Teens on Med/Greek itinerary?

I was wondering if those that have cruised the Mediterranean/Greek itinerary with kids could comment on whether boys ages 12 and 15 would think this was fun and educational....what have your experiences been while cruising this itinerary with kids?

I do not have kids but have done several Med cruises. I think the ports are very educational and, if your kids have any interest in history or architecture, it would be terrific.

There are some very cool things that may appeal to teens more than the standard museums and such. The catacombs are a great example, as are The Forum and Colosseum in Rome.

In Greece, the ports I visited were mostly small islands, Mykonos and Santorini. Rhodes was a walled city and was very cool, if this is on your itinerary.

You will find quite a few teens on summer Med cruises so they would likely have fun getting to know others their own age as well.

I made my first trip to Europe at 16 as an exchange student and it changed my life. I have not stopped travelling since!

You know your kids best, but I would bet that they would love it. Our DD was always funny in that when we planned something educational (museums, historical sights, and such), she would moan and grouse a little. But then when we actually went to and did these things, we couldn't drag her away: "Please, just 10 more minutes in the MOMA?" So, even if your boys aren't excited at first, if you do some research, get a good guidebook, etc., they will get excited about it quickly--and have fun and learn things at the same time. That's my favorite way to learn! And, oh my gosh, it's so true about the architecture and ancient cities!

beachchick

We took my three boys (16,13,11) with us on a Med cruise this past summer. They LOVED it. There were plenty of kids on the ship and we did fabulous excursions in amost every port. They were fascinated with all the history but then enjoyed getting back on the ship to hang out in the teen area. It was a nice mix for them (and us!). I definitely recommend it.

Leslie

We just went in August witha 12 and 10 year old. The 12 year old LOVED it, the 10 year old liked it. The two years between them made all the difference - th eoldest understood what she was seeing and the youngest really couldn't grasp it. Both loved the beaches in Mykonos and shopping/dining in Santorini. I think if you mix it up between seeing the sites and just having some fun you should be OK.

Thank you for all your comments....I think this sounds like a great opportunity to see what they have been learning about for years....our school puts a big emphesis on early world history and Latin so the boys have studied this area extensively for several years. Last night my son was reviewing maps of the old Roman Empire which was exactly the area the Mediterranean Sea we would be cruising. I think this would be a great trip!

Archived