New to Princess What Do I Need to Know?!

laniriveira

1) No "first to the fun" - your cabin will be ready when you board.

2) You can't make reservations for specialty dining, the sanctuary, etc until you are on the ship.

3) The Future Cruise Deposits cost $100pp and are good for 2 years and can request a 2 year extension. They are fully refundable, if you don't use. OBC ranges from $15-$150 depending on cabin & length of cruise.

4) Coffee card costs $33 for 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed coffee, tea, hot chocolate. If you don't use all 15 specialty coffees, you can use on your next cruise (no more brewed:().

5) OBC is stackable, very few restrictions for that.

6) Veterans get OBC ($50-$250) by sending a copy of the DD214 - only need to send it once, it goes on your record.

7) One MDR is usually open for lunch on embarkation day. Don't ask a crew member for directions, they will send you to the buffet. Check the Patter (in your cabin when you board) or just go to the MDRs on 5 & 6 and see which one is open.

There is more!! Others will chime in with the stuff I left out.

Buy 100 shares of Carnival CCL and receive an additional OBC. Also pays a decent dividend.

On our recent Caribbean Princess 23 day cruise the HC did not open until 6 AM

The International Cafe starts putting out fresh delicious apple and blueberry turnovers around 4:30 AM and if you take their regular brewed coffee there is no extra charge or a coffee card is not needed.

The line for dinner for ATD starts forming at the Coral Dining Room on deck 5 around 4:45PM. We liked eating early to make the first show and obtain a decent seat in the theater.

Howard

Sailing Star Princess next week. I have cruised with Carnival, NCL and Disney. What info/tips/advice can you share that will help a first time Princess cruiser. Anything done differently on Princess compared to lines I've sailed? Thanks in advance for the help!

The answers already given are good. My only input is to just enjoy the cruise. Relax and go with the flow.:)

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Hi Treven

Last few chefs tables I have done, there was no longer any meetings or discussion, there was a form about food allergies, but general feeling was if you said yes you would not get picked,

It was not like the old days, no choice.

yours Shogun

Must say we are going in the next few months on our first Princess cruise and by reading the comments you learn so much. We have been on Celebrity the last few years so lets see how this goes

I really don't think you'll be disappointed with what Princess has to offer.

I know I can't judge Celebrity by just my only cruise on the Millie, but I'm very pleased with Princess.

Edited by Treven

We too are first time Princess cruisers. So be gentle with us:)

So are you saying no matter how early you get on your room is ready? No waiting until 1:00 or 1:30 PM for your cabin?

With that said. What is the earliest you can get on-board? On other cruise lines we have been on as early as 11:00 or 11:30 AM.

Thank!

Where are you crushing from?

In San Francisco I have seen them letting people into the terminal around 10:30 am. In San Francisco nobody boards the ship until it's cleared by customs. The first to board are wedding party's, people rebording the ship, and people that are doing BVE, which is a tour of the ship with lunch in the Main Dinning Room. The BVE must be arranged in advance with Princess and is for people not going on the cruise but you can join someone doing the BVE, like a friend or other family member not on the cruise. The BVE is a good way to board the ship prior to other passengers if you have someone sign up with Princess. Usually after this they board other passengers. As I said I'm familiar with San Francisco so other ports may be different.

Welcome to Princess and enjoy your cruise.

Tom😀

Hi Treven

Last few chefs tables I have done, there was no longer any meetings or discussion, there was a form about food allergies, but general feeling was if you said yes you would not get picked,

It was not like the old days, no choice.

yours Shogun

Bummer! Well, we plan on trying out the steakhouse one night.