Star Wars Premiere?

HappyPig

We have booked the cruise on the Disney Dream from Dec 12- Dec 18-- is there any chance they may preview the new Star Wars movie? Official release date is 12/18 and I am wondering if there might be some special activities for this event. Has anybody heard or seen anything(Crossing fingers!)?

The only time I'm aware that a movie released at sea before a land release was the DVC member's cruise.

If StarWars is set to release at 12:01 am shoreside, you will likely have a PremEar at sea at that same time. For Avengers, they showed it in both the Walt Disney theatre and the Buena Vista theatre at the same time as there were so many guests wanting to see it. The only special activities for Avenger were some cardboard cut outs around the theatre area. And it was shown at least 3 more times over the next 2 days.

For other PremEar showings, it was only in the Walt Disney, but there were multiple showings in the BV over the next few days.

My family is on the same cruise, and I've been wondering the same thing. I don't have a huge desire to see the movie, but I wouldn't mind seeing the excitement around the debut among the passengers.

We were on the Dream in August and Frozen was played on the pool deck at 11:00 pm on the final night of the cruise. My older kids (6 & 8) and I were on the AquaDuck until it closed at 11. The deck, normally deserted at 11, had a pretty good crowd of people who were pulling chairs up to watch the movie. My kids and I got ice cream cones and watched a bit. It was surreal to see everyone on deck sit quietly and then sing along to the movie. It's definitely one of my top memories with DCL.

We have booked the cruise on the Disney Dream from Dec 12- Dec 18-- is there any chance they may preview the new Star Wars movie? Official release date is 12/18 and I am wondering if there might be some special activities for this event. Has anybody heard or seen anything(Crossing fingers!)?

Do you mean Dec 11?

And you are doing a back to back?

If the Wiki page is correct, they will release the movie on Dec 16 in most of Europe, Dec 17 for the UK and US is Dec 18, so I think you will stand a very good chance of the movie being shown whilst you are aboard, even if it is at 00:01am on the last night of your cruise!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Force_Awakens#Release

ex techie

Do you mean Dec 11?

And you are doing a back to back?

If the Wiki page is correct, they will release the movie on Dec 16 in most of Europe, Dec 17 for the UK and US is Dec 18, so I think you will stand a very good chance of the movie being shown whilst you are aboard, even if it is at 00:01am on the last night of your cruise!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Force_Awakens#Release

ex techie

I can't speak for the OP, but our cruise is a 4-nighter with disembarkation on 12/18 (on the Dream). I don't have the reservation in front of me, but based on the calendar, we will board on 12/14. That will be fun if the movie premiers on that particular cruise. Presumably the other three ships will also have the premier, yes?

I can't speak for the OP, but our cruise is a 4-nighter with disembarkation on 12/18 (on the Dream). I don't have the reservation in front of me, but based on the calendar, we will board on 12/14. That will be fun if the movie premiers on that particular cruise. Presumably the other three ships will also have the premier, yes?

Unless the new site is screwed up it shows Dec 11, 2015?

I would think it would PremEar on that cruise as it has a massive MASSIVE audience.

The other ships will show it as well on the date they decide. Whether they follow the European release date or US release date is open to discussion though!

They have shown large draw movies at "midnight" on the day of release before, so I see no reason for them not to. As to activities or Characters, that is too hard to guess.

ex techie

1514335964_Dec112015.jpg.d135f8ec25c4c496f615fad37b6baa1a.jpg

Edited by Ex techie

DCL typically does PremEARS at Sea (on all ships) for all new Disney produced or distributed films at 12:01 (midnight) the day it premieres on land in the US. Since SW is opening 12/18, I'd hazard a pretty good guess that the last night (early morning of debarkation day) you will be able to see it.

Shmoo, or Moki'smommy, you will most likely know this answer.

Although the majority of Disney movies are released in the US before the rest of the world, have you know DCL to follow the US release date or other release date if it has happened before?

ex techie

Unless the new site is screwed up it shows Dec 11, 2015?

ex techie

I can't explain what the website shows. Here's what I get when I search for our cruise - 4-nights on the Dream out of Port Canaveral.

DCL.jpg.e9859dbca64f6e33dc706d0e1bf30a6b.jpg

PremEAR?!? I need to get with the DCL lingo.

I can't explain what the website shows. Here's what I get when I search for our cruise - 4-nights on the Dream out of Port Canaveral.

Embark 12/11 for 3 nights so Debark 12/14

Embark 12/14 for 4 nights so Debark 12/18 makes sense with a 3 night and 4 night rotation that the Dream does.

Otherwise 12/12 would only be a 2 night cruise!

ex techie

Shmoo, or Moki'smommy, you will most likely know this answer.

Although the majority of Disney movies are released in the US before the rest of the world, have you know DCL to follow the US release date or other release date if it has happened before?

ex techie

If there is a port stop prior to disembarkation at Port Canaveral, DCL will follow the US schedule. If there is no port stop, they have been known to follow the European schedule--it gives bragging rights to those on board. Similarly, if the ship is on Atlantic time, the movie will begin at 12:01 ship's time, even though the US release may be an hour later. Also, if the ship is in the Med, it will follow the European schedule. I distinctly remember our gang being excited at seeing a movie one hour earlier than anyone in the US...as if it were a really big deal.

The only time I'm aware that a movie released at sea before a land release was the DVC member's cruise.

We were on the Disney Magic when Cinderella was released earlier this year and were treated to its showing the day before its land release.

So' date=' were there only sea days between the showing on board and the official release date?[/quote']

Ours was a 7 day western caribbean. Don't quote me, but I think we were on our way to Castaway Cay, which was our last port. Thinking it was on a sea day.

Ours was a 7 day western caribbean. Don't quote me, but I think we were on our way to Castaway Cay, which was our last port. Thinking it was on a sea day.

OK, figuring your cruise was the March 8 departure:

8 Port Canaveral

9 at sea

10 Cozumel

11 Grand Cayman

12 Falmouth, Jamaica

13 at sea

14 Castaway Cay

15 Port Canaveral

Cinderella was released on the 13th of March. The premiere onboard (usually) would have been at 12:01 am the night that the 12th (Falmouth day) turned into the 13th (at sea day).

So, it sounds like it was PremEARed the correct day.

8 Port Canaveral

9 at sea

10 Cozumel

11 Grand Cayman

12 Falmouth, Jamaica

13 at sea

14 Castaway Cay

15 Port Canaveral

Cinderella was released on the 13th of March. The premiere onboard (usually) would have been at 12:01 am the night that the 12th (Falmouth day) turned into the 13th (at sea day).

Sounds right--it wasn't a day early, just that no one had been to bed yet. This is the standard PremEar time.

8 Port Canaveral

9 at sea

10 Cozumel

11 Grand Cayman

12 Falmouth, Jamaica

13 at sea

14 Castaway Cay

15 Port Canaveral

Well that's the cruise but of one thing I'm sure. We saw Cinderella the day before the land release, so I'll amend what I said that most likely, it was after our sailaway from Falmouth. It wasn't a midnight showing, wouldn't have kept the kids up for that. The movie played several more times afterwards and I would have opted for that in lieu of keeping the kids up.

Well that's the cruise but of one thing I'm sure. We saw Cinderella the day before the land release, so I'll amend what I said that most likely, it was after our sailaway from Falmouth. It wasn't a midnight showing, wouldn't have kept the kids up for that. The movie played several more times afterwards and I would have opted for that in lieu of keeping the kids up.

OK, I'll give you that :)

I've read reports where, randomly (not often), a premiere at sea was played earlier in the evening of the night it should have played at midnight.