Observations from 11/1-6/15 Carnival Miracle

Coribdx

Not a complete review, but a few notes and observations from our cruise...

This is my husbands and my 5th cruise, but our first with Carnival. We chose the Carnival line for a few different reasons, price and our proximity to the port were first and foremost of importance.

I had the FTTF in my cart, and didn't realize that I needed to pay for it immediately, and since my cruise was paid in full I figured I could pay for it when I completed the paperwork. Imagine my disappointment to find it missing from my cart, and no other FTTFS available. I sent Carnival a message, and they said they would put me on a waiting list. I was tickled pink to get an email on the Friday before our Sunday departure, informing us that we had been added to FTTF. I was even more tickled when we got to the port, and saw the never ending, long snaking line to check in. I then saw the FTTF sign, and there was NO wait. It was amazing.

My husband made the mistake of putting a leatherman multi tool in our carry on. Big costly mistake. Security said you can take it back to your car. Unfortunately, we were dropped off, by our son, so no go. Rather than give it to TSA, we noticed another couple having to take something back to their car. My husband gave it to him instead. Lesson learned.

Back to the FTTF- in Cabo, we were told to be in the Alchemy lounge at a certain time, and were literally on the second tender leaving the ship. I felt bad for the groups that were 25-30. They probably got less than 3 hours in port.

The cheers program is awesome- nuff said!

We really felt that the food quality was not up to snuff. Sea Day brunch was nice, but by the time that the food got from the main galley to the dining room, it was cold. The Lido was a complete joke. Long, long lines snaking around the deck. People are sure serious about their food, because I have never seen such heathen behavior to get to a darn chocolate fountain. My daughter jokingly said "it's ok, I've had chocolate dipped fruit before- you go ahead". The omelette bar turned out to be our go to for breakfast, because we could at least get some hot food. Everything we had seemed to be lacking in seasoning. The grill was a joke. Both my husband and I got ice cold burgers and hot dogs.

Cabin selection- learned another lesson here- Cabin 8212 is right below the Lido, and unfortunately, the slamming and banging started in each day at about 4:00AM. This certainly did not make for a restful slumber.

We really were impressed with Rodney from the Red Frog Pub, as well as our Dinner servers. They were rockstars

They wouldn't let him have a multi tool? We never have problems bringing a buck knife and wine server tool thing

Before I get slammed for carrying a knife I help w family's farm a couple times a week and always have it to cut twine on hay bales and it just feels weird not having it

No, really they wouldn't ! We asked to speak to a supervisor, etc. explained that the blade was small, etc... and no go. So rather than letting TSA have it, he gifted it to someone else. Funny, I didn't know he had packed one in the carry on, and he didn't know I had packed one in our suitcase. Guess who's leatherman made it on board.. :D

NO do not put it into your carry on... the one I did manage to get on was in our checked suitcase, at the bottom, near the wheels. I'm guessing this is how it got overlooked. We also laughed, that we were able to bring on a pair of scissors.

Not a complete review, but a few notes and observations from our cruise...

This is my husbands and my 5th cruise, but our first with Carnival. We chose the Carnival line for a few different reasons, price and our proximity to the port were first and foremost of importance.

I had the FTTF in my cart, and didn't realize that I needed to pay for it immediately, and since my cruise was paid in full I figured I could pay for it when I completed the paperwork. Imagine my disappointment to find it missing from my cart, and no other FTTFS available. I sent Carnival a message, and they said they would put me on a waiting list. I was tickled pink to get an email on the Friday before our Sunday departure, informing us that we had been added to FTTF. I was even more tickled when we got to the port, and saw the never ending, long snaking line to check in. I then saw the FTTF sign, and there was NO wait. It was amazing.

My husband made the mistake of putting a leatherman multi tool in our carry on. Big costly mistake. Security said you can take it back to your car. Unfortunately, we were dropped off, by our son, so no go. Rather than give it to TSA, we noticed another couple having to take something back to their car. My husband gave it to him instead. Lesson learned.

Back to the FTTF- in Cabo, we were told to be in the Alchemy lounge at a certain time, and were literally on the second tender leaving the ship. I felt bad for the groups that were 25-30. They probably got less than 3 hours in port.

The cheers program is awesome- nuff said!

We really felt that the food quality was not up to snuff. Sea Day brunch was nice, but by the time that the food got from the main galley to the dining room, it was cold. The Lido was a complete joke. Long, long lines snaking around the deck. People are sure serious about their food, because I have never seen such heathen behavior to get to a darn chocolate fountain. My daughter jokingly said "it's ok, I've had chocolate dipped fruit before- you go ahead". The omelette bar turned out to be our go to for breakfast, because we could at least get some hot food. Everything we had seemed to be lacking in seasoning. The grill was a joke. Both my husband and I got ice cold burgers and hot dogs.

Cabin selection- learned another lesson here- Cabin 8212 is right below the Lido, and unfortunately, the slamming and banging started in each day at about 4:00AM. This certainly did not make for a restful slumber.

We really were impressed with Rodney from the Red Frog Pub, as well as our Dinner servers. They were rockstars

Thanks for your post. I'm booked on this cruise and have been dreading the food situation. Why they did not add better food stations when they did the upgrade baffles me. On this cruise I will be taking my cereal bars for breakfast. I can't eat eggs everyday and I don't eat pork bacon or the tons of carbs available on the lido.

I hadn't planned on getting FTTF, but I think it's worth it to ensure we get off the ship early.

• 1 month later...

Just got off today. Quick Review.. Also not my first cruise, But haven't used Carnival for 20 years.

FTTF Boarding a breeze, Got there at 10:45am. Boarded little after 12 and Room was ready.

Your Time Dining... Yes Your time to the dining room.. Get there after 6:30 and your time becomes a pager and a wait. Not impressed, However after 3rd night made friends with the hostess and was seated much faster. After seating an hour to hour and a half of dinner, Not my cup of tea

Food Quality. A very subjective opinion, Some people like McDonalds as well as hometown buffet. 2 out of the 7 meals in the dining room were marginal. Maybe I just chose the wrong dish's who knows. Ive been on 5 cruises in the last 3 years and haven't had the problem. Tried the lido one night. To our surprise one station was open with hot food, The other was sandwiches, and then pizza. Lunch a few days walked around and either the lines were too long or the food just didn't look appealing. Stir Fry galore .. Even long lines for burgers.

Room attendant great as usual, Always there to help.

Shows weren't bad, Games were good, and live music for the most part was good.

Dismembarment - Also a breeze. ..

All in all unless there is an absolute must of an itinerary or a very substantial cost difference, Carnival will not be our choice. ..

• 2 weeks later...
Dismembarment - Also a breeze. ..

All in all unless there is an absolute must of an itinerary or a very substantial cost difference, Carnival will not be our choice. ..

Where did you disembark from? I read a different thread that said it was terrible out of the Long Beach Port.

I have to agree with the OP. We were on the Miracle in November. The food was a huge let down. The lido was just bad. All the beef was tough as leather. The MDR was hit and miss. The biggest letdown was The steakhouse. The meat was tender but lacked flavor. The sides were no better than The MDR. The service was average. Even the dessert was ho hum. The only food that was standout was The pizza, it was terrific.

• 4 weeks later...

It really pays to do your homework ahead of time, and before you book. Study deck plans before selecting a cabin directly below a noisy public area such as the lido deck, disco etc.

A little due diligence on your part would have saved you from the noise from above.. ;)