Is the balcony worth it?

kcrowdis

Do what your budget will allow. A balcony will be wonderful! The price may be out of reach right now, but it's very possible that within a couple months of sailing you will find the pricing to be more reasonable and acceptable to your budget. You can try for a change at that time.

We had a balcony on the Star in Alaska last month. We learned from others the value of an aft facing balcony and decided to try facing the back for the first time. It worked out really well for us. The aft facing balconies are very protected from the wind and cooler weather. We were able to sit out on our balcony for hours at a time, sometimes in our swimsuit/trunks, and were not too cold at all on several of the days. (I don't believe this would have been possible in a starboard or port side balcony.)

Watching the wake and having a broader view of the beautiful Alaska scenery was fantastic. Balcony or no balcony, have a great cruise to Alaska!

Well, we are ones that have been completely spoiled with a balconied room. We'll never go back. In fact, now that we've had a mini-suite ... we may never go back to just a balcony. The perks are just too great!

Last week on the STAR, I took video from my balcony of the ship blowing thru the waves. I will play this over and over again all winter long while I wait for my next cruise!:D

~Dianne

We did this wonderful trip in August of this year. Selecting the balcony cabin was a real treat on the Inside Passage - now we're hooked and won't settle for anything else. If your budget can handle it, you won't regret a minute of your experience. Happy Cruising!!!!

We did Alaska in June this year with a balcony.

OK it's true to say that we won't do a cruise without a balcony, so we are biased, but aside from that, neither will we most likely return to Alaska so we didn't want to miss any opportunities on seeing whales or having a glass pane between us and our photographs.

My favourite time of the cruise was getting up early and sitting on the balcony watching the whales swim around the ship early in the morning... especially in Sitka and Icy Straight Point

Having your personal space on your balcony at the glaciers is just great (I went from our balcony up on deck and back again a number of times to get the best aspect)

If you can - please do it!

Archived