Immigration papers

bruehaus

My wife was born in Cuba and is a US permanent resident alien. She's been told she needs a cuban passport in order to board Golden Princess. Is this true? She was able to board RC Voyager last year with just her green card.

thanks for the help

Who said she would need the passport? If it was Princess, I would believe them. Much will depend on where you're going ... so just because she didn't need one before doesn't mean she won't need one now. Give Princess a call ... for peace of mind if nothing else.

'Vegas Jim

Every lawful permanent resident when traveling needs a passport and the I-551 card (greencard) to reenter the United States. I don't care what Princess or any other cruiseline tells you. The Department of Homeland Security has changed everything. I get a least one call a week from someone who was put in deferred inspection after coming off a cruise becuase of improper travel documents. In fact these calls are paying for my next cruise it happens so often. Trust me, I'm an immigration lawyer in West Palm Beach and I know.

As an aside to U.S. citizens: GET A PASSPORT!The cost of a passport is around $65 and is simple to get. They are valid for 10 years. Why go looking for trouble. If you get that one inspector who is having a bad day or doesn't like your birth certificate that has been through the washing machine 10 times over the years you will be sorry. You'll end up missing a port or missing your flight home when you get off the ship.

I agree with Visalaw - but as an update, the cost for a passport is $55 (plus whatever your County charges to process if you do it thru the Clerk of Court - ours was $30). Total cost for the 2 passports was $170. We were both born overseas in military hospitals and got tired of toting around all the documentation required (not to mention the papers were getting a little fragile).

Passports are easy to get... actually, the photo was the most painful part - LOL!

TinaLee

Sail Away on Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived