A tuxedo question

sgrissom

DH is considering buying a tuxedo locally. He's tried renting before but he's not an "off the rack" type body and the rentals are either too big or too small. We are debating whether or not he needs a vest. I say no, he says yes. Any opinions?

One my DH's tuxedo came with a vest that he never wears. He likes different cummerbunds and matching ties better than the vest.

From my observations, I'd say a small percentage of men who wear a tuxedo wear it with a vest but some definitely do. It's really an individual choice. No right or wrong answer.

If you cruise just a few times, buying the tuxedo will be more economical than continuing to rent one.

DH is considering buying a tuxedo locally. He's tried renting before but he's not an "off the rack" type body and the rentals are either too big or too small. We are debating whether or not he needs a vest. I say no, he says yes. Any opinions?

That's strictly a personal preference. Why the debate? Either look fine.

Just be sure to buy pants with an adjustable waist band!:)

That's strictly a personal preference. Why the debate? Either look fine.

Just be sure to buy pants with an adjustable waist band!:)

Well, the "debate" goes like this:

Me: a)The vest is an extra $60, b) you always complain you're too hot in your tuxedo and the vest will only make you hotter, and c) tuxes look better without a vest...I never saw James Bond in a vest ;)

He: Tuxes don't look right without a vest!

I have my own Tux and have the vest. It is not the one that came with it. The vest I use has a diamond pattern to it and I think it classes up my tux because my tie matches the vest..But I guess it is all up to how you feel about the vest

:) To Vest or not to vest that is the Question :)

He needs to look at pictures of tuxes in catalogs. Very few will have a vest! :) I don't wear one.

As you shop, you might want to consider online auction sites. I got mine that way, new with tags, for about the cost of one rental.

Thanks jhannah, but he can't buy off the rack. He's narrow in the waist and broad in the chest and all his suits require extensive alterations. So I think we're better off with our local shop.

What is your preferred collar style on a tuxedo shirt:

1. Traditional spread collar (w/ classic tuxedo bow tie)

2. Wing collar (w/ classic tuxedo bow tie)

3. Band collar (no tie)

I guess I prefer the wing collar...does one look better with or without a vest?

Personally I don't like the winged collar but it's strictly my preference. I think they look great....just not on me. I also have gone to wear my tux with a black silk tie (full length tie, not a bow) and the standard collar works better. I did try a winged collar shirt on one cruise and the laundry didn't do the best job on it for the second formal night so between that and my preference I've dropped that shirt from my wardrobe.

If you husband is not an "off the rack" type of body, a vest MIGHT be a good idea. It all depends upon what you mean by him not having an "off the rack" type of body. For example ... I have a long torso and shorter legs (I'm a full 6 feet tall but have a 30 inch inseam); this means that I had to buy a whole extra set of studs in order to get one extra so that I don't have regular button showing just above the cummerbund. A Vest solves that problem.

There are several other reasons for having a vest. It enables one to have yet another "look" with one's formal outfits. Yes, one can change color of cummerbund and tie, but that's a minimal change. The vest is a major change that helps to mix around the appearance. The same is true regarding collar types. Which reminds me, I need to check my tux shirts to see if the necks still fit me well-enough. :)

I own my Tux, and I've gotten good wear out of it over the last 8 years. I'm looking at buying a new one. Check the internet ... there are a good dozen or so discount Tuxedo outlets on the internet. Just Google: Tuxedos.

And as for James Bond: Sean Connery often wore suits with vests, but during his day Tuxedos with them were not popular. ;) :D

He's narrow in the waist and broad in the chest and all his suits require extensive alterations. So I think we're better off with our local shop.
They call that style "athletic cut." You still might have luck online. A tux rental place may be closing some out. Search for that term and see if you come up with anything. Good luck.

My husband invested quite a bit of cash in his tummy (and it showed), so he looked much better with a vest. He was able to find half-vests---it looked like a full vest in front, but had a kind of halter neck and an adjustable strap around the waist. It didn't ride up as a cummerbund did.

Something like that would reduce the "too hot" problem.

I, too, have a "not off the rack-type" of body, but surprisingly found it not too difficult for a local formal wear store to be able to fit me with an excellent quality tux in the mid-price range. Check fabrics; some are lighter than others. The one I bought has been worn in equatorial areas and always has been comfortable.

As revneal suggests, a cummerbund and a vest (with matching ties) gives one two different looks. Personally, I like that idea and have two different vests and two different cummerbunds.

To save a bit of money, if the store with which you deal does rentals, they may have an "outlet"-type store that sells vest/tie combinations that have been rented and they now want to sell. I bought my vests/ties that way and saved alot of money over buying them "new" retail. Ask the clerk or store manager and you may be pleased at how much you can save.

