does a good job both out of the water and in shallow water. The flash isn't very effective underwater, so brightly lit subjects will turn out better. I really like it for splashy, above water activities.

One thing I don't like is that it only has the LED screen, no viewfinder. So, on bright days it can be hard to see what you are getting. I think the quality is better than disposables though because you can zoom and your pictures are all digital which allows you to edit at home. I put a large memory card (1 gig) in it so I never have to open it until I am safely indoors. The battery charges really quickly (1 hour) which is nice.

The size is good, but you will want to add a neck strap since it doesn't float. It is only waterproof for 30 minutes at 5 feet, so I try to keep mine above water when possible. Another detail I haven't investigated yet is that you have to replace (professionally) the seal once a year. I have no idea where to get that done.

Thanks for your review, Ellya. I haven't heard any mention of having to replace the seal on a yearly basis. I'll try to follow that up as it sounds a bit strange and, probably, expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Sony model about a year ago. Took it on the dolphin swim in Cozumel and the photos are priceless. One thing, be sure to rinse it good before you open it for memory card access or to change batteries.

If you'd like to see the pictures then follow this link:

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=413400225

It is all one line, but the word wrap was poor quality.

Take Care,

Lee

Bought a Sony model about a year ago. Took it on the dolphin swim in Cozumel and the photos are priceless. One thing, be sure to rinse it good before you open it for memory card access or to change batteries.

Take Care,

Lee

Lee:

Did you use the Sony DSC-U60? I bought one last year in a closeout but have not had a chance to use it on a cruise...it has done great pool and lake shots. Thanks!

Take Care,

Lee

Lee:

Did you use the Sony DSC-U60? I bought one last year in a closeout but have not had a chance to use it on a cruise...it has done great pool and lake shots. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

For the question above, we did purchase the DSC 60 Sony. Works great, and we have about 200 images from it so far, and the dophin swim in Chankannab is one of great memories now, esp. with the reports that Chankannab has been destroyed. Sad, sad day for Cozumel...

http://community.webshots.com/user/blusry

Above is many nice images of the joys of Cozumel...

For the question above, we did purchase the DSC 60 Sony. Works great, and we have about 200 images from it so far, and the dophin swim in Chankannab is one of great memories now, esp. with the reports that Chankannab has been destroyed. Sad, sad day for Cozumel...

http://community.webshots.com/user/blusry

Above is many nice images of the joys of Cozumel...

Thank you for sharing...the photos are beautiful. I too am so very sad for Cozumel and the people who live/work there...

• 2 months later...

Archived