Nice

bapaleg

We will be going here next year and I was wondering what there is to do. Cc members are so good at giving advice.

This was our day. Lovely city. That ho-ho cost €20 pp in 2013. From memory entry to the Matisse museum cost €6. It's about a mile walk from the station down to the Promenade des Anglais or €1 on a tram. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]OXW5R66Td2o[/YOUTUBE]

If you are only there for a port day (we assume your port would be Villefranche) then you might have a tough time choosing since there are many options. If you were to stay in Nice a few days (or longer) we could give you some fun itineraries that would keep you busy during your stay. For simple starters, in the immediate region you have Eze Village, St Paul de Vence (one of our favorite places in the area), Cap d'Antibes, Grasse, Monte Carlo, and Nice itself (with its wonderful Flower Market, Old Town, Promanade, musuems, etc). And this is just the beginning. Some good friends of ours would probably ignore all the above and just head to Menton for the day (they love this seaside city).

Hank

If you are only there for a port day (we assume your port would be Villefranche) then you might have a tough time choosing since there are many options. If you were to stay in Nice a few days (or longer) we could give you some fun itineraries that would keep you busy during your stay. For simple starters, in the immediate region you have Eze Village, St Paul de Vence (one of our favorite places in the area), Cap d'Antibes, Grasse, Monte Carlo, and Nice itself (with its wonderful Flower Market, Old Town, Promanade, musuems, etc). And this is just the beginning. Some good friends of ours would probably ignore all the above and just head to Menton for the day (they love this seaside city).

Hank

Light bulb just turned on Hank, with your mention of Menton. Next cruise we have until 11 pm in Monte Carlo (not our favorite, but love the amount of time in port). I was looking at the extended port time as an opportunity to finally see St. Paul de Vence, starting with a morning in Nice (will use bus or perhaps some train). Would we have time to finish in Menton? We're mosey along type people and would like to be back on the ship by 8:30 for a dinner on the back deck in the harbor. Is Menton too much of a push or not worth the effort?

Light bulb just turned on Hank, with your mention of Menton. Next cruise we have until 11 pm in Monte Carlo (not our favorite, but love the amount of time in port). I was looking at the extended port time as an opportunity to finally see St. Paul de Vence, starting with a morning in Nice (will use bus or perhaps some train). Would we have time to finish in Menton? We're mosey along type people and would like to be back on the ship by 8:30 for a dinner on the back deck in the harbor. Is Menton too much of a push or not worth the effort?

Lets talk practical. St Paul de Vence is Northwest of Nice and the totally opposite direction from Menton. Actually, it is very easy to get to Menton since you have only to jump on a regional TER train from Monte Carlo (or Villefrance, Nice, etc). St Paul de Vence is a challenge to access via public transit since it is not near any train line. So my advice is that if you plan on going to Nice in the morning (if it is not a Monday make sure your first stop is the Flower Market) and then going on to St Paul de Vence (accessible by bus from Nice) then forget about Menton. If you want to skip St Paul de Vence then you could go to Nice in the morning, take the train over to Menton in early afternoon, and still get back to Monte Carlo in plenty of time.

For those that do not know about Menton, it is a seaside town close to the French border with Italy. DW and I have spent a couple of nights in Menton and do not consider it one of our favorite places. But others we respect disagree and love the town.

Hank

Lets talk practical. St Paul de Vence is Northwest of Nice and the totally opposite direction from Menton. Actually, it is very easy to get to Menton since you have only to jump on a regional TER train from Monte Carlo (or Villefrance, Nice, etc). St Paul de Vence is a challenge to access via public transit since it is not near any train line. So my advice is that if you plan on going to Nice in the morning (if it is not a Monday make sure your first stop is the Flower Market) and then going on to St Paul de Vence (accessible by bus from Nice) then forget about Menton. If you want to skip St Paul de Vence then you could go to Nice in the morning, take the train over to Menton in early afternoon, and still get back to Monte Carlo in plenty of time.

For those that do not know about Menton, it is a seaside town close to the French border with Italy. DW and I have spent a couple of nights in Menton and do not consider it one of our favorite places. But others we respect disagree and love the town.

