Chest/Cough Problems on Navigator?

Dawne B R

Ya and exposure to another 5 million whilst passing thru airports, restaurants and toilets! Real germs ! Toilets, I always take Bleach and use it after I'm done. Bleached my sins white as snow I did. Being from another planet I suppose there is no possibility someone had a cold? Maybe it's called allergies, some people get them from being in different places than home so maybe you should never leave home without your mask. I just returned from Colorado and my wife has a bad cold. Bet it was caused by the Mountain sheep poop. Further discussion is not required. Complain to the Redundant Department of Redundancy in the Department of Health. Maybe they will regulate coughing onboard ships and airplanes. That's all in jest but I did go to Japan where a lot of people wear masks to prevent some rare disease from going rampant. Seems like it worked as I didn't get it until I left Singapore.:D:D:D

Edited by WupperAV

I have been an aviation mech for many years and here is what happens on a passenger aircraft.

Studies have shown that a crowded airplane is no more germ-laden than other enclosed spaces—and usually less. Those underfloor filters are described by manufacturers as being of hospital quality. I needn’t be reminded that hospitals are notorious viral incubators, but Boeing says that between 94 and 99.9 percent of airborne microbes are captured, and there’s a total changeover of air every two or three minutes—far more frequently than occurs in offices, movie theaters, or classrooms. Don't blame the airlines or accuse them of making you breathe other peoples air.

This virus is alive and well on land too :rolleyes:

Myself and my daughter had it and are still coughing a bit even though it's been a few weeks.... it's one of those pesky, lingering coughs.

...and really all over the place. I started coughing at the airport on my way from Calgary to Vancouver to board the NCL Pearl last month. A day and half into the cruise I was probably as sick as I've ever been. By the time I got home I needed inhaled steroids. I tried to "quarantine" myself as much as possible but I'm afraid transmission may have been inevitable. I believe most of these things that spread on cruises are carried on by passengers infected long before boarding.

Anti bacterial wipes and sprays are USELESS against viruses. Viruses are the most common form of transmission of infectious diseases - colds, respiratory influenza and gastric flu, etc. Anti-bacterial wipes and sprays give people a false sense of security. Frequent hand washing with soap and water is the only effective deterrent.

And all of those anti-bacterial and anti-viral products out there actually start to compromise your immune systems. The healthiest people out there are those who are exposed to various bacteria and viruses and build healthy immune systems. If you're not exposed there is no way your immune system can get stronger. This applies to older infants, toddlers and children.

Edited by sailinglisa

After getting this on several cruises, I always have my cabin filter changed. Haven't been sick since I started doing this

Interestingly, the cabin filter only filters the air that is recirculated within your cabin, which is about 80% of the airflow. The 20% fresh air make-up is filtered in the air handler rooms in ducting for entire blocks of cabins.

Nope - I know the difference between diesel and sewage...and it lasted two days. Maybe it was a toilet issue and maybe it was something else. At least it faded away.

My comment is about the dining room staff and the word is unsettled. Neither of our waiters were on their first cruise, so it was odd to have such sub-par service. The last day had the same feel. No new crew members to explain that one. My guess is as good as yours....

Sewage smells are rarely from toilets. They are far more commonly from "gray water" drains (sinks, showers, galley, laundry and deck drains). The traps in these lines use water to keep smells from backing up, just like in your home. The low humidity of the A/C tends to dry out the water in the trap if no water flow regularly goes down the drain to replenish it. I routinely advise folks here on CC that the most common culprit is the bathroom floor drain in your cabin (not the shower, but commonly there is a grating over a trough drain in the floor outside the shower), and that a glass of water every couple of days poured down the drain keeps the trap full.

I'd be pretty concerned if the nurse on the ship told me this was caused by something in the ventilation, bacterial or not. I'd be writing a letter to RCCL and hoping they'd be taking something like this very, very seriously.

I would be concerned that a nurse would be speculating to guests about this, since he/she would have no direct knowledge. The only way that this would be confirmed would be bacterial/spore testing, and any positive result would need to be reported to the USPH, and would result in nearly immediate shutdown of the ship. The engineering staff routinely change air filters, and also the anti-bacterial pads in the air handler drain pans.

Very often a change in the humidity level of the air you're breathing will cause mucus membranes to dry out and allow respiratory infections. This happens frequently with travel, whether by air or ship, or just prolonged stays in hotels when you are not accustomed to air conditioning 24/7.