Passport Blues

kmom235678

How many times are they gonna change thier minds they have already cost me 300$ plus they lost my docs. and said .....OH well you'll just have to get them again an NO they are not paying for them! They had no care at all that they lost Doc's that will take me years to get back and i do mean years or much more cash to put a rush on it. We waited to get one passport because our child will turn 16 Oct 1 and thought it would be better to get him a 10 year instead of a 5 year for a couple of bucks more...... But now they changed the dates agagin!!!! to 2008, I didn't mind getting the passports but if we had no need for them why should I have spent 300$ or thank goodness they changes before Oct 1 which is right around the corner it could have been 400$ this money could have went to a tour, better tips for our staff, a million other things i could go on all day but it's like beating a dead horse the money is already spent.

It's just angers me that they wait till the end of Sept. to announce the new 2008 dates. They told everone to hurry an apply due to the new laws there would be many other applying also. So we did we went out in June applied for ours like we were told now 3 months later WELL WE GUESS WE COULD MAKE IT NOT TILL 2008 all i have to say is BS give me back my money take your stupid passports back i don't need them now .......Kinda of reminds me of what they just did to me

Yea it cost you $300 but it does speed the process up for you. You go through customs much faster so look at the positive. You also have them in case you want to go out of the country on a vacation that you saw in the paper that you can't pass up or something like that. Smile

..Sorry for the government "Date shuffle'. Just on principle it's always good to have Passports. You can't get your money back ofcourse, but I don't think renewing is as costly as the original (?)

Mitch

we cruise every year we have never been held up because we have birth cert. and a DL the cost does matter with a group of 20 this is the first time we are taking the kids and to be frank with you all we have gone all out for them Suite and all I much would have rather had that 300$ in my pocket then in the Goverments at this point and time. I believe my kids would have rather had that money for them also. when they threw out that we needed passports in April we said shoot but knew we had to get them now they throw out not till 2008 take the 20 of us minus the 1 passport we have not bought yet and add that up we all could have bought a round of drinks for the whole boat almost!!!!!!!! It was money that was wasted at this point an time money that could have been put to better use.

we cruise every year we have never been held up because we have birth cert. and a DL the cost does matter with a group of 20 this is the first time we are taking the kids and to be frank with you all we have gone all out for them Suite and all I much would have rather had that 300$ in my pocket then in the Goverments at this point and time. I believe my kids would have rather had that money for them also. when they threw out that we needed passports in April we said shoot but knew we had to get them now they throw out not till 2008 take the 20 of us minus the 1 passport we have not bought yet and add that up we all could have bought a round of drinks for the whole boat almost!!!!!!!! It was money that was wasted at this point an time money that could have been put to better use.

You also need to look at this another way. What if there's an emergency at home and you need to get home quickly. Most of the islands don't require a passport for cruisers because they consider them day passers. But, if you need to get off and take a flight home, then you could and probably would on some islands, have a major hassle getting a flight because they require your passport to get on the flight. Immigrations in the U.S. may also be a hassle because you are now coming in on an international flight.

U.S. requirements are one thing, foreign requirements are another. Get in trouble on one of those islands and not be allowed on the ship and see how great that passport is.

How many times are they gonna change thier minds they have already cost me 300$ plus they lost my docs. and said .....OH well you'll just have to get them again an NO they are not paying for them! They had no care at all that they lost Doc's that will take me years to get back and i do mean years or much more cash to put a rush on it. We waited to get one passport because our child will turn 16 Oct 1 and thought it would be better to get him a 10 year instead of a 5 year for a couple of bucks more...... But now they changed the dates agagin!!!! to 2008, I didn't mind getting the passports but if we had no need for them why should I have spent 300$ or thank goodness they changes before Oct 1 which is right around the corner it could have been 400$ this money could have went to a tour, better tips for our staff, a million other things i could go on all day but it's like beating a dead horse the money is already spent.

It's just angers me that they wait till the end of Sept. to announce the new 2008 dates. They told everone to hurry an apply due to the new laws there would be many other applying also. So we did we went out in June applied for ours like we were told now 3 months later WELL WE GUESS WE COULD MAKE IT NOT TILL 2008 all i have to say is BS give me back my money take your stupid passports back i don't need them now .......Kinda of reminds me of what they just did to me

A US passport is and always will be a valuable document. It serves as an ultimate identification method. It is a comfort to know that all the members of my family have one. We are by no means rolling in money, yet I feel that our passports are well worth the cost to us, and we always keep them up to date, whether we travel or not. You just never know when you may be forced to travel, whether for pleasure or otherwise.

