Anthem June 2016 need advice for pre-cruise

annie39

Hi Everyone! Hubby, me, two tweens will be arriving at EWR 2 days before our cruise out of Cape Liberty and want to see the main attractions in NY or a day. In the interest of not getting a rental car and easy of transportation, my question is this: do we stay at a hotel near the port and find transportation into NY for a day (and then back to the hotel), OR do we just stay in NY and find transportation to the port the morning of the cruise? Not sure which option would be the most cost effective and least stressful. We are seasoned cruisers, but have never cruised out of the East coast before, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi Everyone! Hubby, me, two tweens will be arriving at EWR 2 days before our cruise out of Cape Liberty and want to see the main attractions in NY or a day. In the interest of not getting a rental car and easy of transportation, my question is this: do we stay at a hotel near the port and find transportation into NY for a day (and then back to the hotel), OR do we just stay in NY and find transportation to the port the morning of the cruise? Not sure which option would be the most cost effective and least stressful. We are seasoned cruisers, but have never cruised out of the East coast before, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

There are no hotels near the port. The Cape Liberty 411 (version 4) offers several alternatives. We stayed at Penn Station in Newark last year and used Path for visiting New York. We also took Path to Exchange Place and NJ Transit to 34 street station the morning of the cruise. It was then a mere $15.00 cab ride to Liberty.

Finally getting to your post - sorry for the delay. Could you provide more details? Exact dates? Hotel budget? Hotel bed configuration ( I.e. Two doubles, two queens, or either of those and a rollaway). What time does your flight arrive? What are the exact ages of your children? Can you manage your luggage on accessible public transit? Sightseeing objectives in NYC?

I know - lots of questions, but please answer them all so we can give you good advice.

For example, if you stay in Manhattan, it will cost you over $100 to get everyone to the port, but if you can take public transit you can get there for under $40. If you stay in the right place in NJ, you can get to the port for about $25.

Thank you both- I will check out the Liberty 411 thread.

Carol- We will arrive on the 14th and our ship leaves on the 16th. Kids are 11,13 and we can get by with 2 doubles and a modest budget (Think double-tree not a motel 6). We are pretty efficient travelers, so probably one suitcase each and a carry-on. I'm sure we can manage a small amount of public transportation with that and I'll try to time it so it's not during rush hours. We'll want to spend the afternoon and pm hours on the 14th at the hotel swimming and will spend the 15th seeing the main sites- Statue of Liberty and WTC site for sure. Maybe then go to see Radio City Music Hall and Times Square if time permits? Hope this helps you. Thanks so much!

$150 - $170 / night.

That's a super tight budget. You are looking for mid week rooms that are priced higher because of business travel. The only thing I am seeing is the Newark Courtyard at about $172 prepaid.

$32.35 for the 4 of you to go from the Newark Airport Station to Newark Penn Station and another $11 on Path to World Trade Center. Return from New York Penn Station (assuming you take the subway uptown after the Statue of Liberty and WTC) would be $47. From this hotel it would be cheaper for the 4 if you to take a cab to and from Newark Penn Station (about $25). Path is still $11, but the train is about $18.50.

To get to the port figure $65 each way - Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Call 4-6 weeks out.

If you give up the pool, there are other options with cheaper NY transportation.

We're also on a June cruise on Anthem (16th). We're booked at the Elizabeth NJ Embassy Suites, but we're only coming in the day before departure. The PATH train is your best option to take you to NYC. Back in 2010 however we stayed at an Embassy Suites located in NYC so it was very convenient for us. Saw the main things we wanted to see, the museum of history (free) and so were a lot other ones there as well. Ate cheap at a deli, and for dinner, not bad pricing either as at the time we too were on a tight budget.

We're also on a June cruise on Anthem (16th). We're booked at the Elizabeth NJ Embassy Suites, but we're only coming in the day before departure. The PATH train is your best option to take you to NYC. Back in 2010 however we stayed at an Embassy Suites located in NYC so it was very convenient for us. Saw the main things we wanted to see, the museum of history (free) and so were a lot other ones there as well. Ate cheap at a deli, and for dinner, not bad pricing either as at the time we too were on a tight budget.

PATH from Newark Penn Station to either 33rd St. or World Trade is the cheapest option to NYC, but you have to get to Newark Penn Station, which is the expensive trip leg by NJ Transit train and time consuming but inexpensive by NJ Transit local Newark bus. NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station is the fastest and most expensive option. You have to choose between time and money.