Is the balcony worth it?

kcrowdis

Hi,

I am in the process of researching an Alaskan cruise for May of 2006, I am leaning towards a cruise on the Sun. While looking at the different room options I am noticing it is $530 more per person to stay in a room with a balcony. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion if this is really worth it. I think it would be neat to have the balcony, especially on an Alaskan cruise, but it is hard for me to justify spending an additional $1,000 for my husband and I to do so. I would love to hear others opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

kim,, i too spent time trying to decide if i should spend the money on a balcony.and after reading many posts where people were very happy with their decision. some saying they would never go back to no balcony....i booked a bacony guarantee on the 10/2 dawn. ended up getting a BA room for only $500 more for both of us. maybe because i booked late. any way if you can wait a week,ill let you know if it was worth it joe

We went to Alaska on the Sun in June, 2004. We originally booked a superior inside cabin, but about 3 weeks before the cruise, I was checking pricing, and the price of the BA balcony had dropped to the same price. Our TA was able to switch the reservation, so we ended up with a balcony for the cost of our original inside, which was great.

After having had the balcony, however, I'm in the minority that doesn't think one is essential for Alaska. We were there the first week in June, and I thought it was too cold and windy to spend much time outside on the balcony while the ship was moving. We did spend a LOT of time sitting on the couch next to the balcony doors looking out, but I could have accomplished the same thing from the observation lounge, or several other public places throughout the ship. Considering that it didn't cost us any more, it was great. If I was trying to stick within a certain budget range, I'd book an extra shore excursion before I'd spend a lot of money for a balcony.

Would I pay an extra $200 per cabin for a balcony? Probably. Would I spend an extra $500 for a balcony? Probably not. For me, the advantages just weren't worth an extra $500. Where would I draw the line? Haven't decided yet -- hopefully I can figure that out before the next Alaska cruise :D .

Just last year, I got a balcony upgrade for just $150 per person more than an oceanview stateroom.

I would say $150 per person more is worth it, I'm not so sure $530 more per person is.

I live in Texas, even this late in the summer season, I'm meaning today, the temperature soars over 100 F, to 104 F. At night, the temperature often doesn't drop below 70 F. I really did enjoy the balcony stateroom on my Alaskan cruise last year, opening the door and sleeping, or should I say shivering, in temperature in the 50s.

Therefore, a balcony stateroom is worth more than an oceanview.

How much more is up to each and every cruiser. :cool:

Hi,

Inoticing it is $530 more per person to stay in a room with a balcony. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion if this is really worth it. I would love to hear others opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

My husband and I are one the group who no longer will cruise without a balcony. But we've always sailed in the Caribbean where it's warm so we spend alot of time out on the balcony. If you're planning to cruise in Alaska during May, I would imagine it may be quite cool. So, it may not be worth it.

However, we have never paid the premium you are looking at. We're booked in a mini-suite on NCL STAR's 11/01 sailing. The premium for upgrading from an oceanview to balcony was only $100 extra and then another $100 to book the mini-suite. One think to keep in mind, cruiselines have a tendency not to offer the larger discounts this far in advance. If you still want to book early, I'd book the oceanview now and then have your travel agent check back after the first of the year to see what it would cost to upgrade at that time.

I have cruised Inside, outside and balcony. It just so happened that we had a balcony on the Alaskan cruise, riding the Spirit. What was most appealing about that was the day in Glacier Bay. It is so convenient just sitting on your balcony watching the Seals and eagles. 10 years ago we sailed on Princess without a balcony and we were all crowded trying to get a glimpse of the glaciers calving.

500 is a lot to spend. On the Spirit my wife and I were upgrade to a balcony for only 70 a person. For that amount perhaps you can hold out and a balcony will be available. Either way, you'll love Alaska.

Chad

HI,

Thinking about an Alaskan cruise, wondering what side of the ship is better to be on to get the best view of everything. Thanks for your info.

