Balcony Doors on QM2

rula40

If you leave your balcony door open, your neighoring cabins (at least the aft cabin) will have a considerable 'hummmmmm'. When we asked our steward about the noise, he explained it was a result of the next door cabin's balcony door being left open. Fortunately it wasn't an issue on our second cruise as it was April in the North Atlantic. Jodi

Your balcony door is like a french door not a sliding glass door. There is quite a bit of pressure when you open and close the door to exit or come into your room. Often, you need to grab hold of the door when using it so that you don't loose control. In order to keep it open you would have to prop a heavy object like a chair to keep it open. It's possible to do, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I sailed in July. I had a balcony cabin. I turned off my AC unit and opened my door every single nite of the crossing. It was wonderful, listening to the water running under the ship. My balcony door stayed open my itself although I did put the small little balcony table in front to prop it open just in case. No one complained. When I would go to open my cabin door, I did shut the balcony door first other wise the draft made a huge wind that was almost ferrocious. I would do it all again!

Actually, I believe it has more to do with the air conditioning systems - it puts a heavy load on the unit if the door is left open.

Nothing to do with air conditioning. Air shuts off automatically when door is opened.

The problem with leaving the balcony doors open is that people go out and leave them that way and they bang loudly and continuously.

This happened on a recent crossing, and the constant banging was very disruptive. The crew had a difficult time stopping it because they couldn't locate it easily. It finally stopped after a few hours, so I suppose someone came back to their cabin, or the crew found it. But then it happened again a few times during the crossing.

Please, it's very annoying for other passengers.

I kept mine propped open with a pillow. The force of the wind was enough to keep pressure applied against the pillow and what little movement there was was muffled. No banging at all.

I did hear a hum one night and shut the door so as not to bother passengers in surrounding cabins.

I wouldn't think of leaving the cabin with the door propped open. I would be too concerned with theft since balconies have a common door that can be opened.

My solution is rather simple.....

I sleep on the balcony (well - for an hour or so).

I wrap up in one of the delightful robes, and maybe take a blanket, too.

Lovely way to drift off - sound of the sea, sound of the wind and best of all...... I'm not even disturbed by my wife's snoring.....

(A glass of champagne helps to make it really decadent!!!)

;) We were on the HAL Rotterdam for vacation for two years in a roll going to the Caribbean. We found that their doors had vents on the bottom of the doors for air passage. Using the balcony doors on that ship will cause a violate air passage thru the room and out the vent. Everything in the room, the separation curtain, bedding and door curtain went flying around. Also by the door there was a loud whistle. Wrong to make.

I am not sure what would occur on a QE2 or QM2.

I know we did open the door on the Caronia at a slow speed thru a New England-Canada Trip. Yes, finally no wind thru the room, no banging around, etc.. and we enjoyed it open with the open sea sounds.

Regards,

Archived