Hank

Looks like I'll stick with orginal plan...bus from MC to Nice...do the usual stuff there...bus to SP de V, bus back to Nice and then train to MC., skipping trip to Menton back and forth. Easy peasey day with an 11 pm sail. Gardens in MC should be in bloom...perhaps it will be it's redeeming factor as we make our way back to the ship. Thanks, always wondered if Menton was worth the extra effort.

Edited by buggins0402

Hank

Hank, we'll be docking next Sept in Villefranche and was planning on just exploring Nice on our own. While we would like to visit Eze, do you think it's a mistake to simply focus on Nice this time?

We will be ending a River Cruise in Arles next Oct. 2016 and were considering taking the train to from Arles to Nice for 1-2 days post cruise. Can anyone recommend where to stay in Nice that is centrally located for some sightseeing for a short time and what highlights to see in those few post cruise days. We will either be taking the train or flying back to Paris from Nice before flying home to US.

Will not have a rental car while in Nice.

Thanks!

Hank, we'll be docking next Sept in Villefranche and was planning on just exploring Nice on our own. While we would like to visit Eze, do you think it's a mistake to simply focus on Nice this time?

The lesson we have learned, from a lifetime of traveling, is that everyone has different tastes and expectations. So for some folks, spending an entire day in Nice would be perfect. For others, it might be a little boring since they just want to see and experience more places in a short time.

We have often preached our basic DIY philosophy which is all about flexibility. In your situation we would suggest you do some homework (like what you are doing by reading this post :) ) and learn your options. If you are in Villefranche on any day except Monday, we would suggest heading directly to Nice and going to the Flower Market (located in the Old Town at the Cours Selaya). This market is best attended in the morning since many vendors disappear in the afternoon. So you enjoy the outdoor market, have some java, and walk around the adjacent old town neighborhood. At that point you can start to consider whether you just want to spend the rest of the day in Nice (you could go to the Promanade and perhaps a museum) or maybe you want to consider taking the bus over to Eze Village.

My point is that if you know the options, then you can make decisions at the time based on how your feel, the weather, etc. The biggest reason why DW and I truly dislike tours is that we prefer to set our own pace. If we want to spend 2 hours enjoying a long lunch, then that is what we will do. But if we are not hungry that day, we might grab a quick bite and go off to explore another place. Of if it is too hot or raining we might head over to the Matisse Museum or one of the other approximate 20 museums in the Nice area. Or perhaps we would quickly get bored with Nice and decide to grab the bus out to St Paul de Vence (this is pretty long ride so it must be done early).

Hank

I will deal with both questions in this one post. Regarding Museums (about 2 dozen in Nice) we think the Chagall is the top choice. The Matisse is also a nice place to visit for those who like the Impressionists and especially Matisse.

As to the train from Arles, there are several options. There are no high speed TGV trains directly from Arles to Nice. So if you want to use the fast (and comfy) TGV you will have to first get from Arles to either Avignon or Marseille. And if you decide to go to Avignon (a fantastic city to visit) you would need to get to Avignon's TGV station which is a few miles from the main station located near the old town. If you take the local train to Avignon you would have to use the shuttle to get you out to the TGV Station. Or, you could use a shuttle bus that runs directly from Arles to the Avignon TGV station. If you decide to go via Marseille, depending on the timing you would either get a TGV (or intercity) train from Marseille St Charles Station or you might have to take another regional TER train from Marseille St Charles to Toulon (where you can get a different TGV).

The other option is to simply use regional trains (slower and not as nice as the TGV trains) which are less expensive. Most of the routes would have you changing in Marseille.

If this sounds complicated it is actually pretty straight forward. All the options are clearly laid out on the SNCF (French Railroad) web site. And this web site does have an English option (change the language at the upper right corner). It is also possible to buy advance tickets (and make reservations) on the SNCF site if you specify you are in France and then have the ticket delivered electronically (you print them out at home). Otherwise, it might re-direct you to the "Raileurope" web site where prices are sometimes (not always) more expensive then booking directly on the SNCF site.

And finally, our knowledge of the current train situation is far from perfect :). So if anyone else has better info (or if I have erred) we invite them to jump in and suggest better options.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 1 month later...