Helen

I have cruised Inside, outside and balcony. It just so happened that we had a balcony on the Alaskan cruise, riding the Spirit. What was most appealing about that was the day in Glacier Bay. It is so convenient just sitting on your balcony watching the Seals and eagles. 10 years ago we sailed on Princess without a balcony and we were all crowded trying to get a glimpse of the glaciers calving.

500 is a lot to spend. On the Spirit my wife and I were upgrade to a balcony for only 70 a person. For that amount perhaps you can hold out and a balcony will be available. Either way, you'll love Alaska.

Chad

Hi,

I am in the process of researching an Alaskan cruise for May of 2006, I am leaning towards a cruise on the Sun. While looking at the different room options I am noticing it is $530 more per person to stay in a room with a balcony. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion if this is really worth it. I think it would be neat to have the balcony, especially on an Alaskan cruise, but it is hard for me to justify spending an additional $1,000 for my husband and I to do so. I would love to hear others opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Definitely makes for a better cruise experience. There's nothing like a balcony!!!

Counting the days!!!

Jackie

Kim,

I am one that thinks that a balcony is a must, but for others, it depends on if you are a nature person and want to be out there looking at all the amazing natural scenery and wildlife. I went in May of this year. We had perfect weather and I took plenty of layers so I could enjoy being outside for all of the scenery and photography. I not only used my balcony, but also the front and side open decks for all of the greatest views, especially in Glacier Bay and College Fjord. I have to say that a lot of folks did not seem to spend much time outside, but watched from inside.

I guess I am a typical multi-time cruiser. Started out our first ever cruise in an inside cabin. It was OK, if you like living in a moving closet with no way to look out at the stars or the ocean. Next a minimum outside. OK if you like portholes and no great view. Next a more deluxe outside with a picture window. Fine for several cruises, but there was always the nagging want for something else. Next step, the balcony. Once you have been there, you can never go back (in other words, YES, it really is worth the extra price). With our cruise last week we made the jump to the mini-suite. Eventually (read about 10 years from now) we will be up to the Garden Villa, then we will be stuck, because there is nowhere up to go from there. :)

Balcony: Watch the scenery go by in your cozy pj's while you snack on room service and snuggle in bed reading a good book...and just relax. Step out onto your balcony to snap a picture or just take in the fresh air whenever the mood hits...

Or

Head to the crowded areas of the ship and jostle for position and fight the chair hogs and long lines for a chance to watch the scenery. Day in...day out.....

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Kim

I knew that a balcony really was the way to go for an Alaska cruise but we were on a tight budget. We found an unbelievable deal (local TA matched internet biggie price) on a balcony cabin 4 weeks before our May 21/05 sailing date to Alaska. We really LOVED our balcony but I'd have to say it would be hard to justify $1000 extra.... You may find a great deal for a balcony if you can wait to book! There were lots of last minute deals for most May/05 sailings.

My friend sailed the Sun in July (inside cabin) and had a great time. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you don't have a balcony.

We would never sail any other way. First, a balcony makes your cabin "feel" much larger. The floor to ceiling glass doors bring in a lot of light and sites. Next, it's also really nice to come back to your cabin late at night and sit out there with a drink and unwind. Breakfast each morning on the balcony is a great way to start each day. And, if the pool or other public areas get too crowded or noisy during the day, you can go back to your own balcony and enjoy the peacefulness. A word of warning, it's true that if you get a balcony cabin, you won't go back to any other cabin. Whatever you do, don't get a suite. We did...... Now we can't cruise any other way other than in a suite....

We would never sail any other way. First, a balcony makes your cabin "feel" much larger. The floor to ceiling glass doors bring in a lot of light and sites. Next, it's also really nice to come back to your cabin late at night and sit out there with a drink and unwind. Breakfast each morning on the balcony is a great way to start each day. And, if the pool or other public areas get too crowded or noisy during the day, you can go back to your own balcony and enjoy the peacefulness. A word of warning, it's true that if you get a balcony cabin, you won't go back to any other cabin. Whatever you do, don't get a suite. We did...... Now we can't cruise any other way other than in a suite....

Well said Logcabin!!! One of our favorite things is having breakfast still in jams on the balcony and watching for flying fish, dolphins, or sometimes whales, and a very relaxing way to start the day. Also a great way to end it, as you said.

