Good Bye Celebrity

JDSTURTZ

Hey Susan, I know that Plymouth isn't quite Paris, but I do feel I owe it to the folk of the West Country to say that it really is a lovely spot down there. There are some very nice towns to visit not too far away including Salcombe and Dartmouth and the Eden Project (http://www.edenproject.com/) is not to be missed.

For your 200+ mile round trip you will get to see the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Sacré Coeur etc and perhaps eat French bread, escargot smothered in garlic butter or sample a nice glass of French wine sitting outside a small café on the Champs d'Elysées, but for those visiting Plymouth, don't be too despondent:) You still don't have to travel too far for a Cornish Pasty. I didn't really sell that too well, did I?:D

Phil

Ah, but Phil, Plymouth is within reach of Dover for a day trip! Of course, so is Paris, but a trip to Plymouth "on the way" to Heathrow sounds like a good way to end a cruise!:)

BTW, my DH and I both love Cornish Pasties!

Susan

What Celebrity appears to be doing is TOTALLY wrong; changing itineraries that way AFTER you can't get a refund:mad:

I think there are some great ideas here....I really liked what one person said regarding formal night----jeans, flip flops "our itinerary changed........" but seriously booking shore exs outside of the cruise line will hurt..........

I've always said if there is somewhere you want to go and you absolutely HAVE to go there book a land vacation. I know we all love to cruise, and Celebrity does have the right to change/drop ports, however in this case....it's inexcusable HOW they are doing it.

Mary

Phil, Also on that TA with Susan-

Your 'selling' of Plymouth (nice place, been there many times:) ) reminds me of the situation here in The Bay Area. Back when both the City of Oakland and the City of San Francisco had mayors named 'Brown,' they had a huge rivallry. Willie Brown was always bragging about San Francisco, and Jerry responded to the effect that Oakland was better, because Oakland had a view of San Francisco, whereas San Francisco had a view of Oakland! Not sure if Jerry realized how damning that argument was!:rolleyes:

Describing the 'little' one might do with a day in Paris sounds like a pretty great day to me, but if it makes anyone feel better on this thread, I'm not booking a shore excursion with the ship for Paris, and, as it's the second to last day of the TA, I won't be drinking much either!:D

Seriously, we haven't been on a Celebrity cruise that hasn't had it's itinerary changed since 2002 (5 total changes). Of course, we also had a skipped port on Cunard, but that was because of weather. I love the experience, definitely book for the ship, not the ports, but do understand the dissapointment here. But I'll add that, while it's perfectly appropriate to 'vent' here (and I've done it on occasion myself:o ) make sure to follow up with written letters AND e-mails of complaint. Posting here may or may not have an effect, but a business does take comments more seriously when a cruiser took the time to write. And it may not ending up helping you personally, but might influence future decisions the line makes.

Andrew

Seriously, we haven't been on a Celebrity cruise that hasn't had it's itinerary changed since 2002 (5 total changes). Of course, we also had a skipped port on Cunard, but that was because of weather.

We've had two changes from Celebrity. The first was during a trans-Canal trip. They were dropping like flies, and we had to back up to Huatulco to drop off both the dead and nearly-dead. As a result, we bypassed Costa Rica in order to keep on schedule.

The other change was last December. Grand Cayman was a complete mess from Ivan, so from Aruba, we boogied off to Curacao for a day instead of going back via Cayman on the way home. Was kinda nice, as it gave us a chance to see Curacao, and two at-sea days on the way home to relax and get organized before we got back to Florida.

We've had two changes from Celebrity. The first was during a trans-Canal trip. They were dropping like flies, and we had to back up to Huatulco to drop off both the dead and nearly-dead.

Er...

Who or what were dropping like flies??

Susan

I've been reading this thread with a sense of deja vu....there was an outcry last year when X changed itineraries to the Baltics (and repositioned the Century up there too). We never heard from X regarding the changes...only heard about them here on Cruise Critic. I sent emails to X and called Customer Service and received very vague and unhelpful responses. Our TA also tried to get more info and received the same..."sometimes there are circumstances beyond our control" type of answer. Our itinerary actually changed a couple of times before the final one and Celebrity's website for a long time showed two different itineraries for our particular cruise date! We ended up losing Gdansk and gaining Helsinki (Helsinki turned out to be okay but we would have loved to have stopped in Poland) and losing many hours of port time (we lost an overnight in Stockholm...in retrospect this was the biggie...we loved Stockholm and would have enjoyed staying there much longer) As it turned out, we had a wonderful cruise...Constellation was great, the crew and staff were outstanding, and we enjoyed every port. But it's disheartening to hear that Celebrity is changing itineraries again. While we love to cruise, we book a specific cruise for the itinerary and it's really poor customer service for Celebrity to make wholesale changes without an understandable and/or stated cause (engine trouble, unsafe ports, etc.) Honestly, I haven't seen these kind of changes with HAL...Celebrity seems to be the worst. It won't stop us from cruising with Celebrity again but we'll go in with the understanding that itineraries can and probably will change.