DH isn't an 'off the rack' type either. He's 6'6", 44" chest, 34" waist and wears an athletic or european cut suit. We were concerned with his first on-board rental, as all suits he buys require alterations. Most manufactures seem to feel that TALL = BIG. I don't know how they do it, but he's never had a poor fitting rental tux on HAL.

I'm considering getting him his own tux, but he is resisting. He's quite happy not having to pack formal wear. He likes having it 'appear' in the cabin closet. We WILL be buying his own formal shoes though. The rental company just doesn't carry narrow widths. He has tried wearing 2 pairs of socks, but this last time he couldn't wear the shoes past dinner.

So, you may want to try the tux rental (DH prefers vests too), but if your DH wears narrow width shoes - consider buying them.

www.formalwearoutlet.com If you live anywhere near here ... it's worth the drive! Amazing place. Yes, you need to go to your own tailor after shopping ... but again, well worth it! They do some mail/phone orders ... see the links across the top. It's a place we stumbled upon several months before our first cruise. DH has enough "formalwear" to last a lifetime after one visit there (even got shoes that fit!) . . .

I bought my DH's tux from the tuxman on e-bay. He is not an off the rack type guy either. He wears a 42 long jacket but his inseam is only 30" and he is 6/1" (tall from the waist up). We had to have the pants shortened but it was worth it. We got the tux, two vests (the tuxman asked me for my colors and threw in a royal blue tie and vest and a black and silver one), a cumberbund and bow tie, studs and a tux shirt for the cost of one rental. In March will be the third cruise he has worn it and it was in great shape for being used. The tuxman has all different sizes. You might want to check him out. I think he owns a tux rental shop and sells out his inventory.

You folks have given us lots of ideas. Thanks!

DH has rented a tux twice before, once on Carnival and once on Celebrity. Both times the coat looked awful and they didn't have anything else that looked any better. We've also tried our local tux shop in the mall and they couldn't fit him either. And when he shops for regular suits, he has a really hard time finding anything that works. The jackets usually require extensive alterations.

I think jhannah's hit the nail on the head. He needs an "athletic cut." I'll try searching for that on the internet, but I suspect that we'll be using our local trusted haberdashery. They've got a sale going on for $199 for the 2 pieces, including alterations. Not as great a deal as the ones on the internet, but probably safer given our previous experience. Rkacruiser, we'll take your advice and look for a lighter fabric.

And, btw, you all have convinced me to go ahead and get the vest in order to be able to have several different looks (we'll have 3 formal nights on our up-coming cruise). But now I've got a new question, could I buy the vest, cumberbunds and ties from an internet source after buying the tux locally, or does the vest need to be the same as the tux?

My own recommendation is that you buy the vest and/or cumberbund sets locally. The only reason I say that is it's nice to have "eyes on" so you can see and touch the materials. As with any clothing item not all are created equally....meaning they might look good on the web but not be well made once they arrive in the mail. However, vests, more so than cumberbund sets, run from inexpensive to very expensive depending on how fancy you want to get. I've seen vests that were almost as much as I paid for my tux from Nordstroms years ago. Joseph A. Banks sometimes has a sale on formal wear and I've found some very nice cumberbund sets. Of course, you can also shop from one of the major retailers on the web and have a little more assurance that you're going to get the same quality that you would in their brick and mortar stores.

Randyk47,

It's really funny that you mention Jos Banks. That's what I meant by our "local haberdashery" that has the sale for $199. Banks is a Baltimore-based business, and I'd forgotten that they'd "gone national."

Again, thanks for the advice.

Randy and sgrissom- Yes, really funny that you both mentioned Jos A Banks! That's where everyone we know here in Atlanta has gotten their tux(s), including DH. Quality clothing, great tailoring, and top notch accessories. You may pay a little more than on the internet, but you will look like a million bucks and their sale is when everyone gets their formal outfits. :)

No doubt Banks has taken a step or two up over the years. Initially I was not impressed with their clothing....I was living in Northern Virginia and probably got exposed to Banks early on in their expansion efforts. We moved to San Antonio in early 2003 and Banks opened a new store a few months later not far from our office. I can't say I go there a lot but every few months, when we're in that particular strip mall, I drop in and see what they have on sale. Occasionally they have store manager specials and I've added a few formal pieces to my collection. Picked up a new dress shirt for my tux earlier this year and I'm quite pleased with it. Used it on our Galaxy cruise and it came back in great condition during the cruise for the next formal night. I'd love to get one of their white dinner jackets but the only time they've had them on sale they didn't have and couldn't get my size. The jackets are a bit expensive at full price, especially considering I only wear formal stuff on cruises which is just once a year right now.

I was working in Germany through much of the 80's and moved there directly from the Pacific Northwest so Banks was a new merchant to me when I moved to Virginia. They're everywhere nowadays and I like their stuff. And....oh yes.....I know the Lenox area well also. DW bought her wedding dress there while on a business trip from Huntsville, AL. :)

Archived