Listen to Logcabin's warning about getting a suite. It sure does spoil you.

Counting the days!!!

Jackie :cool:

I guess I am a typical multi-time cruiser. Started out our first ever cruise in an inside cabin. It was OK, if you like living in a moving closet with no way to look out at the stars or the ocean. Next a minimum outside. OK if you like portholes and no great view. Next a more deluxe outside with a picture window. Fine for several cruises, but there was always the nagging want for something else. Next step, the balcony. Once you have been there, you can never go back (in other words, YES, it really is worth the extra price). With our cruise last week we made the jump to the mini-suite. Eventually (read about 10 years from now) we will be up to the Garden Villa, then we will be stuck, because there is nowhere up to go from there. :)

SeattleCruiselover, you have worked your way up! And I do hope you make it into one of the Garden Villas some day!

On our first cruise to Alaska on the NCL Sky in September 2003, we were advised to book a balcony. We were so glad that we did!

On the NCL Spirit in July 2004, we enjoyed another balcony to Alaska, taking in the sights of Tracy Arm Fjord & Sawyer Glaciers from there.

On the NCL Star in June 2005, we upgraded a to a mini-suite and the extra space was nice. And the views of Glacier Bay were fabulous from our balcony (from about 6 a.m. until mid-afternoon) and it was so nice not having to leave our cabin or miss any of the sights while dining (even got room service for meals).

We just booked our 4th cruise to Alaska for May 2006, returning on the Star as we want to see Glacier Bay once again. This time we splurged and have an AE overlooking the wake with a wrap-around balcony. Hope we won't get too spoiled (with butler and all)!

But I agree, a balcony is the only way to see Alaska and be able to enjoy the sunrise, sunset, and beautiful scenery any time of the day or night from the privacy of your own little viewpoint!

only my humble opinion and I am in a minority here: no way would I pay $500 more for a balcony, not even for Alaska, especially in May when the weather can be very cool. I would pay $100. I have done the balcony twice, once with my daughter and once with DH. He really could care less, they are nice, yet not that nice. I think I would watch the prices before deciding; $500 more seems very high to me. BTW, the Sun is an awesome ship. NMNita

I remember our first cruise with a balcony. It to was to Alaska. We lucked out, in that we were upgraded (by Celebrity), from a balcony cabin to a suite (butler included), for a mere $50. For the extra money, We had no hassle to get excursion tickets, (the BUTLER DID IT). We had finger sandwiches & fresh fruit around 3PM (THE BUTLER DID IT). We had early disembasrkation priviledge, (NO the Butler didn't do that, lol). We could have not paid for such LUXURY. We have cruised many times since, ALWAYS with a balcony, We find balconies very restful, as well as private. We get to feel the ocean breeze, perhaps see some whales (we had Orca's) trailing our ship when Alaska bound, or just just the serenity of it all. For my money, balconies are the ONLY way to travel when cruising. Regardless what you choose, just enjoy. I truly feel that cruising provides the best bang for the buck. Kick up your heels, let your hair down, you deserve it. May all your cruises be PLEASANT & MEMORABLE ONES.

We got spoiled on our first cruise (24 day repo from Seattle, to Vancouver, then south...............canal, Caribbean, etc.) with a balcony...............bkfst on the balcony..............I'd go outside at night just to watch the foam we made on the water!

But, May in Alaska? I'd never pay that much more.

We just did an eleven night to Alaska (first part of Sept., when it's warm) with an oceanview for $849. each.................shop around...........use the internet.

YOU WILL LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT ALASKA.;)

The scenery in Alaska is too wonderous to miss by not having a balcony. My husband and I sat there & watched in awe. No crowds to block our view.

Yes, it was nore expensive, but worth every penny. We also kept the door slightly open at night, for fresh air.

This summer I did the Boston--Bermuda cruise on the Majesty. Unfortunately, this ship has no balconies, so we had an oceanview. I could never be happy with an inside cabin, because I need to be able to look outside.

Archived