Cruise Galveston Oct 3rd or 4th - warning

caribill

I posted wrong information above, the weekend will be impacted. For the poster that asked about Hwy 3 as an option I can share that route is crowded every weekend regardless of what the freeway traffic looks like.

The Metro Traffic Cameras will be helpful all weekend.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERE IS THE CORRECT INFO FROM TEX DOT FOR I-45 CLOSURES:

IH-45 GULF

Northbound from BAY AREA BLVD to EL DORADO BLVD. Total Closure. Closed continuously from 8:00 PM, Friday, October 2 to 5:00 AM, Monday, October 5. Detour:Motorist will exit Bay Area Blvd and re-enter at El Dorado.

Northbound from EL DORADO BLVD to FM-1959/DIXIE FARM RD. 2 Outside Lane(s). Closed continuously from 8:00 PM, Friday, October 2 to 5:00 AM, Monday, October 5.

Northbound Entrance Ramp from EL DORADO to FM 1959/DIXIE FARM RD and Exit Ramp to EL DORADO to FM 1959/DIXIE FARM RD. Total Closure. Closed continuously from 8:00 PM, Friday, October 2 to 5:00 AM, Monday, October 5. Detour: Motorist will use the ramps north of Dixie Farm Road.

Northbound and southbound Mainlanes and Frontage Road from FM-1959/DIXIE FARM RD to FM-528/W NASA ROAD ONE. 1 Alternate Lane(s). Closed daily from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM through Monday, October 5. Alternate entrance and exit ramps closed.

Northbound and southbound Mainlanes and Frontage Road from FM-1959/DIXIE FARM RD to FM-528/W NASA ROAD ONE. 2 Alternate Lane(s). Closed overnight from 9:00 PM, Wednesday, September 2 to 5:00 AM, Monday, October 5. Alternate exit and entrance ramps closed.

Southbound Frontage Road from SCARSDALE BLVD to ASTORIA BLVD. 1 Outside Lane(s). Closed daily (Excluding the Weekend(s)) from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM through Friday, October 2.

SO awesome of you to post this!

Although we aren't sailing in October we will be sailing November 28th, just in time for a lot of people going back home after the Thanksgiving holiday...I'm a bit worried about catching traffic in Houston when we drive from Austin.

We may leave the night before and then go from Houston to Galveston that morning...but are still worried about after-holiday traffic, yuck :(

Last time when we sailed in February it was easy-peasy!

If anyone is cruising the weekend on Oct 17-18th' date=' there is a 10k marathon in Galveston and along I45. Not sure how much impact this will have on the traffic.

I was trying to figure out why hotels were so expensive that weekend and pulled up a schedule of events. I am guessing there must be a lot of ppl staying in Galveston for the marathon .[/quote']

Is it a 10k? (6.2 miles) or a marathon (26.2 miles)? If the former, roads will probably be only affected 2 hours or so. If the latter, then it could be 7-8 hours impact.

Is it a 10k? (6.2 miles) or a marathon (26.2 miles)? If the former, roads will probably be only affected 2 hours or so. If the latter, then it could be 7-8 hours impact.

It's a 10k starting at 7:30AM with a strictly enforced 2-hour limit.

It's along the Seawall, Harborside Drive is not involved.