Has anyone written to Celebrity regarding the itinerary change? If so, did you receive a response? I started to send an email, but figured that would get deleted.

How and where did you submit your discontent in writing?

Maybe everyone should show up for dinner on formal night wearing jeans & flip-flops & tell Celebrity that "we changed the itinerary" so as to ensure greater comfort.

Ingrid.

In my copy of the Captains Club Magazine that came today - there is a new guy on the inside cover who is billed as sort of the VP of Itineraries. Maybe we should all inundate him or invite him to address the forum

We've had two changes from Celebrity. The first was during a trans-Canal trip. They were dropping like flies, and we had to back up to Huatulco to drop off both the dead and nearly-dead. As a result, we bypassed Costa Rica in order to keep on schedule.

The other change was last December. Grand Cayman was a complete mess from Ivan, so from Aruba, we boogied off to Curacao for a day instead of going back via Cayman on the way home. Was kinda nice, as it gave us a chance to see Curacao, and two at-sea days on the way home to relax and get organized before we got back to Florida.

Weather related or to drop of a body ( yuk) is understandable. What we are griping about is the wholesale substitution months or weeks in advance of what is perceived as a "premium port" Grenada or St. Kitts for the Armpit of the Caribbean Casa del Campo and Catalina Island. To add insult to injury - the port call ac CDC is 5pm to 8am - at a port where you basically can do nothing at night, Then sail 45 min to an island where by the time you tender

you can't get anything to eat - DUMB DUMB DUMB - Must be the mayor of New Orleans running the show ( OK FLAME AWAY)

Yes, I've had a change on nearly every cruise, but I also don't really mind, as for me, it's all about the ship, and short of anchoring off the coast of a refiniery town, I'm good to go (and even then, if the winds were in the right direction, I wouldn't mind TOO much!;) ). Still, I understand that others might book MORE for the ports, and that a change would be dissapointing.

Andrew

I'm on the 12/3 cruise and emailed them last week to ask about the change and any difference in port charges. I got the same "thanks for writing, call us for more info." If they arent going to say anything more when I call then they did when I wrote, why bother telling us to call?

I work for an airline so I know about changes in schedules/weather/mechanical problems, etc. What I was curious about is WHY the changes (after final payment was charged), why no notice (they have my email address) and why the time and port decided on for the change.

I personally loved Catalina Island (although I was looking forward to Grenada), but the hours and time in Casa de Campo seems odd to me. Just curious as to why they would even bother to stop there at all since there isnt going to be a chance to do excursions (you can still do skeet shooting at night!!!). I just checked their website again and they are still offering all of the tours on Sunday leaving at 130 or later. Guess someone in Scheduling isnt talking to the Shore Excursion department either. ;)

We're going with a group and will have a great time (I still think X is the best line I've been on), but its a little disconcerting to get the canned response which I know about and agree they can do, when I already stated that I knew that in my original letter to them. Makes you go hmmmm.

I just noticed on the Celebrity web page under our booking that there is place for Celebrity to send us messages. It's entitled "Your Message Center" and when I click on it, it appears that this is where Celebrity COULD have sent us notification re: the itinerary change, rather than my finding out by reading posts here.

Is this something "conveniently" new or has it been there all along and I'm just blind?

And BTW, because of my phone calls to our TA (apparently I was the first), they subsequently spent yesterday notifying all their clients who have booked this itinerary well into next year about the changes.

In my copy of the Captains Club Magazine that came today - there is a new guy on the inside cover who is billed as sort of the VP of Itineraries. Maybe we should all inundate him or invite him to address the forum

Post the name & address and we are all over that idea! Or email me the info if you can & I'll call him/her to see if I can get some scoop. I'll post anything I find out.

Ingrid.

jazz4az@yahoo.com

Mr. Brian Rice

Executive Vice President

Celebrity Cruises

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

In his letter, he indicates that his team contributes to Itinerary Planning, so it looks like I'll have to send a copy of my letter to him as well.

Blazerboy, it's possible, considering they made an error in posting an itinerary that left out St. Kitts, but either way, it's ridiculous. They need to correct it immediately if it is an error, because no one can plan any daytime excursions with the schedule the way it is.

