RADIANCE/HAWAII Sept 11-21,2015 REVIEW w/lots of photos

Hoopster95

Thanks for your quick response. Your answer was very helpful because now I am thinking since our flight back to Canada isn't until very late that night (after 10 pm) that instead of doing the RC Tour that we may purchase a Pearl Harbour Tour from the Pearl Harbour website and then we can book a hotel in Honolulu starting from the night before the ship docks in Honolulu so we can have a room to drop off our luggage and return to after the tour and before going to the Airport for our flight back to Canada.

Not sure if you or anyone have any suggestions about doing this?

I want to do/see as much on the Pearl Harbour tour and like I said our flight back to Canada is not until very late in the night. Not a waste of money for the Hotel room (even though we won't actual be spending a night in the room but would have the room for convenience of having a place to store our suitcases and to refresh before going to the airport). Any thoughts?

That sounds good and convenient to me! We basically did that in Maui our last night. Our flight wasn't until 10 pm so we kept hotel an extra night, went on Road to Hana tour all day, and came back to clean up and relax a little before heading to the airport. Hope you have a great cruise!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strange, last time we were on Radiance they used the grill. The Cuban was my favourite!! Along with the roast beef roll of course!

Did you ask about it? Only guessing but thinking that there must have been an equipment problem. I loved the Cubans on the Radiance and the tutti salad in the Park cafe.

Thanks for excellent review. Found it very helpful. Going on the Radiance in September this year - same cruise to Hawaii leaving from Vancouver.

Would like to get some ideas of how things work with the cruise ending in Honolulu and disembarking and then going straight from the Ship to the Pearl Harbour Tour with Airport drop of. This tour is listed on the RC Tour site. Would like to leave Honolulu later that night to fly back to Vancouver then onto Toronto and wondered what happens if I was to book the Pearl Harbour tour - do they keep our suitcases on the Tour Bus whilst we are doing the tour? I noticed that no bags, etc is allowed on the Tour. Would like to hear from you or anyone who might have done this? Thanks.

We booked a tour through a local Limo company, sort of did a 3-way 3-day Airport-to-Hotel / Pearl Harbor and around Oahu tour / Hotel-to-Cruiseport circuit. They did an absolutely awesome job and were able to accommodate our odd trip request. Definitely call around.

Thanks for all of your response and great suggestions. After reading all of your responses we have decided to stay in Honolulu for a few days after the cruise so we can see all of the Pearl Harbour tour.

This is 100% ideal. I stayed 3 days.

1. 1st day rented a car as Thrifty's/Dollar picks you up right at the pier upon disembarkation and takes you to the car rental place in Waikiki. I did my own "Circle Island Tour" visiting the entire Coastline all the way up North into Waimeii Canyon and Waterfall, a must do. Got back to hotel at 7pm, great dinner at Dukes.
  2. 2nd day was strictly a beach day, hiked up Diamond Head early morning and spent entire afternoon on the beach... it was great! That night went to Paradise Cove Luau.
  3. 3rd day did full day at Pearl Harbor... definitely need full day. The hotel held our luggage all day, we came back and went to final dinner at Dukes, grabbed our luggage and taxi'd to airport easy peasy.

You can re-arrange the above on any day you wish. It was the best 3 days of the trip imho, better than any part of the cruise. Have a great time! :D

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed reliving the cruise by reading your review!

While I do regret not getting as involved with a few of the activities (or forcing my shy self to meet people), aside from me really enjoying Patrick McMahon's show, I found your review to be bang on. Be it the weather on our first few days out of Vancouver or what seemed the "shortness" of our stays in each of the ports, to the ship itself and the food on board (which we found really became blah by the time we reached Hawaii), my wife & I would agree with everything.

• 9 months later...
I missed mentioning that the Make-A-Wish walk was still held on Day 6. The Capt & all officers participated as usual. The line-up for donations was HUGE! Well done Radiance cruisers. The walk itself was small as I suspect most people simply donated and went about their final sea day.... as I did, this is the first walk I didn't participate.

I thought that RCL's involvement with Make-A-Wish had stopped, so I went over to donate and asked what the deal was.... RCL still has so many T-shirts in stock that they didn't know what to do with that they simply decided to continue with the program until most everything is gone. If someone can confirm on a recent sailing on another ship whether they did the walk or not that would be great. They suspected they'll end up with boxes small and XXL's when all said and done, and he said they've estimated January being D-day for them not to have anymore T-shirts left over (in Miami warehouse I assume??) and that'll when the Make-A-Wish walk will be officially retired. So I likely got my last shirt unless Jewel is still doing a walk come my December sailing.

I just did the Southern Caribbean with Serenade of the Seas on December 12-23, 2016 and they had the Make-A-Wish walk.