After our river cruise next June, three couples have rented an apartment in Nice for a week. We are in the Fabron area, and looks like there are several bus route numbers (lines 34, 12 and 65) that run by the apartment. We will be using the bus quite a bit I think.

We are looking for suggestions as to reasonably priced restaurants for dinner and little cafes for the odd breakfast and lunch. One of my sisters-in-law will be celebrating her birthday that week, and we would like to have a birthday dinner without breaking the bank, if possible.

We thought we would take the train to Monaco one day and in a Rick Steves' book, he lists some private guides one can hire for a tour of Nice and surrounding area; we thought we would do that one day also.

Any suggestions on what else to do and where to eat is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

After our river cruise next June, three couples have rented an apartment in Nice for a week. We are in the Fabron area, and looks like there are several bus route numbers (lines 34, 12 and 65) that run by the apartment. We will be using the bus quite a bit I think.

We are looking for suggestions as to reasonably priced restaurants for dinner and little cafes for the odd breakfast and lunch. One of my sisters-in-law will be celebrating her birthday that week, and we would like to have a birthday dinner without breaking the bank, if possible.

We thought we would take the train to Monaco one day and in a Rick Steves' book, he lists some private guides one can hire for a tour of Nice and surrounding area; we thought we would do that one day also.

Any suggestions on what else to do and where to eat is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

With an entire week, you'll have time to fiddle around with busses to some other great towns. Bus 400 will take you to St. Paul de Vence. Bus 82 will take

you to Eze. The schedules can be found on this website:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/index.asp?no_mobile=1

You could also visit Antibes - that I would do by train.

With an entire week, you'll have time to fiddle around with busses to some other great towns. Bus 400 will take you to St. Paul de Vence. Bus 82 will take

you to Eze. The schedules can be found on this website:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/index.asp?no_mobile=1

You could also visit Antibes - that I would do by train.

Thank you for the information, buggins0402, and for replying back so quickly. Antibes sounds like a great idea; we never even thought of going there.

Thank you for the information, buggins0402, and for replying back so quickly. Antibes sounds like a great idea; we never even thought of going there.

The next train stop from Antibes is Juan-les-Pins which has very good sandy beaches, restaurants, etc and not as expensive as Cannes. If you want to do some beach time, visit Antibes in the morning and then go on to Juan.

The same train will also take you to Cannes. You can do both Antibes and Cannes in one day if you are not interested in swimming.

Where in Fabron are you? Close to the beach or the University? There are also private beaches in front of the Radisson Blu and a little ways over there is Le Miami beach. They both have umbrellas, chairs and restaurant.

There are a number of simple restaurants along the Rue de la Californie. I recommend having the "plat du jour" at the restaurants for an inexpensive, freshly made lunch. That is usually the best choice.

For the birthday dinner, go to La Merenda in old Nice. They accept reservations, but you have to make them in person because they do not answer the phone. Open Monday to Friday only and no credit cards.

You might also enjoy Le Bistrot du Port at the port of Nice for dinner. Good prices and good food. At the Bistrot or at any restaurant in Antibes, try the fish soup.

If you are up for it, Cannes can easily be combined with Antibes for a nice long day trip. Both can be done by bus also...disadvantage it's slow, advantage...the bus is cheap and drop off spots in towns are very convenient, with very little walking.

Edited by buggins0402

The next train stop from Antibes is Juan-les-Pins which has very good sandy beaches, restaurants, etc and not as expensive as Cannes. If you want to do some beach time, visit Antibes in the morning and then go on to Juan.

The same train will also take you to Cannes. You can do both Antibes and Cannes in one day if you are not interested in swimming.

Where in Fabron are you? Close to the beach or the University? There are also private beaches in front of the Radisson Blu and a little ways over there is Le Miami beach. They both have umbrellas, chairs and restaurant.

There are a number of simple restaurants along the Rue de la Californie. I recommend having the "plat du jour" at the restaurants for an inexpensive, freshly made lunch. That is usually the best choice.

For the birthday dinner, go to La Merenda in old Nice. They accept reservations, but you have to make them in person because they do not answer the phone. Open Monday to Friday only and no credit cards.

You might also enjoy Le Bistrot du Port at the port of Nice for dinner. Good prices and good food. At the Bistrot or at any restaurant in Antibes, try the fish soup.

