best hampton inn in Charleston for park, cruise, and shuttle?

bdisney

I used Holiday Inn before and was not happy with them. So, this time i'm set on using a Hampton Inn. Which one is the best? I see several, and i'm not sure which one to pick. There are 4 of us. I would like to get to the port as early as possible. My biggest problem with the holiday inn was the shuttle service was not reliable, very late both ways.

I used Holiday Inn before and was not happy with them. So, this time i'm set on using a Hampton Inn. Which one is the best? I see several, and i'm not sure which one to pick. There are 4 of us. I would like to get to the port as early as possible. My biggest problem with the holiday inn was the shuttle service was not reliable, very late both ways.

There are several Hampton Inns and several Holiday Inns in the area. To which one's are you referring? It will help to know what the choices are before giving an opinion.

But one thing I like to recommend is looking at the difference between a park & cruise package and the regular rate vs. parking for such a short time at the cruise terminal.

As you've seen, if the difference is small, the convenience of getting in your car and heading home may make up for the long shuttle wait you've experienced.

Sorry if my post was confusing. I would like to stay at a Hampton Inn. If I were to drive to the port is it a hassle? I've read reviews of people saying how the people getting shuttled in are on the ship earlier since they were still waiting in line to park. If I were to drive in which Hampton Inn would be the closest? Or any other close hotels just as good?

Sorry if my post was confusing. I would like to stay at a Hampton Inn. If I were to drive to the port is it a hassle? I've read reviews of people saying how the people getting shuttled in are on the ship earlier since they were still waiting in line to park. If I were to drive in which Hampton Inn would be the closest? Or any other close hotels just as good?

Everyone has to take the cruise shuttle to the terminal either being dropped off by a hotel shuttle or parking at the port. It's a Homeland Security thing.

It is a little faster being dropped off by hotel shuttle instead of entering with your car because shuttles and cabs have a different entrance. But since you've done the hotel shuttle you know that. It really depends upon what time you show up with your car. If you go earlier, you miss the crowd.

The closest Hampton Inn is on John Street at Meeting Street. I don't know if they have a shuttle to the port or downtown and you could walk with luggage. Check with the hotel. It's a good property but probably the more expensive.

You never indicated what your hotel nightly budget would be. Does that have any bearing on how far you are from downtown? Yes. Also the rates change by month. And you didn't indicate when you're sailing.

Sorry but these are all factors that enter into your decision and suggestions.

Thanks for your help! I know about the shuttle once i'm there, that one was fine. I'm going in December. And for the price I guess i'd like to be no higher then $225, but it's always good to save money where I can! I say $225, because most of the hamptons I looked at were around that price with shuttle.

I'm thinking about just driving in to the port. If I decide to do that, what's a good time to arrive there to park? I prefer to go early anyway. If I were to do that, what's a good close hotel with an easy drive to port?

I'm thinking about just driving in to the port. If I decide to do that, what's a good time to arrive there to park? I prefer to go early anyway. If I were to do that, what's a good close hotel with an easy drive to port?

I was going to suggest that. The prices I found (without knowing your exact Dec date) were below $150 without transportation. Even 5 days at $17/day, you're still saving money and it's more convenient to your timing.

I would suggest you look at the hotels in Mt. Pleasant by the Arthur Ravenel Bridge on Johnny Dodds Blvd aka US Hwy 17. There is a Hampton Inn, there. Or on Patriots Point Rd there is a Quality Inn & Suites. Those are the closest and a five minute straight shot to the cruise drop off.

I'd arrive around 11am if it were me or a tad earlier and wait.

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it! Can you tell me which Hampton Inn in Mt Pleasant is closest to the port? I saw a couple different ones there.

Glad I could assist. The Hampton Inn Patriots Point is the closest to the bridge. 255 Sessions Way, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, 29464, USA TEL: +1-843-881-3300

Enjoy your cruise.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Patriot's Point when we cruised out of Charleston in 2011. At that time they offered a park and cruise package and it worked fine - however, I'm not sure they still offer the package. Either way, though, it was a nice place to stay since our pre-cruise plans included Fort Sumter and USS Yorktown. It was also convenient to some good restaurants and shopping to pick up some last-minute items.

I live in Pennsylvania and will be staying at a hotel the night before we sail out of New York. Is there any hotels near the Manhattan port that I can leave my car parked until I come back from our vacation? And is there some kind of shuttle service?

I live in Pennsylvania and will be staying at a hotel the night before we sail out of New York. Is there any hotels near the Manhattan port that I can leave my car parked until I come back from our vacation? And is there some kind of shuttle service?

Hi Amaya,

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You inadvertently asked your question in a thread about Charleston, SC not New York city. You may wish to re-post in the East Coast Departures main thread.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Steve

We've sailed from Charleston twice and will be again next February. We prefer to park our car at the port. It usually works out cheaper than paying for the parking/shuttle package at the hotel, especially since there are usually more than 2 of us.

The process is a little tedious as you wind through the traffic cones with multiple stops but it really doesn't take all that long. On our last trip, we were one of the first into the parking area and by the time we got parked, onto the shuttle and to the check in area, there was no line. It's not a very nice terminal so I was happy not to have to sit and wait to board.

You may not be the first on board but we were probably in the first 100 which is fine for us. We saved a little money and had the convenience of not having to wait for shuttles. We did self assist when we were disembarking and were in the car and on our way home in about 15 minutes.

We've sailed from Charleston twice and will be again next February. We prefer to park our car at the port. It usually works out cheaper than paying for the parking/shuttle package at the hotel, especially since there are usually more than 2 of us.

The process is a little tedious as you wind through the traffic cones with multiple stops but it really doesn't take all that long. On our last trip, we were one of the first into the parking area and by the time we got parked, onto the shuttle and to the check in area, there was no line. It's not a very nice terminal so I was happy not to have to sit and wait to board.

You may not be the first on board but we were probably in the first 100 which is fine for us. We saved a little money and had the convenience of not having to wait for shuttles. We did self assist when we were disembarking and were in the car and on our way home in about 15 minutes.

Thank you for confirming what I've been trying to tell people for a long time. If the cruise was two weeks, then maybe the packages would work but on a four/five day cruise, the numbers don't work out based upon the difference of the package hotel price vs. the regular room rate.

Thank you for confirming what I've been trying to tell people for a long time. If the cruise was two weeks, then maybe the packages would work but on a four/five day cruise, the numbers don't work out based upon the difference of the package hotel price vs. the regular room rate.

What can you tell me about the Homewood Suites in Mt. Pleasant? The Tripadvisor reviews are mixed but I got a great rate on a 2 bedroom/2 bath room. I'll be travelling with my daughter and some of her sorority sisters so the 2 bathrooms is ideal!

What can you tell me about the Homewood Suites in Mt. Pleasant? The Tripadvisor reviews are mixed but I got a great rate on a 2 bedroom/2 bath room. I'll be travelling with my daughter and some of her sorority sisters so the 2 bathrooms is ideal!

I haven't stayed there but it is in a good area. A little on the far side of Mt Pleasant compared to the port. Probably adds about ten minutes.

If you're only staying one night and both the rate and type of accommodation is what you need, I say why not. The hotel isn't the destination. That's my opinion. Others may vary. I hope Bob sees this to contribute.