Is RCCL discontinuing Panama Canal cruises?

iuki

We too are looking for a RCCL Panama Canal cruise. Nothing comes up on their website. My travel agent is also searching for us. Right now we are booked on the transatlantic Jewel OTS in November, but really wanted Panama Canal instead. Family coming from NY and HI, so Panama would be a small saving on HI airfare. Also, none of us have ever done the Canal, but some have done Europe.

Discontinuing might a strong characterization of the lack of Canal cruises by Royal. One thing is certain however, after the Jewel transits later this month, (which is sold out... ought to tell RCI something) there are no more scheduled. Hopefully it is just a temporary hiatus and we will see Canal transits return in future schedules.

If your desire is to sail within the Royal "family" then have a look at Celebrity, they are offering several Canal cruises this season. Even Celebrity has pared down their Canal offerings this year from previous years.

I would be asking this question on the RCI board- much more likely to get the policy statements there.

Would this mean RCI isn't going to repo ships from the Caribbean to the Alaska season? And reverse?

Seems like they are avoiding the Canal like a bad rash!! I looked for Canal cruises all the way through September '17 and they have zip, zero... not to say they could not re wicker their schedule at some point. As far as the Alaska season the two ships they are using are making trans-Pacific trips from the Far East and will return there after the Alaska season.

Royal usually rolls out their schedule somewhere around April ('16), so probably won't know much until then.

Edited by BillB48

I would be asking this question on the RCI board- much more likely to get the policy statements there.

Would this mean RCI isn't going to repo ships from the Caribbean to the Alaska season? And reverse?

I wasn't sure which section to post the question, and I didn't want to double-post.I'll give it a try. The moderators can delete it if they disallow double-posting.

I didn't even think about the repositioning issues.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I hope they do continue to sail to PC. Otherwise it will drive the prices up for the other cruise lines.:(

Could it just be that RCCL is just waiting to see when the new locks will be open?

That could certainly have an impact on any decision as to any of their larger ships, however presently the only post Panamax ships in Royal's fleet are the Quantum and the Anthem which can clear the Bridge of Americas at this time. The Oasis class ships more than likely will not every transit the Canal in their present configuration of an air draft of 235'. The first two of the Oasis class ships (Oasis & Allure) had retractable stacks that could be lowered to allow passage under the Great Belt Bridge (max clearance of 213')on their delivery voyage from Finland. The newer Oasis class ships are being built in France and won't need this feature, so I don't know if they will have that capability. I have also heard that the stacks on Oasis and Allure are not lowered any more.

That leaves the Voyager and Freedom class ships which have an air draft of 208'. That is above the present air draft restrictions for the BoA, presently maximum air draft is 205'... tide dependent. As a practical matter there is a sufficient tidal swing at Balboa that an exception could be requested. I am sure there are also things that could be done to the ship they wish to have transit to trim the air draft as well. The Canal has been lenient in granting exceptions in the past, so perhaps we will see some movement on RCI ships transiting the Canal when the new locks are finally opened.

That could certainly have an impact on any decision as to any of their larger ships, however presently the only post Panamax ships in Royal's fleet are the Quantum and the Anthem which can clear the Bridge of Americas at this time. The Oasis class ships more than likely will not every transit the Canal in their present configuration of an air draft of 235'. The first two of the Oasis class ships (Oasis & Allure) had retractable stacks that could be lowered to allow passage under the Great Belt Bridge (max clearance of 213')on their delivery voyage from Finland. The newer Oasis class ships are being built in France and won't need this feature, so I don't know if they will have that capability. I have also heard that the stacks on Oasis and Allure are not lowered any more.

That leaves the Voyager and Freedom class ships which have an air draft of 208'. That is above the present air draft restrictions for the BoA, presently maximum air draft is 205'... tide dependent. As a practical matter there is a sufficient tidal swing at Balboa that an exception could be requested. I am sure there are also things that could be done to the ship they wish to have transit to trim the air draft as well. The Canal has been lenient in granting exceptions in the past, so perhaps we will see some movement on RCI ships transiting the Canal when the new locks are finally opened.

Bill, you are always a wealth of information.:) Thank you.

Could you perhaps give the same type info for Princess Ships.

Also, isn't the pricing going to be higher for the Cruise Lines that use the

new locks when they are finally open?:D

Bill, you are always a wealth of information.:) Thank you.

Could you perhaps give the same type info for Princess Ships.

Also, isn't the pricing going to be higher for the Cruise Lines that use the

new locks when they are finally open?:D

Princess is easy... they built ships that will fit! Even the new additions to the fleet, the Royal and Regal will easily clear the BoA since they are under 200'. Length and width for those two ships is 1083x126, which will fit nicely within the limitations for the new locks. Ships will be limited to 1200'x160' even though the chambers are 1400'x180'.

Toll revenues will increase in two ways, since the Canal charges per passenger berth for larger passenger ships the cost will be higher to transit the new locks because the ship will be carrying more passengers. In the case of the Regal and Royal that is 3500 passenger berths, whereas most current cruise ships that transit the Canal usually don't have more than 2200 passenger berths. All passenger berths are used the calculation even if there is not a head in the bed! The toll for the new locks will be $148 per passenger berth. Passenger ships that use the present locks will see the toll increase from the present toll of $134/ppb to $138/ppb. These new tolls are supposed to take effect in April 2016 in conjunction with the opening.

On the opening of the Canal expansion, Canal Administrator Jorge Quijano was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, stated he believed the opening would happen by the April date. He did leave the door open for slippage of the date saying that he would be able to say more when all the steel (for the reinforcements) is in Panama and some of the corrections have been completed. Link to article below...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/panama-canal-administrator-expects-new-locks-to-open-on-time-1444653273

Bringing this thread back on topic... here is the Jewel of the Seas at Miraflores Locks (Oct. 20 '15). This is the last transit for Royal according to their present published schedule. Hope they will be back in subsequent schedules!

No rain, but looks a tad foggy.

2na8e9i.jpg

Upper Level, Hi res camera.

34qqwpx.jpg

Couple of bonus screen grabs from the Canal's Expansion Cam on the West side of Miraflores Lake. First pic the Jewel is exiting from Pedro Miguel Locks, second pic about to pass under the Centennial Bridge. Looks like a Canal tug having a fire drill at the same time.

e5qkci.jpg

30wb09y.jpg