Dressing "Down" for dinner

craykclan

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. But, assuming you're serious ... the MDR or Main Dining Room is the large dining room that you are assigned to for your traditional evening meal. In addition to the buffet, Breakfast and Lunch is also served in the main dining room.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound sarcastic. I did the anytime dining rather than traditional so I didn't get assigned to one particular dining room. When I asked for the whereabouts of the main dining room I was told that there were three to choose from and they all had basically the same food. Most of the time though we just did the buffet on the lido deck.

On Princess - MDR also refers to the Anytime dining rooms that serve the same menu as the Traditional Dining room.

The Star Princess has 3 main dining rooms. Traditional is aft on Deck 5 aft and then there are 2 off of the atrium that are used for Anytime dining.

Ok that explains it. I didn't see you post before I just posted mine.

On Celebrity there is a dress code and formal nights. While my idea of dressing down for formal nights might mean I leave the long gowns at home and go with a cocktail dress. Husband might leave the tux home but then would have a dark suit. Dressy jeans are allowed on Celebrity but I've rarely seen people wearing them. We do Alaska in May and would expect to see more on that cruise.

The last time my husband and I cruised to Alaska we just didn't feel comfortable dressing "up" for dinner. Is there anyone out there that feels the same.. We would just want to bring our jeans a few nice shirts and hoodies with our rain coat and or winter coat if we choose to go at the beginning or the end of the season.

we were on the radiance of the seas in august (july 31-august 7 sailing)

we ate in the MDR every night and dressed exactly the same each time - comfortable casual wear.

even when not in alaska, I don't do formal.

If it's not a mandatory dress code, then it's not mandatory and i don't dress up.

it's never been a problem on any ship we've been on (4 times on disney and twice on royal).

thinking back, i probably dressed formally when i was on cunard crossing the atlantic both ways....but i was 7 years old and that was in 1963, so who remembers. :)

Edited by alaska_planner