Karen

I have been reflecting on how these days so many companies fall back on the fine print "we have the right to do blah blah blah." Okay, we all need to cover our assets, but I know of many companies that still do the right thing overriding the legalities. After the Bali bombings, I know of several airlines that waived cancellation fees etc so that people could get off the island, or change their trip - even if it was on the day of travel. Qantas was very good that way - they even honoured tickets from other carriers (like Garuda) even though there was no guarantee of them getting their money back. They had every right to say "The fine print says...." but they were acting the right way. I know too that so many American companies have great hearts too (just think of what they have done after the hurricanes). Okay, my point? I guess I was hoping that the big businesses of today still remember that so many of us save for a long time to go on our holidays. It would show a high level of integrity and understanding if the big business would not hide behind the fine print, and just do the right thing. If a customer feels as though it is an unfair change, let him/her change the trip, or refund it. If the company believes that the change was indeed fair, then they won't have trouble reselling it - right? X, if you are listening, please please please reconsider the fine print, and just help these people out!

Aussie cruiser just stepped off his HIGH HORSE. :)

Post the name & address and we are all over that idea! Or email me the info if you can & I'll call him/her to see if I can get some scoop. I'll post anything I find out.

Ingrid.

jazz4az@yahoo.com

The guy identified in Departures is Brian Rice - Executive VP

in the article it states his team is responsible for itinerary planning

Sent my letter to Hanrahan with a copy to Rice. Posted a copy on the Thanksgiving 2005 Roll Call board.

Since we base our decisions on Ports of Call, we'll make the best of the changes this time & think twice about who we book with for the next cruise.

The itinerary posted on my TA's website does NOT include St. Kitts or Grenada. TA is trying to get a response from X regarding the changes.

All our cruises, save one on RCCL with the extended family, have been on Celebrity. But two days in DR instead of real ports where real people live in the southern Caribbean isn't what we want on a vacation we've waited for for two years. We have nonrefundable air & hotel so are going to SJ anyhow.

The Golden Princess leaves SJ the same day (so does RCCL Serenade) and we are considering jumping lines. Gulp. It's a big change (downward?) for us. Celebrity knows where we live, we'll wait for the line to decide what it wants to offer, and to whom.

Once we retire, we can be last minute cruisers where port changes really do reflect unavoidable problems rather than business rationalizations. Look forward to that, in the meantime caveat emptor.

The service on Celebrity onboard has always been great -- the staff deserves better than this.

sacway

There is one shore excursion we do want to book through X. I was able to book the two of us on one reservation # on-line. When I tried to book the other three on a second res #, I continually get a message that this res is not available at this time.

I called customer disservice and was told that you must wait at least 20 minutes between attempts. When I stated I had been trying for three days, they claimed to have gotten in through the web. We were told to wait 20 minutes and try. No change. Called again. Similar response. Tried again. No luck. Called a third time, oops, after hours.

Frustration runeth over. I feel like they are turning me into a bluthering idiot. To think I actually convinced two families and my in-laws to join us.

Never thought I would say this, but "Jack Williams, please come back!!!!!!!!"

Is it possible you need to use one of your traveling companions booking numbers to book the excursion? The system may not allow you to book the same excursion more than once under your booking number. Just a thought.

One of my biggest complaints about Celebrity and Royal Caribbean is that customer service doesn't seem to be informed about anything other than the standard rules. We spent several months earlier this year trying to get an answer on dining times for Brilliance Med cruises, and every CSR provided a different answer. I'd rather they told me they don't know the answer and refer me to someone else than give me incorrect answers (or the standard company line, as in regard to the Constellation itinerary change) time and again.

Karen

There is one shore excursion we do want to book through X. I was able to book the two of us on one reservation # on-line. When I tried to book the other three on a second res #, I continually get a message that this res is not available at this time.
I have previously tried to book excurions through the "My Celebrity" route where you bring up your cruise, do the "Modify" thing, and head for the Shore Excursion tab. The problem there seems to be that once you're logged into "My Celebrity", the system tries to create a second login for you when it switches over to the shorex pages, and the system gets real touchy about simultaneous logins for the same booking #. I've had the same problem.

This is going to sound a bit odd, but it seems to work (as long as the shorex for your cruise has actually been released!). It's similar to the way we used to do it before the "My Celebrity" thing was introduced:

So far, my best luck has been to go straight from the MAIN Celebrity page, "Plan Your Cruise" tab, then select "Shore Excursions".

Choose the destination for your cruise, whatever it is, and click Go.

Pick any port for your itinerary (doesn't really matter which one you pick). Doing this will route you to the shorex part of the web site, and will open a new window to do so.

In the upper left, you'll see a "Purchase" and "Go" button next to it. Click go.

Enter your booking number, ship, date and currency. If you booked online in the old days, this should be looking very familiar by now. It is IMPORTANT that you haven't tried to log in to "My Celebrity" for the prior 20 minutes when you do this else it'll bounce you.

If at THIS point they give you the "Not available at this time" message, something is holding your booking record open already, or your excursions haven't been opened for your cruise yet. If it doesn't say "Reservation Number not Valid", at least you know that part is right!

If you get past this, you can start booking excursions.

Hope that helps.

Archived