Beach info for Nassau

canalwen

Help. Need some info on beaches.

Junkanoo Beach - are there chair rentals and food/drink available there?

Cable Beach - is there public access to this beach or do you need to buy a day pass from one of the hotels?

Love Beach - anyone ever been there? are there chair rentals and food/drink available? how far from the cruise port is it?

or do you recommend a different beach? last time we were in Nassau we went to Cabbage Beach and would like to try something different.

any help will be appreciated. We were supposed to go to Half Moon Cay, but we were some of the lucky (said with great sarcasm) ones who got rerouted to Nassau.

thanks for any help.

When we were at Cable Beach last year we just took the 10a jitney to Melia Resort but went through the public parking to the left of the Melia and spent our day at Cable. The entire beach was available to us, even in front of the resort and we rented a jet ski. We did not buy a resort pass. There were locals selling drinks and someone told us there was food available but we had snacks with us and then ate in town later after leaving the beach. Cable beach was wonderful. We spent a whole 1.25 each for the jitney ride there.

As of January 2014 (last I was there) Junkanoo didn't have chair (or anything else) rentals. There are changing room/restroom/shower facilities and a small tiki hut bar right on the beach. It's about a half mile walk from port and the fish fry is about a half mile on down the road. It's not a beach I would recommend for spending all day at but it was perfect for our multi-ages/interests group that had some who wanted to shop/sight see and some that just wanted to relax on the beach.

When we were at Cable Beach last year we just took the 10a jitney to Melia Resort but went through the public parking to the left of the Melia and spent our day at Cable. The entire beach was available to us, even in front of the resort and we rented a jet ski. We did not buy a resort pass. There were locals selling drinks and someone told us there was food available but we had snacks with us and then ate in town later after leaving the beach. Cable beach was wonderful. We spent a whole 1.25 each for the jitney ride there.

Hi.

We are a family of 5 and we will be in Nassau on the 19th of December. This is our first visit. The 10a jitney? I certainly like the price point on that option :) How far from the port and how difficult is it to get to? We are looking for a beach with rental facilities, chairs, change rooms... Is Cable Beach a good option? Thank you, I appreciate any info.

FWIW, I think if you want to go to the Melia, the #10 Jitney will be faster. The 10A goes on a more meandering path, driving into the neighborhoods and such. The #10 goes directly up and down Bay Street.

Or, of course, you can take a taxi. It's not super far; probably a $15 ride or thereabouts.

Keep in mind that based on previous reports not everyone has had as good a time on Cable beach without a day pass. It depends on how much security there is around the hotel and how aggressive they feel like being. If they feel like it they can keep you below the high-water line, which is where the public beach stops. And there are no facilities like changing rooms or public restrooms on the beach. I'm not actually sure where the nearest public restroom is near there. I think you'd probably have to talk your way into using one at a nearby restaurant or something.

As of January 2014 (last I was there) Junkanoo didn't have chair (or anything else) rentals. There are changing room/restroom/shower facilities and a small tiki hut bar right on the beach. It's about a half mile walk from port and the fish fry is about a half mile on down the road. It's not a beach I would recommend for spending all day at but it was perfect for our multi-ages/interests group that had some who wanted to shop/sight see and some that just wanted to relax on the beach.

This has changed a bit; there are some rentals available from the Bikini Tiki Hut, as well as drinks and food. The hut is currently the #1 rated attraction in all of Nassau on a certain well-known travel website. It's not a great beach, but it was a lot better than we were expecting, it's a short walk from the pier and it's relatively cheap.

• 2 months later...
This has changed a bit; there are some rentals available from the Bikini Tiki Hut, as well as drinks and food. The hut is currently the #1 rated attraction in all of Nassau on a certain well-known travel website. It's not a great beach, but it was a lot better than we were expecting, it's a short walk from the pier and it's relatively cheap.

Like the sounds of walking there - if you come off the pier which way do you turn? I am guessing the walk is less then 30 minutes?

Like the sounds of walking there - if you come off the pier which way do you turn? I am guessing the walk is less then 30 minutes?

Turn right and keep walking along the coast and you will come to it, after you have run the gauntlet of multitudes of people wanting to sell you tours, taxi rides, tshirts, food, drugs, alcohol, whatever. Don't be intimidated or offended, just say no thank you and keep moving. Or take a taxi. It might cost $10 or $15 but you will be able to sit and look around at a little bit of Nassau and also help out a hardworking person by giving him/her your business.