Shore Excursions

pvlinda

Planning a week river cruise from Nuremburg to Budapest in November. There will be days where I prefer to not participate with the cruise company's organized tour. I understand that is a general question, just trying to get an idea of my options. In most of the port stops along the river, are there easy access to taxi or public transportation options? I am hoeful that I can get to the central/shopping areas without a lot of walking. I really enjoy some light window shopping and mingling with locals especially at local pubs.

Planning a week river cruise from Nuremburg to Budapest in November. There will be days where I prefer to not participate with the cruise company's organized tour. I understand that is a general question, just trying to get an idea of my options. In most of the port stops along the river, are there easy access to taxi or public transportation options? I am hopeful that I can get to the central/shopping areas without a lot of walking. I really enjoy some light window shopping and mingling with locals especially at local pubs.

A little more info would be helpful pvlinda...like which company are you sailing with? Where are you stopping and have you been there before? Generally speaking, if this is your first trip to these ports, I would recommend the walking tour just so that you know where things are and how to get back to the ship before it sails! A lot of what you do will depend on how long you stay in each port. If your cruise has a concierge they should be able to arrange a taxi if necessary and help you with planning where to go...of course they will also provide you with local maps. As for how close you will be to shopping areas and local cafes, that all depends on where you dock and very often you won't know that until you get there. As an example: when we were in Cologne the first time, we were docked very close to the Dom and city center, when we were there last month we were docked quite a long walk from the heart of the city and had to take a trolley to the Dom. Unfortunately the Captain doesn't control where you dock, the dock master will tell him where he can "park". So, if you give us a little more info about where you'll be and for how long, I'm sure many of us will be able to give you info on where and what to see, eat, and shop.:D

Planning a week river cruise from Nuremburg to Budapest in November. There will be days where I prefer to not participate with the cruise company's organized tour. I understand that is a general question, just trying to get an idea of my options. In most of the port stops along the river, are there easy access to taxi or public transportation options? I am hoeful that I can get to the central/shopping areas without a lot of walking. I really enjoy some light window shopping and mingling with locals especially at local pubs.

Many, if not most of the towns along the Danube are very close, walking distance, to shopping areas. Vienna is one exception, but the cruise lines generally run shuttles between the main area of town and the boat. The optional Salzburg excursion is a 3 hour bus ride. In Nuremberg boats dock a distance from the main areas ( not walkable, but shuttles or tour busses will take you to the center). Talk to your cruise director about transportation options if taking that day's tour is not on your list of things to do, they are very helpful and can fill you in on alternatives.

This is my first river cruise, and we are on Viking Jarl. The ports I am concerned about are Resenberg and Passau.

Thank you for your responses. You have put my mind at ease that we will be able to get taxi assistance from ship personnel. Unfortunately, I broke my ankle a couple of years ago and it has slowed me down. I want to be able to make my own plans and not be restricted to tours. After reading so much negative information about exiting thru other boats, slippery gangways, slippery cobblestones, tight quarters for walkers, etc., my enthusiam has somewhat been dampened.

Side note: Last year, we went to Paris for a a beautiful 10 day trip. I decided to splurge and use taxis to get to the area we wanted to explore. It worked well and my walker fairly well on the cobblestones, even in the rain.:)

This is my first river cruise, and we are on Viking Jarl. The ports I am concerned about are Resenberg and Passau.

Thank you for your responses. You have put my mind at ease that we will be able to get taxi assistance from ship personnel. Unfortunately, I broke my ankle a couple of years ago and it has slowed me down. I want to be able to make my own plans and not be restricted to tours. After reading so much negative information about exiting thru other boats, slippery gangways, slippery cobblestones, tight quarters for walkers, etc., my enthusiam has somewhat been dampened.

Side note: Last year, we went to Paris for a a beautiful 10 day trip. I decided to splurge and use taxis to get to the area we wanted to explore. It worked well and my walker fairly well on the cobblestones, even in the rain.:)

I share your ankle problems. I had a tri-mal (all 3 bones) in my left ankle (which is held together with screws, plates and duct tape) and an achilles rupture in my right....so you can see walking is a problem for me. As for rafting, it's unavoidable, but most of the time it's straight across from one boat to the other so don't be afraid to ask for assistance, NOBODY wants you to fall. Cobblestones on the other hand are a hazard. You must be very careful and mind where your feet are going, especially in the rain. I've seen others using walkers and they don't seem to have a serious problem just take your time and watch where your going.

Regensburg is where to shop if that's your passion!! There's a "we have everything from magnets to cuckoo clocks" shop that is easy walking distance from the ship and was recommended to me by my Vantage TM. I bought my cuckoo clock there and they shipped everything. Regensburg is a wonderful place to buy Christmas ornaments and blown glass (my passion)...also wonderful sidewalk cafes where you can get pastry, beer, wine or light lunch. Food was wonderful!!! I should point out that the shop I mentioned is not cheap!!! But they do have some beautiful things. :)

Passau is where the wonderful St. Stephen's Church is with a not to be missed organ concert AND they called a taxi for me to pick me up at the ship and bring me back so I wouldn't miss it.

Edited by Hydrokitty

From what I've read on CC (probably won't cruise until 2017 or 2018), in some cases, the ship is sailing while the tour is going on, and passengers are brought to the ship's new location by bus. So if you go off on your own, it's important to know where the ship is going to be.

Passau is very accessible from the boat as the others have mentioned but is also on a hill (clever medieval people trying to avoid the frequent flooding and control the river). Cobblestones will likely cause you problems there. Yes, be very careful. Recently, ships have been docking further away from town, but I think this does not apply to Viking. You might encounter a cold spell in November which could bring the temperature down to freezing point in Bavaria (Passau), meaning icy roads.

Lots of small shops in Passau and a nice café near the St. Stephen's Church but I think there are some steps to get to the café. I liked the Christian artefacts shop across the square. I think it is associated with that Church.

I found Bratislava a pleasant surprise as they have done a lot to renovate the old quarter and the ship docked right at the town centre. We were not rafted there, not in Budapest either.

Enjoy your cruise.

notamermaid