Car Rental Self Drive Tour?

cessnabmw

Has anyone done a self drive tour of the island?

What driving route would you take and what stops would you recommend?

I would like to map these out on Google maps in order or sequence and print out some maps and all for the day.

Would really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Here's my suggestion and you can research and modify as you wish. Drive south along the coast road, stop for a while at any of the lovely beaches. I like Turner's which will be the last one and not as busy as others. From there take Fig Tree drive (fig trees are actually bananas) past the zip lining - go for a zip if you wish.

When you come to "Our Lady of Perpetual Help" church, turn right and head to Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour area. Two destinations - the dockyard itself and Shirley Heights, you decide which to do first. Near the top at Shirley Heights, take the left fork to a parking lot where you will get great views. Then backtrack and take the right fork which will take you to the Shirley Heights bar/restaurant and wonderful views over English Harbour.

The dockyard is a museum and charges entrance. You can mosy around that whole area including the marina and just soak up the atmosphere, have an espresso or lunch...if you want a real treat, head to Catherine's cafe for lunch which is run by a French couple.

That's probably enough - head back to the ship on the direct route or back through Fig Tree drive if you have the time.

Roads are badly signposted, if at all. The island is only 10 x 10 miles so how lost can you get?

• 3 weeks later...

I've driven around Antigua a few times. Driving is very easy as the roads are fairly empty of other traffic. The main issue in my experience is the conditions of the car you get - even renting from Hertz or Avis doesn't mean a smart and new car, especially if you are off a cruise ship. The best cars are reserved for those staying at resorts and might want a car for more than a day. Also, the car rental companies tend not to have offices at the port so they meet you on the street, do the paperwork there, and give you the keys. This means you can't change your car if it's a wreck. Our last car from Hertz was an old Toyota Corolla.

Anyway, you can cover a lot of the island as distances are modest. On our last trip we drove right across the island to Half Moon Bay where we stayed back in the 1980s. The hotel is now a ruin but the beach is sensational and deserted. We drove back along the south coast to Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard (cute but very touristy), we swam from the public beach next to the Curtain Bluff Resort, and back to the port, past some more great beaches. Our favourite was Darkwood.

Antigua doesn't have particularly great scenery. In fact, it's quite dull. There are a few pretty villages and churches but that's about it. This is a beach place.

I'd recommend renting cars on several islands - Anguilla, Dominica, St Martin, Barbados, St Kitts were the best. Martinique has nightmare traffic, though we did get a brand new Opel Insignia, and St Lucia isn't recommended at all. The ABC islands are also good for car rentals. On Aruba we rented a new Jeep Wrangler - a huge machine - which cost us nearly $200!

Edited by Fletcher

I've driven around Antigua a few times. Driving is very easy as the roads are fairly empty of other traffic. The main issue in my experience is the conditions of the car you get - even renting from Hertz or Avis doesn't mean a smart and new car, especially if you are off a cruise ship. The best cars are reserved for those staying at resorts and might want a car for more than a day. Also, the car rental companies tend not to have offices at the port so they meet you on the street, do the paperwork there, and give you the keys. This means you can't change your car if it's a wreck. Our last car from Hertz was an old Toyota Corolla.

Anyway, you can cover a lot of the island as distances are modest. On our last trip we drove right across the island to Half Moon Bay where we stayed back in the 1980s. The hotel is now a ruin but the beach is sensational and deserted. We drove back along the south coast to Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard (cute but very touristy), we swam from the public beach next to the Curtain Bluff Resort, and back to the port, past some more great beaches. Our favourite was Darkwood.

Antigua doesn't have particularly great scenery. In fact, it's quite dull. There are a few pretty villages and churches but that's about it. This is a beach place.

I'd recommend renting cars on several islands - Anguilla, Dominica, St Martin, Barbados, St Kitts were the best. Martinique has nightmare traffic, though we did get a brand new Opel Insignia, and St Lucia isn't recommended at all. The ABC islands are also good for car rentals. On Aruba we rented a new Jeep Wrangler - a huge machine - which cost us nearly $200!

Thank you for the help and insight!

Do you think the route below would be do-able in the time we have?

antigua.JPG

cessnabmw - I'd not do the DickensonBay road or the Hawksbill road. Otherwise, there's a lot to see and enjoy. Personally I'd rather do it in a BMW than a Cessna!

Thanks!

What do you (or anyone else) think of this route then? What are the best beaches to see in Antigua?

antigua%20v2.JPG

That looks fine to me - we've done this route except for the northern loop up to Runaway Beach. I think that area gets very crowded and busy if a big ship (or maybe 3 big ships) are in port. As soon as you head east you lose the crowds.

That looks fine to me - we've done this route except for the northern loop up to Runaway Beach. I think that area gets very crowded and busy if a big ship (or maybe 3 big ships) are in port. As soon as you head east you lose the crowds.

Great! Thanks!

• 9 months later...

You made a lot of interesting points in your post about car rental on these islands...We're about to board a cruise that'll take us to six ports in September, and we were wondering whether to try to get rental cars there or not - I have my reservations, and what you described sounds a lot like what I've been afraid of!! But you said you'd definitely recommend it on Barbados and St. Maarten, did I understand that correctly? Can you recommend a company in particular? Also, can you explain a little more what you mean by "St. Lucia isn't recommended at all"? Thanks very much in advance!

Kat