Using a collapsible wheelchair ; Italy sharing tour, Rome, Herculaneum, Pisa

cshellz

We are a family of four cruising next August on the Carnival Vista.

How practical is using a collapsible wheelchair on the above tours.

We plan on doing the Rome, without the Vatican & Catacombs. My main concern is how accessible the colosseum is with a wheelchair.

The same for the Herculaneum.

The wheelchair is for my son who is 12, he can walk for short periods but becomes tired.

Does anyone have advice, experience?

While we did not take my MIL into the Coliseum (also in a collapsible wheelchair) I have been in the coliseum numerous times.

First off - there is an elevator to go up to the upper level. There you will get a good view of the whole coliseum. You will not be able to explore the whole thing but for a boy of 12 he will get to see the inside well enough to enjoy it. Be sure that ahead of time you research the history and how it looked and how it was used etc. so that it will come alive for him….. There is even a book they sell that has pictures of it now and then has clear overlays that go over the now picture and shows the "before" picture. Very neat book.

As for the rest of Rome, there are some areas that wheelchairs can go. Sometimes it might be a bit bumpy due to the cobblestones but if a 77 year old can do it - so can he :) We did the Vatican museums as much of it is wheelchair accessible but not all. There is even a lift for wheelchairs to see the Sistine chapel. We also did a golf cart tour (wheelchair in the back) which allowed her to see a lot more than if we had done a car tour or tried to push her……. a bit pricey but a really good tour.

Havent been to Herculaneum but Pisa is a maybe. Depends on how close they get you to the Field of Miracles. If this is a ship tour the buses park a long way and you have to walk - sometimes in bumpy areas…… The actual area is nice tho.

Pisa will not be an issue at all, there are paved pathways throughout the Field of Miracles.

The Colosseum is partially accessible but not fully; ask when you enter about elevator access. You may need to have security let you on the elevators in certain areas.

To that point, always ask for help. Older buildings that have been adapted to modern use often have very small elevators in odd places, outside of the public areas, so security is needed to get to them. A few weeks ago at the royal palace in Stockholm we got to see "behind the curtain" because we needed the elevator for my mother's wheelchair. It was fascinating - seeing the difference between the original elevators (tiny, with rosewood interiors, very plush) vs. the secure elevator used for visiting dignitaries (this one was like entering a bank vault).

Herculeneum will have some difficult places as there are big rocks in the pathways but you'll be able to manage around them. There's a big ramp that does down into the ruins so that part is easy.

I have been in Rome on land holidays and find it not very accessible. I have also taken a manual wheelchair and it is difficult on the cobble stones.

Having said that, I am very good at researching and organising my trios. If you look on the websites if any attraction you wish to visit, all the information will be there.

As has been said , colosseum should be mostly accessable. I haven't been to Herculaneum but if it is anything like Pompei then it could be a problem as the ground is very uneven. I hope you manage to get more replies from people with walking difficulties who have been to these places .

I don't know if you are doing the ships tours or if you have an option to join private tours on the rollcall for your cruise, as often the private tours can get so much closer to the sights. For Pisa our driver dropped us within 100 yards as the small 8 seater vans can get down the narrow streets. We used Italyshoredrivers with 6 others on our rollcall for 3 tours Rome, Pisa and Florence, and Pompei ,Sorrento and Positano. for all these tours our drivers got us closer than the big coaches.