A tuxedo question

sgrissom

We first started going to Jos A at Lenox in the mid 80's when one of our sons was getting his Master's at GT. We would visit and buy him clothes there. Then we moved here in the mid 90's and they are in a number of locations, one about a mile from us at Northpoint (if you are local to the area). They still have nice things. DH especially enjoys their cashmere sales. ;)

I finally bought my first tux after renting one for $80 for our cruise in 2001. Some have said that this was too little, too late since we have five married daughter's and two married sons.

I bought my tux online, shirt and shoes for about $160 at cheaptux.com and have been completely satisfied. On their site, they state that "Most fine tailors wish you to believe that a tux is something very special, but really is is just a black suit"! The cost has been well amortized on several additional cruises and from the same source I've added other items such as a burgundy cumberbun, additional formal shirts and a vest to my formal wardrobe.

I have since added a vest. For those of us who tend to overeat on a cruise, I think a vest is essential from a comfort point of view! Much easier on the midsection than a cumberbun. And I did buy the vest separately online after I purchased the tux.

I own two tuxedos (including the one I got married in that still fits) and a dinner jacket.

I have a variety of shirts (different collars and material, cotton, linen). And a drawer full of cumberbunds and real (not pre-tied) bowties. Not to mention a rack full of suspenders.

Never been much of a vest guy, but have seen some that I wouldn't mind wearing.

The main thing to consider is the quality of the material. You want to get wool starting in the 120s because it will last longer and hang well. Good tailoring also is a must. And avoid the latest trend because while it may go out of style, a traditional tux never does.

You don't need to get shirts and accessories from the tux manufacturer. In fact, he'll probably want to have a variety, especially if you do a crossing on the QM2 and wear it every night.

You might want to check Ben Silver (bensilver.com) for some ideas.

Archived