I find all the complaints about passport requirements to be a complete puzzle, and not a little bit ridiculous.

Just my dos pesos.

recently lost my billfold and my passport made it MUCH easier to get all doc again - Drivers License wanted 2 forms of ID and could not use a credit card - all I showed them was passport and all clearn. Social Security card needed ID and Birth certificate no valid for ID = of course my new Drivers License had no photo again passport and clear sailing. Banks to change account - ID again passport - have never been so happy to have a passport - worth every penny.

edited also if you have lost your id (Drivers license) and have to fly for an emergency before getting new one you have your passport

hope you never need to have one for either of these reasons but it sure can make life easier

My son lost his driver's license. No problem with ID - we grabbed his passport. I've had a passport since 1979. These days I carry it when I'm travelling domestically, as well. Makes the security at airports go that much more smoothly.

We had to get our boys passports when we travelled to Europe several years ago. When we decided to go on a cruise, we renewed them so that they will have them if they are ever needed.

I agree, if you consider them as an added expense to one cruise they can seem pricey, but they last 10 years for anyone over 16, and now you're ready for the world!

Don't know about anyone else, but the last couple of years I have gotten through Immigration and off the ship FASTER with my passport than those who used their BC's and DL's..........up to 30 minutes faster! I also use my passport for domestic travel - one look and I am through all the check in's and security checkpoints - takes longer to scrutinize BC and DL!

Just think- now you have the passport and the freedom to travel that comes wtih it....and in 2008 (or 2007 or whenever they set up the new regulations) when everyone is waiting in the LONG lines for theirs you will already have yours:) At least yours are good for 10 years (they are $85 in Canada and only good for 5)

I have had a passport since I was 13 and would never even consider not having one when I travel!

Cheers,

That the US government has not required passports for ALL international travel years ago is what is the real problem here. They've been "nice" for too long dealing with 51+ different drivers' licenses, thousands of BC formats, and countless other pieces of "official" documentation. This has cost us (US taxpayers) $$$ in training, in extra layers of security, and has directly increased our risks.

It quite honestly should appall everyone that folks with a picture ID and a copy of their BC do not have more trouble passing through security for international travel. This documentation should be carefully scuitenized because it is so easy to fake. Too often we have let officials take the easy way out - we complain about a regulation so they loosen it up.

In the nineties, the IRS was allowed to require SSN for ALL dependents. Prior to the implementation of these regulations, there all sorts of exceptions for providing the SSN of every dependent. Suddenly family sizes started to shrink - unscupulous people were cheating you and me out of tax dollars with phantom kids, with kids declared upon multiple tax returns, etc. There were complaints about the government placing undue hardships on taxpayers, but now you can't get out of the hospital without a completed app for an SSN for your baby and it is no longer an issue.

Similarly, when the government does bite the bullet and require passports for all international travel for all travellers, this will become an complete non-issue. Stop being part of the problem and be part of the solution - get yourself your passport! :)

I'm complaining about the way the goverment changes thier minds like they change thier under wear DAY TO DAY ....... I have replaced my BC many time i have many copies I live in the town I was born in .... I have lost my drivers licence and have had it replaced very simply marragie cert and SS card .... Those are the 2 IDs that are needed to replace the above items.

The anger part come into play one day I need a passport and the next day I don't make up your mind stop changing the rules to bend for another.

Trying to make me feel like a bad person because I don't want to waste my money on the goverment whenever they need a little more spending money in thier pocket so be it.............

If i needed to get out of the states that bad I can get a emergency visa or passport I would have to pay a little more but all my folks live in the states so unless i'm gonna flee my country for some stupid thing I did.... Well I would say shame on me for being a bad person....

However I will state again I would have rather seen my kids and my hubby have a better time with that $300 then to see the goverment sit back an enjoy it...... Bad taste in the mouth already with the passport goverment losing doc's not caring at all shame on them not me I pay enough fee's they should take better care of my doc's .........

But as you all think shame on me for using my Birth Cert. that I paid good money for and my Drivers Lic. that I pay good money for and renew when they tell me..... shame shame shame on me

I'm confused about what will take years to get back????? You just posted that you have lost these documents several times in the past and replaced them and you live in the same town you were born. You know the process, so why will it take years to replace?

I have been married twice and my first marriage they wanted the marriage ceft. and i was married in Calif. under there new cut backs it could take me 3 years to retain that marriage cert. again unless i pay extra to have it quicker.

Not a major needed Doc., but none the less it was paid for by me and was in the safe till they said they needed it.

I can get the doc in 3 to 5 buss days IF and ONLY IF i pay the extra fee's

Archived