Marazul, thank you for your very good suggestions. The restaurants you suggested seem like just what we're looking for.

I don't think we're near the University or the beach. I think we're higher in the hills. The apartment is located on Avenue de la Lanterne, if that helps you. It's called Villa Casabianca.

Also thank you for the different suggestions on what to do.

If you are up for it, Cannes can easily be combined with Antibes for a nice long day trip. Both can be done by bus also...disadvantage it's slow, advantage...the bus is cheap and drop off spots in towns are very convenient, with very little walking.

Thank you, buggins0402 for the Cannes/Antibes information. My brother-in-law will like the "very little walking" part as he has a degenerative bone disease in his hips and knees.

I don't think we're near the University or the beach. I think we're higher in the hills. The apartment is located on Avenue de la Lanterne, if that helps you. It's called Villa Casabianca.

I am somewhat familiar with the area. It is very hilly and you might get some really nice views from your apartment. I don't know your building, but it is a nice area with mostly apartment buildings. Not pedestrian friendly.

As I recall, there are no restaurants or supermarkets nearby, maybe a bakery. It will be a hike to get to any of them on foot. And if you are thinking of walking to the restaurants in Rue de la Californie, you may also have to cross the tram construction.

I am concerned about your plans to depend on buses and public transport to get around, especially if one of you has difficulties walking. You might want to check those bus schedules to see how late they run and how frequently they run. You might spend more time on public transport than sightseeing, and may have to depend a lot on taxis to get to the train station or back home late at night. If you do that, make sure you have a cell phone and the number of a good taxi company.

Have you considered renting a car? You should be able to get some very good deals from Europcar, especially this far out from your trip. They have an agency at the airport and another at the train station (don't know how you are coming in from Arles, but I assume it is by train). Parking should not be a problem around your apartment.

Follow up on the above.

The Av de la Lanterne does go all the way down to Rue de la Californie, but that is not "higher in the hills." If that is where you are, the restaurants and buses are nearby. But, still check those schedules for convenience.

I am somewhat familiar with the area. It is very hilly and you might get some really nice views from your apartment. I don't know your building, but it is a nice area with mostly apartment buildings. Not pedestrian friendly.

As I recall, there are no restaurants or supermarkets nearby, maybe a bakery. It will be a hike to get to any of them on foot. And if you are thinking of walking to the restaurants in Rue de la Californie, you may also have to cross the tram construction.

I am concerned about your plans to depend on buses and public transport to get around, especially if one of you has difficulties walking. You might want to check those bus schedules to see how late they run and how frequently they run. You might spend more time on public transport than sightseeing, and may have to depend a lot on taxis to get to the train station or back home late at night. If you do that, make sure you have a cell phone and the number of a good taxi company.

Have you considered renting a car? You should be able to get some very good deals from Europcar, especially this far out from your trip. They have an agency at the airport and another at the train station (don't know how you are coming in from Arles, but I assume it is by train). Parking should not be a problem around your apartment.

Hi marazul, thank you for your suggestions, and for the information. I think we will be renting a car now based on what you said. We will certainly look into Europcar.

I just saw your other post about Avenue de la Lanterne going all the way to Rue de le Californie. We were thinking of walking there to the shops, if possible. My husband and I do a lot of walking where we live.

Thanks again, the information is very much appreciated.

Hi marazul, thank you for your suggestions, and for the information. I think we will be renting a car now based on what you said. We will certainly look into Europcar.

I just saw your other post about Avenue de la Lanterne going all the way to Rue de le Californie. We were thinking of walking there to the shops, if possible. My husband and I do a lot of walking where we live.

Thanks again, the information is very much appreciated.

You will really enjoy your trip.

If you haven't done it yet, enter your apartment's address in Google maps and do the street view up and down the street. Av de La Lanterne winds around quite a bit. You will get your walking done!

You will really enjoy your trip.

If you haven't done it yet, enter your apartment's address in Google maps and do the street view up and down the street. Av de La Lanterne winds around quite a bit. You will get your walking done!

Thank you marazul for the tip about Google street view. I looked up the apartment in Nice, and it looks very nice. It appears there are some sidewalks on some of the streets, so hopefully, my husband and I will be able to do some walking.